Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mr. Beanz

Mr. Beanz Ride Journal (2016)

January 30th 2016..........Well we set out to do a 60 miler, Green River on SART. At the start we ran into Dale who we hadn't seen in quite some time. Tall dude 6'6. Plus having Aimee with us I think we had the tallest and shortest person on the trail with us today ha ha! Dale hung with us from A stadium to Green River then back to the stadium.

I saw the forecast predict a 20% for about one hour today. What the heck is 20%? It never rains at 20%! But it was dark and somewhat cold so I opted for the tights and windbreaker. I really thought about leaving them as the others weren't wearing them but what the heck, it's along ride and you never know! While we were at Yorba Park Aimee asked Gina why we were so bundled up. Well she would find out later ha ha! About 2 miles before the coast 45 miles in it started to rain. I didn't ask questions, I had been at the front all day setting the pace so I just continued on hoping none of the others would object to continuing on ha ha! I really thought it would stop cause what the heck is 20% right? I was expecting Aimee to say something but she kept on. But by the time we got to the coast we were pretty much soaked. Figuring we would take a short break and head back before it got too wet. WRONG! Didn't stop but got heavier.

Well little Aimee had only a jersey and arm warmers. I'm wearing and under layer, jersey and a windbreaker. PI which does a pretty good job or repelling the water so I offer it to her cause she's starting to shiver with the wet cold. First she says no bu then Gina tells her to take hers and Gina will take mine. Good idea, closer match as far as fitting!

So we head back and right away I feel the wet strip up my back. Oh darn, this is going to get cold ha ha! Oh well it's better than little Aimee getting wet. But once I was pretty much soaked it didn't really feel all that cold to me so I was fine. Thighs a bit chilly but I was cool, get it he he he! Back at the cars Aimee did say that the windbreaker made a big difference and thanked Gina.You see, I always do nice things like offering up my windbreaker but Gina is always the one who gets thanked ha ha!

Joaquin did a section of the ride with us. Maybe 15 miles. But when it was at it's wettest, he flatted on the return. He dropped back and called out to Jose. We slowed wondering what was going on then Mike said Joaquin flatted. I asked the girls if we should stop. Hell NO! He he he it's wet out here! :-P

Anyway, it was a nice ride overall and happy that the others went along without questioning my authority he he he!  Lots of dirty faces after the ride.

Today we had Dale with us, 6'6. I think we had the shortest and tallest rider on the trail awards with us today ha ha!

013016A_zpsnfmpfacn.jpg

Is his bike the right size?

013016D_zpsovpnk6ns.jpg

013016K_zpsqjlefe5u.jpg

013016N_zpscoxejgdp.jpg

Getting a little wet!

013016O_zpswzfc6voa.jpg

After the ride. Soaked and mud up the back but still managed the sexy hip check pose he he he!

013016Q_zps16qo5xzz.jpg

Dirty face Gina!

013016R_zpseklvgoeg.jpg

People ask us why we don't ride in the rain. Why have to clean the mess when usually we can just wait one day to ride.

013016U_zps46n9j4v9.jpg

Poor Chuck go the worst of it!

013016T_zpspcd0enis.jpg

Nice ride and thread!  I totally agree that I hate cleaning up the grit after a ride, as well as even getting it all over the bike and me at all!  Maybe your posts will convince Hip of the merits of road riding. She has retreated to the woods except for the commute, I think.

I started at Indian Hill and Thompson Creek Trail. So I had a warm up but once you hit the trail you climb 2012 ft to Potato Mtn. I was worried about being cold so I wore 2 under layers. But once I arrived at the parking lot it felt warm enough to ditch one. Of course once you start climbing to Potato Mtn, you warm up real quick ha ha! The dirt starts at 5 and 6 % then quickly you find yourself on 10 and 12% grades. Later only to find 16 and 18% grades! :-O I tried to make it up all the way to the top non stop but once I climbed above the red clay section right at the base (where the bees were) I had to stop. I think it was more of a mental thing! You know when you finish a steep section then it curves and you see nothing but steeper ha ha! I haven't been up there in years so I figured it might happen this way so I am actually pretty happy making it to the point I did without stopping. I've seen plenty of riders walking a mile before that section so I'm good! Once I was above that point I was actually feeling more relaxed thinking I could make it all the way from there. WRONG! I hit a section with 18% and did pretty well.  The section that got me was right before the top. Loose rock and steep. I hit the rocks and had to put my foot down. Foot down or fall, I prefer the foot down ha ha! I waited about 30 seconds then tried to remount and no way! I had to walk about 10 yards beyond the rock cause there was no way! But it's all good. Maybe next time I can clean that section!

