Mr. Beanz Ride Journal (2016)

Mr. Beanz

January 30th 2016..........Well we set out to do a 60 miler, Green River on SART. At the start we ran into Dale who we hadn't seen in quite some time. Tall dude 6'6. Plus having Aimee with us I think we had the tallest and shortest person on the trail with us today ha ha! Dale hung with us from A stadium to Green River then back to the stadium.

I saw the forecast predict a 20% for about one hour today. What the heck is 20%? It never rains at 20%! But it was dark and somewhat cold so I opted for the tights and windbreaker. I really thought about leaving them as the others weren't wearing them but what the heck, it's along ride and you never know! While we were at Yorba Park Aimee asked Gina why we were so bundled up. Well she would find out later ha ha! About 2 miles before the coast 45 miles in it started to rain. I didn't ask questions, I had been at the front all day setting the pace so I just continued on hoping none of the others would object to continuing on ha ha! I really thought it would stop cause what the heck is 20% right? I was expecting Aimee to say something but she kept on. But by the time we got to the coast we were pretty much soaked. Figuring we would take a short break and head back before it got too wet. WRONG! Didn't stop but got heavier.

Well little Aimee had only a jersey and arm warmers. I'm wearing and under layer, jersey and a windbreaker. PI which does a pretty good job or repelling the water so I offer it to her cause she's starting to shiver with the wet cold. First she says no bu then Gina tells her to take hers and Gina will take mine. Good idea, closer match as far as fitting!

So we head back and right away I feel the wet strip up my back. Oh darn, this is going to get cold ha ha! Oh well it's better than little Aimee getting wet. But once I was pretty much soaked it didn't really feel all that cold to me so I was fine. Thighs a bit chilly but I was cool, get it he he he! Back at the cars Aimee did say that the windbreaker made a big difference and thanked Gina.You see, I always do nice things like offering up my windbreaker but Gina is always the one who gets thanked ha ha!

Joaquin did a section of the ride with us. Maybe 15 miles. But when it was at it's wettest, he flatted on the return. He dropped back and called out to Jose. We slowed wondering what was going on then Mike said Joaquin flatted. I asked the girls if we should stop. Hell NO! He he he it's wet out here! :-P

Anyway, it was a nice ride overall and happy that the others went along without questioning my authority he he he!  Lots of dirty faces after the ride.

Today we had Dale with us, 6'6. I think we had the shortest and tallest rider on the trail awards with us today ha ha!

013016A_zpsnfmpfacn.jpg

Is his bike the right size?

013016D_zpsovpnk6ns.jpg

013016K_zpsqjlefe5u.jpg

013016N_zpscoxejgdp.jpg

Getting a little wet!

013016O_zpswzfc6voa.jpg

After the ride. Soaked and mud up the back but still managed the sexy hip check pose he he he!

013016Q_zps16qo5xzz.jpg

Dirty face Gina!

013016R_zpseklvgoeg.jpg

People ask us why we don't ride in the rain. Why have to clean the mess when usually we can just wait one day to ride.

013016U_zps46n9j4v9.jpg

Poor Chuck go the worst of it!

013016T_zpspcd0enis.jpg

• Heart 3

I started at Indian Hill and Thompson Creek Trail. So I had a warm up but once you hit the trail you climb 2012 ft to Potato Mtn. I was worried about being cold so I wore 2 under layers. But once I arrived at the parking lot it felt warm enough to ditch one. Of course once you start climbing to Potato Mtn, you warm up real quick ha ha! The dirt starts at 5 and 6 % then quickly you find yourself on 10 and 12% grades. Later only to find 16 and 18% grades! :-O I tried to make it up all the way to the top non stop but once I climbed above the red clay section right at the base (where the bees were) I had to stop. I think it was more of a mental thing! You know when you finish a steep section then it curves and you see nothing but steeper ha ha! I haven't been up there in years so I figured it might happen this way so I am actually pretty happy making it to the point I did without stopping. I've seen plenty of riders walking a mile before that section so I'm good! Once I was above that point I was actually feeling more relaxed thinking I could make it all the way from there. WRONG! I hit a section with 18% and did pretty well.  The section that got me was right before the top. Loose rock and steep. I hit the rocks and had to put my foot down. Foot down or fall, I prefer the foot down ha ha! I waited about 30 seconds then tried to remount and no way! I had to walk about 10 yards beyond the rock cause there was no way! But it's all good. Maybe next time I can clean that section!

