Tire Mileage ??

Mr. Beanz

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

No clue.   I don't really document things and I rip big holes in them before they wear out. 

I never really tracked equipment. But it seemed I was getting very few miles out of a rear tire so I tracked the last three or so. The tandem had a terrible rate years ago. But now it has gotten much better mileage too. Maybe Continental has done something good cause our mileage has improved. :56bb29f6b08a1_thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Well darn! We got 1100 out of the tandem and 6 months time wise.

Conti Gatorskins. Going to try the Gatorskin hardshell just for kicks. Heard they don't roll a well but you know how wussy some riders can be so I got to see for myself!

But also ordered 2 more Gatorskins as well so I can compare wear data.  4avdge.gif

• 1 month later...

I had Conti Gatorskins for years (700x23). I switched to Michelin Pro4 Endurance last Oct.  I replaced the rear tire about a month ago.  I am guessing between 2000-3000 miles on it.  I may try the Conti GP4000.  In my club most riders use either Michelin or Conti 4000's.

• 5 weeks later...

I've been riding Serfas for about 5 or 6 years now.

when I was riding 5K or so miles a year,  I would buy a new rear at the start of the season and move the rear tire to the front, so at the end of the year my front tire had 2 seasons or 8 to 10 thousand miles on it

I ride the rear tire until the black rubber between the colored bands is worn from having a crown to being flat

I think I'm getting 3 to 4k out of them. They can take up to 130 psi, but I only inflate tires to 100psi, but the tire case is very strong and durable.

Serfas Tires

• Heart 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 05/20/2016 at 11:33 AM, Nate said:

I've been riding Serfas for about 5 or 6 years now.

when I was riding 5K or so miles a year,  I would buy a new rear at the start of the season and move the rear tire to the front, so at the end of the year my front tire had 2 seasons or 8 to 10 thousand miles on it

I ride the rear tire until the black rubber between the colored bands is worn from having a crown to being flat

I think I'm getting 3 to 4k out of them. They can take up to 130 psi, but I only inflate tires to 100psi, but the tire case is very strong and durable.

Serfas Tires

I have Serfas and they seem a little soft to me.  Gatorskins seemed to be the vest for avoiding flats from those fricken wire fragments that steel belted radials shed with abandon.

Your bike, where and how you ride, your weight, and all sorts of factors, including the quality of the tire itself, are going to have small to rather large variances in tire life.  Just keeping them properly inflated can do wonders.  It only takes a few seconds before you leave the house, and can actually add serious miles to your tires.

A younger man, or lady, in full aero, bike and kit, doing 2 centuries a week, and zooming along at 40mph, is likely to have to change tires more often, than a person like myself, a bit older and who has pretty much given a strict training schedule the heave, for a "I'm going to ride like I feel today" schedule, as with maintenance also.  I can pretty safely bet that I can get through an entire summer, fall, and occasional nice day in the winter, and change tires just in time for spring.  Remember, and I don't hear too much about this, but your tire is wearing on the inside and through the middle also.  So what looks great, may be pretty iffy.  I'm assuming a regular rider, not the occasional ride through the bike path.

All that said, unless all other things being equal, it's hard to compare a rider who gets 4K out of a tire, and one who gets 2K out of them.

P.

• Heart 1

• 11 months later...

Today I just changed a tire that had a crapton of miles on it and I changed a tube in a tire that had maybe 20 miles on it. The tire with the miles on it was the original tire on my road bike. The bike has been on the trainer for the past four years. I planned on riding it on the trainer until it blew but it's a tough tire and just wouldn't quit. The other tire was on the front wheel of my sister in law's bike. The wheel has a motor in it and I never did like the way the tires fit the rim. I went to her house to get her bike to check it over and the tires were both flat. I pumped them up and brought it home. The weather has sucked so I didn't get around to looking at it until now. The front tire was flat again and this time it wouldn't hold air at all. Pulled the tube and it had a six inch long split in it. How the heck did that happen? I need to remember to buy some tubes with a Shrader valve, I think I just used the last one I had. I have a crapton of tubes with presta valves.

I hear other people's tire stories and it makes me convinced to stick with the Bontrager racelite hard case tires I have been using. I wish I kept accurate mileage records but they last many thousands of miles and I have never had a flat. The tire I finished the Adventure on the tire had worn so thin the rubber was hanging off in strips but it didn't go flat.