Car wash

Airehead

I went to Delta Sonic and got the Super Kiss wash.  It was 16.95.  Then it rained.  Now I have to go back for the free re-wash.  Mr. Aire usually washes mine for me but he is ill and I won't let him go out and play in the water.  I had no idea it was so expensive to drive through the wash place.  I now understand why we have a hot water hook up in the garage.

9 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

I drive it thru the car wash. If it snows, I typically wash it weekly to remove the salt.

This. They put so much salt on the roads here, that left unwashed your car basically rusts away while you wash. I hang on to cars till they'er shot, but haven't wore one out in years. Rust never sleeps   :( 

• Heart 2

11 minutes ago, Further said:

This. They put so much salt on the roads here, that left unwashed your car basically rusts away while you wash. I hang on to cars till they'er shot, but haven't wore one out in years. Rust never sleeps   :( 

Its rediculous how much of that they use. Even though Detroit is sitting on a salt mine ;)

In the winter I run it thru the car wash once a month or if body looks like the rim of a margarita glass.  In summer I wash it myself.  A local chain opened a new location near me and sent coupons for two free washes.  They're worth $20.95 each.  :o

The truck still looks good two weeks later.  I'll use the second coupon right before it expires in Feb.

I wash them by hand. then park them as far out as possible when we got out so nobody puts their dirty grimy hands on it! :D

I've tried several car wash places with the 100% hand wash and all but U hate paying then tipping only to drive out with water dripping all over the freaking car.  :flames: They never dry it right, rims, roof rack, grill so I just do it myself! :2:

0carwash1.jpg

0carwash2.jpg

• Heart 1

I generally just don't, unless I have to meet people with a clean car for some reason.  Living in NYC will train you to just not worry about it at all, because it will look horrible no matter what.  My car is a wreck right now, but I will wait until the world dries out before I bother washing it, as will the rest of Colorado.

3 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I wash them by hand. then park them as far out as possible when we got out so nobody puts their dirty grimy hands on it! :D

0carwash2.jpg

Beanz

Do you take a shuttle on in to the mall??? I think I saw a better spot a quarter mile further out

:D

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Beanz

Do you take a shuttle on in to the mall??? I think I saw a better spot a quarter mile further out

My son always referred to those spaces out on the outer limits of the parking lot as "Travis spaces".  His friend Travis was known for taking the first space he came to when he entered a shopping center parking lot.  It wasn't that he was trying to protect his car, he drove a old beat up Honda.  He said he was young and healthy and could easily walk, leave the close spaces for people who need them close.

• Heart 3

Just now, Scrapr said:

Beanz

Gina used to get mad at me for parking so far out. But one day somebody dinged the CX7 she had before this CX9 and now has no problem with my parking situation. :D I do offer to drop her off at the door before I park. I tell her it's just exercise.:panic-smiley: She learned to live with it.

1 minute ago, smudge said:

Good Lord!!!! Give that thing a bath!!!! Dang!

The only way it would stay clean is if I washed it at home and left it there.  I live on a dirt road, my granddaughters call it "the dirty road". I was glad I had all wheel drive last week when the road started to thaw out and was all ruts and puddles.

Wait.....people wash their vehicles???? All I have to do is drop mine off at the car dealer a block or so from work - free weekly wash was part of the deal - and I can't be arsed.

I just got new tires for the Wonder Truck and the guy asked me if I wanted the white letters facing in or out. I said "Uhhhhhhh, I dunno..." He said "Do you want to clean them?" "Hell, no. I don't even wash the truck!" 'I'll put them facing in......"

1 hour ago, Scrapr said:

I park at the outer edges too.

I park wherever the hell I want.  If there is a sign that says 10-minute parking and I am going to be there a while, I don't care, I am parking there.  "Expectant mother parking"?  Screw them, I didn't tell them to throw their legs in the air and slut around like a groupie until they got knocked up, I get there first and it is my spot.   "Hybrid vehicle parking"?  Ha ha, fuck you.  Compact car?  Another FU.   Any group you belong to or prioritize over others, I simply don't care for your thinking, and will park where there is an open space.   I leave the handicap spots alone, though, there is an actual reason for those.

7 minutes ago, bikeman564™ said:

that sounds bad

Not so bad. DH gets a bit more sneau than up here in Puddletown. Generally our snowv events are 1-3 days. With the first commute during the event a cluster. Then everyone just stays home. Bigger problem is a week later as sweepers collect all the gravel to re use it. 

• Haha 1

I'll park farther out, and I try to find a spot with a curb such as a landscaping island.  It just makes one less side some inconsiderate slob can inflict damage on my car that I have to pay to fix.

I never park near a cart corral, or if the parking lot has a slope to it I never park on a downhill side - especially downhill of the cart corral.  I've seen shopping carts get a head of steam rolling downhill and wham! into a parked car.

• 6 years later...
24 minutes ago, Longjohn said:
On 1/31/2016 at 11:03 AM, tybeegb said:

I use the touchless wash at one of the gas stations I use.  Once a month for the super-wash.  I get .15 off per gallon of gas so I save a little bit.  Keeps the undercarriage clean and top side nice an shiny. 

We miss you around here. What’s up?

Dredged up old post. 

54 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I got salt on my car from the recent snowstorm.  Too much hassle to wash it right now.  So I plan to park it outside in the rain which is predicted for all day on Friday.  :)

Me too!  It is my day to drive so hopefully it rains enough to rinse the salt off the roads instead of into my cars innards!  

• Heart 1

53 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I get several no touch washes with undercarriage cleaning a winter. 

I did that twice this winter.   But that isn't as clean as doing by hand. 

Yesterday I took all 3 of our cars to the spray wash, and using that plus a sponge I washed the cars.    And then I dried them with a chamois.    It was 32F.   So my hands were rather cold after one car.   I'd drive home and swap cars, but the time I got back my hands were thawed.  Repeated that 3 times.  Yeah I was glad when I was done. 

A new automatic car wash opened here the other day. I ran the van through, it looked like one of those salt incased baked fish going in. 

I sprang for the top of the line 18 dollar wash, and I must say the machine did a hell of a job, van was shiny from wheels to roof rack.

It is probably the must expensive auto wash around here, but it had more sprayers and scrubbers and blowers than any other wash I've been through, and the car looked damn good.

• Heart 1

My neighbor accuses me of washing it so often that I will wash the paint off if not careful.

I wash it, then take it for a high speed run to blow the water off (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it) then pull into a shopping center and a quick wipe down with a chamois to get the few remaining droplets of water before they dry and spot.

• Heart 1

I need to see what the car washes are like here. Back in Nebraska, several of the car washes offered an unlimited monthly rate. If you washed the car twice, you came out ahead. The only car that didn’t go there was the Miata because the top leaks! That I wash by hand so I can control the spray until we get a new top!