I did run into a pretty cool dude Patrick. Hiking up with them big stick things. I ran into him about a mile before the top so I was pretty happy. I always get this eerie feeling a lion is going to jump on my back or something. So it was nice to have someone near just in case I had to scream like a little baby he he he!

Total ride was 12 miles with 2.684 ft of gain. But from the park to the top is 4.5 with 2,012. Quite a climb!

0mtb1_zps7ijb63rz.jpg

DSCN2073_zpsou9wfj3h.jpg

DSCN2069_zpsrszzkaiv.jpg

Somebody left this little dude up there. Potato Mtn ha ha!

DSCN2067_zps3hmnwoy5.jpg

DSCN2061_zps6z1jnbnp.jpg

DSCN2058_zpspwx7qlip.jpg

0Potmtnelevation_zpsg5yj3wms.jpg

• Heart 3

Another 44 miles with Gina and Aimee. Mike started with us but was sick earlier this week. After 21 miles he decided he had enough so he rolled back alone while we continued on. Forecast said 20-30 mph winds. At one point we were doing 14 into a stiff headwind. Then it eased up. But the last 5 miles? Oh my gosh ha ha! :o

Ran into a couple of dudes about a month ago. So we continued the conversation today. Chuck and Steve! the bikini is there to show other states how we suffer in the winter. :lol:

020616A.JPG

020616B.JPG

020616C.jpg

0206160A.jpg

• Heart 2

Well today's forecast called for more wind than yesterday. Gina was at the hospital with her son again so today I headed off alone as none of my partners wanted to ride. Bunch of beer drinking nacho eaters he he he! If Gina hadn't have had to go to the hospital again we would have ridden the tandem. But since she couldn't ride today I said to myself a man has got to do what a man has got to do!:speedy: 

44 miles with a tough 17.0  average. Not bad considering the wind.

0BeanzBike_zpsxthfpud9.jpg

A little taste of the headwind. 42 miles in I was trying as hard as I could to keep that 17 average.:angry:

• Heart 2

Sunday  Valentines Day! 44 miles at 17.3 average with Gina on the tandem. Jose started with us but flatted. He told us to go ahead and he'd meet up with us after the repair. So we got to do nearly half the ride alone cause he ain't tat good at fixing flats ha ha! :D So turned out to be a pretty nice ride! :56bb29f6b08a1_thumbsup:

021416A_zps2qolutsh.jpg

• Heart 2

Some random clips on the trail I have so listen to some "Magic Man". Guy Jose R. is from River Velo. In the orange stripes. He was on the Breathless Agony ride when I did it. Then Frank. Looks a little slow in the video but these guys are pulling into some monstrous headwinds.  Then a couple of guys I've run into and know out there.

• Heart 1

60 miles at 16.4 average today. I have no idea what got into Gina today but she made it look easy. We were passing guys who were trying to stay on our wheel and she was just smiling away. Even acting a bit silly at the rest stops! One we got back to the truck we only had 59 miles so I asked if she wanted to roll on just to make it 60. Sure why not! Heck, she even passed and dropped some dude on short climb ha ha!

022016E_zpslbezgv9d.jpg

022016A_zpsbmxz7ipo.jpg

022016F_zpssv1wyg3m.jpg

022016N_zps1evjgqaw.jpg

• Heart 1

Taking advantage of a day off. 41 miles 5,033 ft gain. Woke up got lazy then thought about doing a short version of the ride. But at the start a friend Ron rode by and decided to ride with me. SO we ended up doing the entire climb of 21 miles. He went down the fast way but I went back across wanting a little more climbing to get in 5,000. At the bottom of the mountain I had 4950 feet so I had to turn around and go back up a little bit to get the extra gain ha ha!