I did run into a pretty cool dude Patrick. Hiking up with them big stick things. I ran into him about a mile before the top so I was pretty happy. I always get this eerie feeling a lion is going to jump on my back or something. So it was nice to have someone near just in case I had to scream like a little baby he he he!

Total ride was 12 miles with 2.684 ft of gain. But from the park to the top is 4.5 with 2,012. Quite a climb!

0mtb1_zps7ijb63rz.jpg

DSCN2073_zpsou9wfj3h.jpg

DSCN2069_zpsrszzkaiv.jpg

Somebody left this little dude up there. Potato Mtn ha ha!

DSCN2067_zps3hmnwoy5.jpg

DSCN2061_zps6z1jnbnp.jpg

DSCN2058_zpspwx7qlip.jpg

0Potmtnelevation_zpsg5yj3wms.jpg

Another 44 miles with Gina and Aimee. Mike started with us but was sick earlier this week. After 21 miles he decided he had enough so he rolled back alone while we continued on. Forecast said 20-30 mph winds. At one point we were doing 14 into a stiff headwind. Then it eased up. But the last 5 miles? Oh my gosh ha ha! :o

Ran into a couple of dudes about a month ago. So we continued the conversation today. Chuck and Steve! the bikini is there to show other states how we suffer in the winter. :lol:

020616A.JPG

020616B.JPG

020616C.jpg

0206160A.jpg

Well today's forecast called for more wind than yesterday. Gina was at the hospital with her son again so today I headed off alone as none of my partners wanted to ride. Bunch of beer drinking nacho eaters he he he! If Gina hadn't have had to go to the hospital again we would have ridden the tandem. But since she couldn't ride today I said to myself a man has got to do what a man has got to do!:speedy: 

44 miles with a tough 17.0  average. Not bad considering the wind.

0BeanzBike_zpsxthfpud9.jpg

A little taste of the headwind. 42 miles in I was trying as hard as I could to keep that 17 average.:angry:

Wed miles, 12.6 with 2,012 feet gain this evening. 2 loops at Claremont Hills Wilderness Park. MY legs were tired from pushing through the wind on Sunday so I sure felt them complaining on the climbs today! :D 

021016A_zpsjr3fnehs.jpg

0CHWP_zpsaf1mmmaj.jpg

Sunday  Valentines Day! 44 miles at 17.3 average with Gina on the tandem. Jose started with us but flatted. He told us to go ahead and he'd meet up with us after the repair. So we got to do nearly half the ride alone cause he ain't tat good at fixing flats ha ha! :D So turned out to be a pretty nice ride! :56bb29f6b08a1_thumbsup:

021416A_zps2qolutsh.jpg

Some random clips on the trail I have so listen to some "Magic Man". Guy Jose R. is from River Velo. In the orange stripes. He was on the Breathless Agony ride when I did it. Then Frank. Looks a little slow in the video but these guys are pulling into some monstrous headwinds.  Then a couple of guys I've run into and know out there.

60 miles at 16.4 average today. I have no idea what got into Gina today but she made it look easy. We were passing guys who were trying to stay on our wheel and she was just smiling away. Even acting a bit silly at the rest stops! One we got back to the truck we only had 59 miles so I asked if she wanted to roll on just to make it 60. Sure why not! Heck, she even passed and dropped some dude on short climb ha ha!

