What would you choose for your last meal?

BuffJim

5 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Not trying to make this morbid at all but a cool story about requesting a last meal.  About a year ago I went to visit my brother who was  diagnosed with stage 4 liver cancer. The Dr gave him days/week to live so I flew up to WA to be with him for a couple of days.  He was already bleeding out internally and he knew the end was near.  His wife ran out to run some errands and my brother said, man I could really go for some beef jerky.  I said OK, where can I get some so he tells me where the nearest store was (he lived in the sticks).  He then says, oh get some coke, the real coke (he was diabetic so didn't drink real coke) and Twinkies and ho hos.  OK bro, whatever you want man.  So I made a run to the store, spent $50 on soda, jerky, candy, chips, ho ho's, twinkies etc.  and brought it back.  We sat there, shared stories, drank real coke, ate jerky and crap until our stomachs hurt.  It was awesome!

The next morning he had a massive bleed, went into a coma and died a few days later.  That was his last meal.  It was so cool to get him what he was craving and share it with him before he died. 

That is an awesome story, but with a horribly sad ending.  Sorry for your lose, but what a great time you had together.

21 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That is an awesome story, but with a horribly sad ending.  Sorry for your lose, but what a great time you had together.

Thanks man, yeah it was very special day as we both knew the end was near and enjoyed our time together.  It was a memory I'll always cherish. 

My husband serves last meals quite often.  He works with comfort care patients.  He does everything he can to bring them their favorite foods at the end.  

Some of his stories are very tough to hear.  If I am dying, I can only hope to get a nurse with as much compassion as my husband.

• Heart 3

6 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The next morning he had a massive bleed, went into a coma and died a few days later.  That was his last meal.  It was so cool to get him what he was craving and share it with him before he died. 

Very touching and bitter/sweet story, Chris. Thank you for telling us.

For me...Brisket dinner from Arthur Bryant's BBQ in K.C. Mo. 3 cold New Glarus Spotted Cows with the bbq. Apple pie, warm, with vanilla ice cream and a cup of black coffee for dessert.