DSCN2138_zpscutb06rs.jpg

These Big Man jerseys are not for me. Fit good in the upper body but the lower section is more like a maternity top ha ha! :D

DSCN2143_zpsda6kfuve.jpg

DSCN2146_zpswrfcbonf.jpg

0GMRRon1_zpsg1crs6iv.jpg

0GMRRon2_zpsorwhqcfi.jpg

• Heart 2

OK WHO IS IT???? Last couple of rides some dude has gone by in the opposite direction. He shouted "BEANZ!!!". Lat week I thought it might have been Ray from GMR but Gina says no. Today a dude shouted again, Gina says it was the same dude as last week. Seems today he might have been riding with his wife or just around some lady. But Gina says same dude. OK fess up! :-P

50 miles on the trail with Gina and Aimee today. 16.8 average. Gina did really well again this week. Stupid flat trail only gave me like 800 ft over the 50 miles. I was short 100 ft of 8,000 ft gain this week. :angry:

Gina & Aimee with a tandem and a couple other guys who hopped on our wheels. They were happy to sit back there for like 12 mile enjoying the draft.

DSCN2177_zpspouhvgv2.jpg

UH oh! The dude at the back got dropped. Gina had no mercy on anybody today!:lol:

DSCN2182_zpsu6gebhau.jpg

Gina all smiles on the ride again today!

DSCN2191_zpsrtpwtmoc.jpg

• Heart 1

Today my goal was to make it up to the high point without stopping. Mission accomplished! I looked at my time as I arrive and it said 2:13. Not bad! It did seem a little hotter today on the lower slopes. But once I was on GRR it was very nice, never cold but not hot. So I hit the high point and took a 11 minute break to mix some G and and down a Clif Bar.

So my stats were good!  5,026 ft gain, 38.7 miles, 11 minutes of break time and 18 PR's on Strava, all climbing PR's! :-)

Not many riders at all today! I saw 3 coming down as I was approaching the shack, that was it! I didn't see one rider on GRR.

Once I got down to the bottom I still needed about 500 ft to hit 5,000 gain for the day. So I headed back up. Bummer! When I got down to the bottom I reached down to drink what was left of my Gatorade but my bottle was gone! Darn it! I rode about a mile back up to reach my goal but no bottle. I thought about leaving it and counting it a loss but that is my go to bottle ha ha! So after I packed up the bike I drove up and found it at the 4 mile ridge. Good thing it rolled off the the side. I was worried I'd find it flat as a pancake but I lucked out ha ha!

20160302_125043_zpsvwsf6hnh.jpg

At the high point about 4200 ft of climbing at this point. Break time!

20160302_125148_zpswknqgcvy.jpg

0highplusmore_zps5yibvqws.jpg

• Heart 2

60.8 miles 16.2 average. Well I wanted to do GMR again today to get another 5,000 ft of climbing. But there is an 85% chance of rain tomorrow and I hate cleaning filthy bikes so we rode the tandem today instead. This way Gina could get in a few miles. If we did GMR, she had planned not to ride as it would be ride with the boys and she wouldn't keep up as we had planned to do a good effort. Oh what the heck, I like Gina more than the guys anyway ha ha! We ran into a couple of guys who sucked wheel. One for 30 miles but he said he was tired and couldn't give us any help. Umm OK!

20% chance of rain today. Cool! Slapped the windbreakers on the rack just in case. A few drops here and there but nothing to get wet about!

DSCN2204_zpstpy8h5y9.jpg

Ha ha! Gina rubbed my lower back and asked if it was hurting. Nope, but if you really want to rub me where it hurts..... Ha ha she didn't go for it!

DSCN2215_zpsnsgbfrhd.jpg

DSCN2214_zpslmttuodb.jpg

DSCN2224_zpshuqp55hd.jpg

Some very brave or very hungry birds.

DSCN2217_zpsn370okaf.jpg

• Heart 2

13 miles 2,024 ft of gain in the dirt. Wednesday Evening ride on the MTB. 2 loops at Claremont Hills Wilderness Park.

Experimenting with the set up of my MTB. Fork feels nice at 120 psi compared to the 180 rec'd by the MRG'r. Front tire feels nice at 35 psi but the rear felt squirmy at 40 psi. Think I will try 50 next time. :scratch head:

Same profile

0CHWP_zpsaf1mmmaj.jpg

44 miles at 17.3 average today. I wanted to ride up to Mt Baldy today but Gina had tire issues. I repaired but didn't feel comfortable having Gina ride mountain roads with a new tire. You never know how it's going to work until you have a chance to test it. So we rode the trail instead. Bummer but better safe than sorry! Gina did really really good again. A friend said he could tell she was riding strong! 