022016E_zpslbezgv9d.jpg

022016A_zpsbmxz7ipo.jpg

022016F_zpssv1wyg3m.jpg

022016N_zps1evjgqaw.jpg

Taking advantage of a day off. 41 miles 5,033 ft gain. Woke up got lazy then thought about doing a short version of the ride. But at the start a friend Ron rode by and decided to ride with me. SO we ended up doing the entire climb of 21 miles. He went down the fast way but I went back across wanting a little more climbing to get in 5,000. At the bottom of the mountain I had 4950 feet so I had to turn around and go back up a little bit to get the extra gain ha ha!

DSCN2138_zpscutb06rs.jpg

These Big Man jerseys are not for me. Fit good in the upper body but the lower section is more like a maternity top ha ha! :D

DSCN2143_zpsda6kfuve.jpg

DSCN2146_zpswrfcbonf.jpg

0GMRRon1_zpsg1crs6iv.jpg

0GMRRon2_zpsorwhqcfi.jpg

OK WHO IS IT???? Last couple of rides some dude has gone by in the opposite direction. He shouted "BEANZ!!!". Lat week I thought it might have been Ray from GMR but Gina says no. Today a dude shouted again, Gina says it was the same dude as last week. Seems today he might have been riding with his wife or just around some lady. But Gina says same dude. OK fess up! :-P

50 miles on the trail with Gina and Aimee today. 16.8 average. Gina did really well again this week. Stupid flat trail only gave me like 800 ft over the 50 miles. I was short 100 ft of 8,000 ft gain this week. :angry:

Gina & Aimee with a tandem and a couple other guys who hopped on our wheels. They were happy to sit back there for like 12 mile enjoying the draft.

DSCN2177_zpspouhvgv2.jpg

UH oh! The dude at the back got dropped. Gina had no mercy on anybody today!:lol:

DSCN2182_zpsu6gebhau.jpg

Gina all smiles on the ride again today!

DSCN2191_zpsrtpwtmoc.jpg

Today my goal was to make it up to the high point without stopping. Mission accomplished! I looked at my time as I arrive and it said 2:13. Not bad! It did seem a little hotter today on the lower slopes. But once I was on GRR it was very nice, never cold but not hot. So I hit the high point and took a 11 minute break to mix some G and and down a Clif Bar.

So my stats were good!  5,026 ft gain, 38.7 miles, 11 minutes of break time and 18 PR's on Strava, all climbing PR's! :-)

Not many riders at all today! I saw 3 coming down as I was approaching the shack, that was it! I didn't see one rider on GRR.

Once I got down to the bottom I still needed about 500 ft to hit 5,000 gain for the day. So I headed back up. Bummer! When I got down to the bottom I reached down to drink what was left of my Gatorade but my bottle was gone! Darn it! I rode about a mile back up to reach my goal but no bottle. I thought about leaving it and counting it a loss but that is my go to bottle ha ha! So after I packed up the bike I drove up and found it at the 4 mile ridge. Good thing it rolled off the the side. I was worried I'd find it flat as a pancake but I lucked out ha ha!

20160302_125043_zpsvwsf6hnh.jpg

At the high point about 4200 ft of climbing at this point. Break time!

20160302_125148_zpswknqgcvy.jpg

0highplusmore_zps5yibvqws.jpg

60.8 miles 16.2 average. Well I wanted to do GMR again today to get another 5,000 ft of climbing. But there is an 85% chance of rain tomorrow and I hate cleaning filthy bikes so we rode the tandem today instead. This way Gina could get in a few miles. If we did GMR, she had planned not to ride as it would be ride with the boys and she wouldn't keep up as we had planned to do a good effort. Oh what the heck, I like Gina more than the guys anyway ha ha! We ran into a couple of guys who sucked wheel. One for 30 miles but he said he was tired and couldn't give us any help. Umm OK!

20% chance of rain today. Cool! Slapped the windbreakers on the rack just in case. A few drops here and there but nothing to get wet about!

DSCN2204_zpstpy8h5y9.jpg

Ha ha! Gina rubbed my lower back and asked if it was hurting. Nope, but if you really want to rub me where it hurts..... Ha ha she didn't go for it!

DSCN2215_zpsnsgbfrhd.jpg

DSCN2214_zpslmttuodb.jpg

DSCN2224_zpshuqp55hd.jpg

Some very brave or very hungry birds.

