If you could be told the exact date / time of your death

Square Wheels

I do.  As I have gotten older, one of the problems I have encountered with making any kinds of future plans is that you have no idea if you might go tomorrow or you might live another twenty years.  How you approach the final portion of your life would be far better managed if you knew exactly how much time you had left. 

2 minutes ago, Roadrunner said:

I do.  As I have gotten older, one of the problems I have encountered with making any kinds of future plans is that you have no idea if you might go tomorrow or you might live another twenty years.  How you approach the final portion of your life would be far better managed if you knew exactly how much time you had left. 

I get that exactly. Saw some green bananas in the store yesterday, and almost bought them.

• Heart 4

I had a very vivid dream when I was in my 30's.  My deceased Grandmother told me the exact date and time I would die.  It was about 10 years in the future.  I was startled awake and remembered it like it was real.

I took chances for the next 9 1/2 years but started to get a little nervous as the day approached.  Happily, I woke up the next morning.  

No. I would not want to be told. 

If I knew the exact date and time of my death, it would mean I was on death row in a prison in a foreign country, since Canada does not have the death penalty.

The thought of awaiting my own execution is quite unpleasant, and it raises some important questions. Why am I in this country's prison system and what did I do to deserve this punishment?

6 minutes ago, Destination said:

If I knew the exact date and time of my death, it would mean I was on death row in a prison in a foreign country, since Canada does not have the death penalty.

The thought of awaiting my own execution is quite unpleasant, and it raises some important questions. Why am I in this country's prison system and what did I do to deserve this punishment?

You know damn well why. You betrayed the party, and Big Brother found out.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I had a very vivid dream when I was in my 30's.  My deceased Grandmother told me the exact date and time I would die.  It was about 10 years in the future.  I was startled awake and remembered it like it was real.

I took chances for the next 9 1/2 years but started to get a little nervous as the day approached.  Happily, I woke up the next morning.  

No. I would not want to be told. 

If only Jim can be so lucky come Sunday morning.  We and he are prepared for it to not be so but maybe with a little luck on his side he will live to see another sunrise. 

I might look at it from the opposite perspective. Sometimes, death sounds like it might be very peaceful.  That might make it seem good if it was going to happen relatively soon. However, if it was going to be decades in the future, I might find myself regretting knowing, as I might think it may take a long time to achieve that peace.

And, if it was going to happen soon, I could pick out all of those people who I wanted to tell exactly what I thought of them, and do so, knowing that there would be little repercussion.

I do hope that when I go, I will be able to be remembered as a hero. Maybe I can save a child that fell into the bear pit at the zoo,  or something.