031216A.JPG

031216F.JPG

• Heart 1

Another 44 miles with Gina and Mike today (16.3 average). Gina started out a little slow but did fine once she warmed into the ride. It was a bit windier today and the headwind was stiff. Did get a good pull out of Mike nearing the coast. That helped! 

Heading to the coast.

031316A.JPG.e34a369c4073d1bd06af8451f96f

Every time we pass someone they hop on the back ha ha!

031316B.JPG.f67df08dda21eb76abd75af77209

OK, sitting tall to give Gna a good draft!

031316C.JPG.8d2dc6f393323f282c1826ea013e

Other riders wonder why we don't get hassled ridding through the gangland section of the trail. Well cause they think we are a gang! We make gang signs as we ride through so they don't bother us! :lol:

031316E.JPG.d41fdd63c9636c2abe65da2db30e

• Heart 1

Video from the weekend rides. Lots of mingling with the riders. Plus a friend on a tandem sent me video to use as well. He did part of the ride with us on Saturday so I got some footage of us as well. Near the end of the ride footage he told me when he was going to push hard on a Strava section. I stayed by his side then kicked at the end so I got a Strava PR out of it. Short segment. 3/10 of a mild 55 seconds, 26 average 29.3 max. Heck I know I can do better! :D

• Heart 1

Like I said, when I get a free day off, I ride he he he! Today I figured I'd go up GMR/GRR. I rode to the high point then turned around. Back along the 4 mile point I realized I wasn't going to reach my 5,000 ft gain goal so I turned around and headed back up a bit. Then down. Again at the bottom I was 300 ft short darnit! So I turned around again and headed back up for a mile or so. That sucks since I'm out of water at this point. So I was out of water when I hit the shack on the return. But sometimes a man has got to do what a man has got to do ha ha!

The MTB riding must be helping cause I was up GMR before I even realized I was getting tired ha ha! A couple points on GRR I was getting ready for the struggle then realized I was beyond the point I was dreading. OK I will take it! OK so the last 1/4 mile was a pain in the butt but hey, I think my legs were somewhat fried from the 2,000 ft MTB ride I did 2 evenings ago.

I was feeling pretty good thinking I'd have a good ride to the shack at least. But there was some road maintenance just before Newman's Point so I was forced to stop. Lost about 3 minutes or so there. Oh well got in a good breather!  But otherwise a really nice day to ride!

Man it is hard to get a good selfie on a 7% grade after 15 miles of climbing! :lol:

DSCN2233_zps67nro4ny.jpg

On the return. You can see the road above my helmet then beyond that continuing up the climb.

DSCN2245_zpsk1gktvdi.jpg

road shots

DSCN2230_zpsm5fp6f8a.jpg

DSCN2237_zpsr96pb4d0.jpg

The profile!

0GMRprofile_zpsecgvtprl.jpg

Got in a 60 miler today with Gina, Aimee, and the guys! I had the guys rotate today, no free rides ha ha! Gina did very well. 16.2 average.  Kind of sucked with a detour. I swear cyclists are the most "owed to" athletes that I have ever dealt with. Detours with direction specified lanes but no! The other riders insist on riding in the wrong direction. Squeezing 2 bikes heading in the opposite direction in a space barely big enough for one ride is pretty scary. But they do what they want to do!

Gina did very well even though she will say she didn't. But hey, riding a bike 60 miles is no small potatoes for the average mortal. :P

Don't know the dude in green but he was happy to sit on the back for 5 miles or so before he turned around.

DSCN2251_zpshgylzh4z.jpg

I told the guys today they were taking turns at the front. They did and I almost got spoiled in line. I thought about just sitting back there the entire time ha ha! But that ain't my style!

DSCN2256_zps4dewgbbu.jpg

Gina taking a turn at the front!

DSCN2277_zpsgivffjic.jpg

Almost over!

DSCN2280_zpsfr8ltnws.jpg

• Heart 1

44 miles at 18.0 average. No Gina today so I had a free pass. Ran into this guy after 30 miles. Heading into the wind he hopped on the back as I passed. After 4 miles or so he offered to take the front. He held the pace into the wind for about 1/2 mile then started to fade, I had to go back to the front cause he was ruining my average ha ha! Super sweet bike, deep carbon aero rims too! I'd bet $10,000+....I was riding my old 1998 Cannondale, I guess that goes to show it ain't always about the bike. :lol:

DSCN2288_zps6m4abfab.jpg

Darn chilly California weather! :P

DSCN2291.JPG

• Heart 1

Well I ran into some dude on the trail. I mentioned making videos so he asked me how much I would charge him to record him descending this big wall of a hill. In all fairness the video does not capture the grade of that monster. It was hard or him to push his bike up. Heck, 5 minutes and I was done. No charge this time ha ha! But I did make a Mr. Beanz version and a version he could show his wife without getting in trouble he he he!