DSCN2217_zpsn370okaf.jpg

13 miles 2,024 ft of gain in the dirt. Wednesday Evening ride on the MTB. 2 loops at Claremont Hills Wilderness Park.

Experimenting with the set up of my MTB. Fork feels nice at 120 psi compared to the 180 rec'd by the MRG'r. Front tire feels nice at 35 psi but the rear felt squirmy at 40 psi. Think I will try 50 next time. :scratch head:

Same profile

0CHWP_zpsaf1mmmaj.jpg

Today again I did the MTB ride. Again same profile. OI rarely do an MTB climb like this 2 days in a row. Now I remember why ha ha! My legs did not want to play along but I made it! 

Few ride clips from the MTB rides. My max speed is 25 MPH on the downhills. Sure looks slow in the video, looks more like 5 MPH ha ha! But I ride MTB for the climbing exercise so you can have the DH! :lol:

44 miles at 17.3 average today. I wanted to ride up to Mt Baldy today but Gina had tire issues. I repaired but didn't feel comfortable having Gina ride mountain roads with a new tire. You never know how it's going to work until you have a chance to test it. So we rode the trail instead. Bummer but better safe than sorry! Gina did really really good again. A friend said he could tell she was riding strong! 

031216A.JPG

031216F.JPG

Another 44 miles with Gina and Mike today (16.3 average). Gina started out a little slow but did fine once she warmed into the ride. It was a bit windier today and the headwind was stiff. Did get a good pull out of Mike nearing the coast. That helped! 

Heading to the coast.

031316A.JPG.e34a369c4073d1bd06af8451f96f

Every time we pass someone they hop on the back ha ha!

031316B.JPG.f67df08dda21eb76abd75af77209

OK, sitting tall to give Gna a good draft!

031316C.JPG.8d2dc6f393323f282c1826ea013e

Other riders wonder why we don't get hassled ridding through the gangland section of the trail. Well cause they think we are a gang! We make gang signs as we ride through so they don't bother us! :lol:

031316E.JPG.d41fdd63c9636c2abe65da2db30e

Video from the weekend rides. Lots of mingling with the riders. Plus a friend on a tandem sent me video to use as well. He did part of the ride with us on Saturday so I got some footage of us as well. Near the end of the ride footage he told me when he was going to push hard on a Strava section. I stayed by his side then kicked at the end so I got a Strava PR out of it. Short segment. 3/10 of a mild 55 seconds, 26 average 29.3 max. Heck I know I can do better! :D

Like I said, when I get a free day off, I ride he he he! Today I figured I'd go up GMR/GRR. I rode to the high point then turned around. Back along the 4 mile point I realized I wasn't going to reach my 5,000 ft gain goal so I turned around and headed back up a bit. Then down. Again at the bottom I was 300 ft short darnit! So I turned around again and headed back up for a mile or so. That sucks since I'm out of water at this point. So I was out of water when I hit the shack on the return. But sometimes a man has got to do what a man has got to do ha ha!

The MTB riding must be helping cause I was up GMR before I even realized I was getting tired ha ha! A couple points on GRR I was getting ready for the struggle then realized I was beyond the point I was dreading. OK I will take it! OK so the last 1/4 mile was a pain in the butt but hey, I think my legs were somewhat fried from the 2,000 ft MTB ride I did 2 evenings ago.

I was feeling pretty good thinking I'd have a good ride to the shack at least. But there was some road maintenance just before Newman's Point so I was forced to stop. Lost about 3 minutes or so there. Oh well got in a good breather!  But otherwise a really nice day to ride!

Man it is hard to get a good selfie on a 7% grade after 15 miles of climbing! :lol:

DSCN2233_zps67nro4ny.jpg

On the return. You can see the road above my helmet then beyond that continuing up the climb.

DSCN2245_zpsk1gktvdi.jpg

road shots

DSCN2230_zpsm5fp6f8a.jpg

DSCN2237_zpsr96pb4d0.jpg

The profile!

0GMRprofile_zpsecgvtprl.jpg