Understanding Engineers.

Digital_photog

1 hour ago, Digital_photog said:

Understanding Engineers #1
Two engineering students...

One engineer shook his head and laughed, "A lot of good that does us. We ask for the height and she gives us the length!"

I resemble this.

And by 'this' I should specify in particular that the reference means paragraphs #1 through #8, inclusive, plus the entire appended ninth paragraph (titled "And Finally") which in reality should be titled "Understanding Engineers #9" to be consistent with paragraphs #1 through #8 (inclusive) as that particular numbering scheme had already been established. 

Which, then, brings us to the paragraph titles (excepting the ninth paragraph) of "Understanding Engineers".  This by itself is a producer of mirth, as 98.271% of all people surveyed by the American Society of Professional Engineers stated this was an impossibility.  The balance thought it foolish even to place the two words adjacent to each other.

Which, then, brings us to the merits of the survey, based upon its sample size and formatting of the questions posed to the participants....

12 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Those musta been RPI engineers trying to figure out the height of the flag pole, cuz a CU engineer would paced off 20' from the flag pole, opened up his Level app, measured the angle to the top of the pole, and used SOH CAH TOA to quickly calculate the height.

Am I the only one who got the Clarkson University reference?  I was thinking Colorado University, but then I figured how smart could Colorado engineers be. Also I saw who posted it and figured it had to be Clarkson.

Good jokes DP.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Am I the only one who got the Clarkson University reference?  I was thinking Colorado University, but then I figured how smart could Colorado engineers be. Also I saw who posted it and figured it had to be Clarkson.

Good jokes DP.

It was actually CCT when I was there.

#7 isn't correct, that would be a marketing person who would think it needs more features if it's not broken.  Good Engineers hate when their designs break, I've lost count long ago of the amount of meetings I've been in where management is complaining about us running up cost trying to make it perfect because marketing added a bunch of freaking features that aren't needed.  :(

3 minutes ago, Indy said:

#7 isn't correct, that would be a marketing person who would think it needs more features if it's not broken.  Good Engineers hate when their designs break, I've lost count long ago of the amount of meetings I've been in where management is complaining about us running up cost trying to make it perfect because marketing added a bunch of freaking features that aren't needed.  :(

Quadruple redundancy is just overkill, IMHO.

Just now, 2Far said:

Quadruple redundancy is just overkill, IMHO.

No such thing as overkill, everyone wants products that out live their great grandkids, even if they technology is only really good for a couple years.

55 minutes ago, 2Far said:

Those musta been RPI engineers trying to figure out the height of the flag pole, cuz a CU engineer would paced off 20' from the flag pole, opened up his Level app, measured the angle to the top of the pole, and used SOH CAH TOA to quickly calculate the height.

I contend that if RPI engineers were involved, so were hockey sticks.

4 hours ago, 2Far said:

A Union engineer would have:

1 - measured the length of the flagpole's shadow

2 - measured the height of a nearby fence post or bollard

3 - measured the length of the shadow created by that post or bollard

4 - and then used the ratio of the shadow measurements and the height of the post or bollard to calculate the height of the pole.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

4 - and then used the ratio of the shadow measurements and the height of the post or bollard to calculate the height of the pole.

That's because he's too cheap to have a smart phone.

3 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

You forgot to include the change of sun angle from the time it took to do this..... or are union engineers just that inaccurate?

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

You forgot to include the change of sun angle from the time it took to do this..... or are union engineers just that inaccurate?

Those were, of course, the abridged instructions.  Driving down to the details of the full instruction set, one would first mark the end point of one shadow with a chalk or with a small wire stabbed in the ground and then immediately mark the end point of the other shadow, thus virtually removing inaccuracies incurred by movement of the shadows.  Once marked the sun can move all it wants and the Union engineer can take the measurements at his leisure.

The full instructions also include a polite request of the young lady to borrow her tape measure to perform the task, a polite thank you upon its return to her, and of course getting her phone number as well. ;)

10 minutes ago, 2Far said:

That's because he's too cheap to have a smart phone.

The Union engineer knows this method works at locations where security regulations prohibit the use of smart phones on site, and so comes prepared with techniques to get the results while the graduates of other schools stand around the base of the flagpole, looking at its top.

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

The Union engineer knows this method works at locations where security regulations prohibit the use of smart phones on site, and so comes prepared with techniques to get the results while the graduates of other schools stand around the base of the flagpole, looking at its top.

Well, when the Union engineer gets out of prison, he can get a smart phone.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

small wire stabbed in the ground and then immediately mark the end point of the other shadow, thus virtually removing inaccuracies incurred by movement of the shadows

Union engineers don't move that fast.  It would require at least 3 union engineers.  2 to place the wires and the third to make sure they did it at the same time.

• Heart 1