Mr. Beanz version first!

His safe for the wife version

Another MTB ride.  13.6 miles with 2,014 elevation gain. I don't usually ride back to back days climbing on the MTB but tomorrow is my mother's birthday so I won't be able to ride. So I had to suck it up today ha ha! Yeah I can feel the fatigue at the start of a ride the day after. 320106237avatar

About the same as this ride of the past.

0CCW%20CHWP_zpswp9krrsw.jpg

Wow Gina did great! I was worried about her being tired from yesterday's 44 on the tandem at 16.6. Today she topped that with a 46 miler at 16.7 on her single bike ha ha! Rode with Aimee and Mike. After the ride we headed over to a little joint where they serve chicken and ribs at a good price. Easter celebration ha ha! Ran into a buddy who goes by Pinoybnter on forums (Ron). Dude has 7 bents and 13 bikes total. All nice stuff! He was with his buddy Jose (yellow helmet) and Terry.

DSCN2331_zpseojhqxkc.jpg

DSCN2336_zps3glzilqb.jpg

20160327_154832_zpsrndf9233.jpg

20160327_154826_zpsq3wy27wo.jpg

• Heart 1

I made a video because we ran into a couple of guys and had a little chat. Told them I would put them on video as they seemed interested with their tourist like attitude ha ha! Not many riders out so I made the ride section mainly on Gina and Aimee.

I was happy with Gina's ride. 16.6 on the tandem over 44 miles on Saturday. But on this Sunday she did a 16.7 over a 47 mile ride. Not bad as I was expecting he to be a bit slower. Heck maybe she has been carrying me on the tandem. :D

12.8 miles a bit over 2,000 ft gain on the MTB

I think my buddies were trying to keep the Beanz Man down! :whistle:

I've mentioned to them many times that I was somewhat confused as to why I could downhill on a roadie like a demon but really sucked on the MTB. Very frustrating but I had mentioned it to them many times. I wonder if competition had gotten the best of them. Me? I'd never not tell anybody anything hoping they wouldn't take away the one advantage I had on them.

But going downhill just didn't make sense to me. I was doing everything I do on the roadie but the balance was just not there. I'd drift off my line no matter how hard I tried to carve a turn. Once I was on the MTB a while (more seasonal than the roadie) my DH would improve but not drastically. I didn't understand it! About 3 weeks ago I looked into it and yes, mentioned it to my partners again. Yes I had told them of my current settings which were set to MFG'er suggested numbers. Never once did they say "that is too high!"

So I found a video by a dude who actually weighs more than I do, by 40 pounds and he has his shock set to 110 psi. Mine is set to 180 psi per MFG'er.:o The dude says it made a big difference so I gave it a try. I mentioned it on a forum and even ChrisL said that seemed very high.  As well as my tire pressure. I went down from 60 psi to 30 in the front. 35 in the rear feels good to me.

SO it made a big difference over the last couple of weeks. But today I figured I would slow the rebound. Took a chance and went all the way slow! It had been set to high and to medium the last couple weeks. Today I went to slowest and HO HO HO CRAP!!!!! Man I rolled right over the ruts and bumps like a Cadillac!:hapydance:

I read that even the climbing may be better as the bike is not bucking you off. So maybe it was the better traction today but on Strava the times on the initial climb of my second loop today was 10 seconds faster than those set in past years and months! Short section about 100 yards but dang that is a lot.

Then each on of my descents were and average of 2.5 MPH faster than ever! :o That's a 2 mile descent!

Plus my 2 lap time is like 6 minutes better than ever!

Whoah this made a huge difference! Thank goodness some people are willing to make videos and put them out there as guides for others to benefit! Watching that one guys's video just changed my life! :skipping:

Freaking friends! Now I'm going to spank them on the downhills too!

Same ride today and faster than ever! B)

0CCW%20CHWP_zpswp9krrsw.jpg

This is Mario. We met last week on a mountain bike ride. He saw the recorder on my bike and asked me to make a video for him. I made 2. One for Mario that would not upset his wife and one Mr. Beanz style ha ha! I guess he watched my video and got a kick out of the slo mo but shaking ha ha! Well he asked me to make another video for him and asked me to put in the slo mo ha ha! FTR, my Mr. Beanz style video has a whole lot more views than his clean cut video. So people ask me why I do it, view count baby! I asked him if he was sure as I did not want to upset his wife but he said she was cool with it. OK!

BTW, it's a pain in the butt climbing 2000 ft with a tripod strapped to your back! :lol:

Whatever those Power Bar shot things Gina has been eating on rides, MORE MORE!:D

44+ miles at 18.0 average today. Gina felt strong on the bike today. She scored another 25 PR's on Stava today.

Pics and video coming at later time. Plans right now, no time to post.

Had a chance to ride alone today. Gina had business and my other buds were out of town. So I had nobody to slow me down and nobody to help. I can't believe the wimpy riders out there!At one point I caught some guy that I thought might work with me. But once I started to roll by he lifted his pace and tried to match me. I'm thinking like WTF if you work with me we will both be better. But he started sweating profusely after a minute or two then dropped back and latched on my wheel. Then later I waved him to the front and he refused. He said I hope you don't expect me to help you today, my good bike is in the shop!". WTH! His bike had to be at least 3 times the price of mine. I did have thoughts of sticking my pump in his spokes at one time but you didn't hear that from me! :whistle:

What's up with Strava? I had an 18.3 on my device and 18.3 on the Garmin site but stupid Strava jacked me with an 18.1. Oh well. I always use Garmin as my main source!

040316_zpsdop3tr5m.jpg

018.3average_zpseojujjvq.jpg

Although the bike is in the video above (post #38), I thought I would also post a few pics here. This gal Shawna had this bike custom painted, pink everything including Zips. When I was taking pics of it she said, "make sure to get my pink Zips in the picture!". :lol:

DSCN2343.JPG

DSCN2345.JPG

DSCN2349.JPG

• Heart 1

Another 12 miles and 2010 ft of gain in the dirt today. 2 loops around the trail on the MTB. Garmin said average of 95 today and boy was it hot! I usually see 30-40 hikers on the first loop, today was about 10 ha ha! Good thing about the heat is it scares away a lot of the traffic! :lol:

On 4/8/2016 at 1:37 PM, Reverend_Maynard said:

I always get a kick out of the profile of the rides you do.  Around here, there just aren't any trails or roads that just go up for miles then down for miles.  This is a pretty typical elevation profile of a MTB ride...

elevation_profile.png

Wow! I've seen profiles from other MTB riders on the forums. I mentioned once that I crashed, yeah got busted up. Some gal said if I didn't crash once a month I was not riding hard enough. Uhh no! :P I know the graphs are much different and if I crashed once a month around here, I would be in a wheel chair now! 

I wish I had more of that type with some woods and logs and stuff. B)

Today 60 miles at 17.6 average. Nice wet ride but we were prepared. I had my windbreaker, Mike his plastic poncho and Jose had his swimming trunks ha ha! Mike set a PR on the 60 mile ride and Jose rode really strong today. Jose was killing it today! Ended up dropping Mike the last 4 miles. We slowed to about 13 but Mike popped and said go for it. We tried to wait for him but he had to do his pace back in survival mode.

041016A_zpsykg2js4j.jpg

041016B_zps9r01pwxb.jpg

OK today was a Bad Azz ride! 3 loops around the MTB park. 18 miles total with 3,015 ft of gain.

Some stats on Strava that make it cool.

834 riders do 1 climb

Only 25 have done 3 laps all time all riders.

Only 4 over 200 all time have done 3 laps

Only 2 this year have done 3 laps!  B)

Check out the profile!

3%20Loops_zps01kcmhpu.jpg

041316A_zpsj5bcd7xm.jpg

9 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

OK today was a Bad Azz ride! 3 loops around the MTB park. 18 miles total with 3,015 ft of gain.

Some stats on Strava that make it cool.

834 riders do 1 climb

Only 25 have done 3 laps all time all riders.

Only 4 over 200 all time have done 3 laps

Only 2 this year have done 3 laps!  B)

Check out the profile!

3%20Loops_zps01kcmhpu.jpg

041316A_zpsj5bcd7xm.jpg

It's the total recall ride!

mary_prostitute_with_3_boobs_from_total_

• Heart 1

Went back to the MTB trail hoping that I could get in one good climb. Each climb is about 800 ft. I thought if I was OK I might try 2 climbs. It was more of a ride where you push yourself to keep going. You know you are tired and burnt from the day before but you go with the hopes of gaining some fitness. Well I made it taking it easy just trying to get up the hill. At the end of 2 I had about 1700 ft so what the heck, go up another partial climb and make it 2,000 for good health. :P

When I did my 3 climbs yesterday I encounter a pretty good crowd of bees. Seemed like I was crossing a bee highway of about 50 yards. So in order to avoid the bees, I climbed to the high point then descended for repeats. Mr. Beanz don't feel like a swollen face again! :angry:

2.25%20Climbs_zps6lo6cphl.jpg

• Heart 1

44 miles at 17.5 average. Jose and I hit the trail today. Seriously my legs felt really toasty today. I did the 3 loops at Claremont Hills on Wed eve. Then I did another 2 1/2 on Thursday evening. For a grand total of like 28 or so dirt miles with 5,000 ft of gain. So yeah the legs were toasty today ha ha! I told Jose that I would hold the pace down and if I get dropped, I get dropped. Gina hasn't been able to ride during the week so instead of getting my easy stretching miles during the week, I have been pushing a little harder trying to get into shape.

So it took me about 10 miles to loosen up the legs. Later in the ride we ran into Joaquin at Edna Park. He usually hops on mid ride after we have 25 or so. He does Edna to the coast and back so he's usually fresh by the time he joins us. He'll sit in line then lift the pace on us most times. So today Jose had a plan. He said, "let him pull us ha ha!". I had no objections he he he!

Seems he tried to lift the pace a few times but we kept up no problem. After some fighting the wind it seemed his pace slowed but we just held back in line figuring if we help him, he'll try to lift the pace on us during the return leg of 10 miles. Just when we thought it was about to slow, some dude came from behind and took the front. I really don't know where he came from but he says he saw us around the wooden bridge at Edna. We must have just left the park when he saw us from behind. We had a chat at the beach stop, calls himself Don Wonderful ha ha!

So Joaquin was holding about 18 for quite some time. Then he slowed to about 16. Just when we thought we were in for an easy ride, Don Wonderful came around to the front and lifted the pace to 20. I could tell he was a strong rider so heck, I was happy to just stay at the back today and enjoy the ride. Very steady consistent rider and pace so staying in the draft was smooth. At one point he slowed on one of the uphill ramps and that's when Joaquin raced around and lifted the pace again. That's Joaquin's signature move, wait till you show a sign of getting tired then sprint around.

I could tell Don Wonderful was a strong rider so I knew he would not get dropped by Joaquin's sprint. I was worried about my legs and knowing that when I pull for 80 of our rides, he's going to shoot around when he gets a chance. I was ready ha ha so I pushed at the right ties and he didn't go anywhere.

Later when Joaquin was in front I was thinking about taking the front but I was following Jose's plan this time so I stayed back. But Don Wonderful ended up at the front again somewhere along the line doing another good pull. Btu sure enough about 1/4 mile before the end of the tail Joaquin race around and lifted the pace for one last good push. I was thinking, "poor Don, that's whack!". You know me, I never ride someone's wheel then sprint around without letting them catch their breath to recover. But that's the fun in Joaquin's ride ha ha!

Well today felt kind of funny cause as all my ride partners know, I;m at the front for 80-90% of most our rides so hanging back today felt funny. But following Jose's strategy I held back and let Joaquin do most the work. And my gosh Jose, was right! On the return Joaquin lifted the pace a couple of times but didn't do much racing. Finally about 3 or 4 miles left to go Joaquin asked Jose to take the front. Oh cool! I was thinking it would be a lift the pace blast to the finish ride. It wasn't. Jose had ridden with Joaquin many times so I guess he has him figured out ha ha! 

Don Wonderful

041616A.jpg.afa2464012ab1f5a907eee0c8521041616B.jpg.1f521b80065d57afc4b38a0f277f

Look at me, I'm an angel! :lol:

041616E.jpg.2ba02a2117558b94e3beb3e62b2d

• Heart 1