An update on my foot

Forum Administrator

I'm lazy, so this is going to end up being cross posted...

I went to the doctor today. My foot is coming together nicely. Things are happening a little faster than originally thought.  

I finally got put in a hard cast today. (It's blue...  I may decorate it in University of Toledo colors.) it is about one-Brazilian times better than the splint I was in after surgery. 

Right now, I am looking at two weeks in this cast, then back to the boot. I'll still be non-weight bearing for four weeks, but I will be able to start some rehab when I am in the boot.mi am cleared for work, but I have to figure out transportation.  

no promises were made, but she told me that if I keep doing what she tells me and I work at rehab, I might be able to bike/run again in February.  If I bust my ass, it could be early January. 

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. 

Wow, sounds tough.  I've never broken / torn / sprained anything so I can't relate.

Really? I figured it out earlier...  In the last 20 years, the longest I have gone without a break/tear/sprain has been 18 months. The only one worse than this was when I was hit by a car. But that was because of multiple minor injuries...  I was back to work in a week after that.

Wow, sounds tough.  I've never broken / torn / sprained anything so I can't relate.

Wow... You are about the opposite of me. I've broken most of my ribs, 6 of my fingers (not all at once) my left radius (arm), left tibia (leg), clavicle (separated and dislocated the shoulder at the same time), both feet, right hand, dislocated right thumb and tore just about every ligament and tendon requiring surgery, and I fractured my spine (lumbar). I've torn, pulled, sprained just about everything possible. Been stabbed twice, shot once, nearly cut off a finger twice, been stitched up more times than I would like.

Hope the recovery continues to go well! 

Wow... You are about the opposite of me. I've broken most of my ribs, 6 of my fingers (not all at once) my left radius (arm), left tibia (leg), clavicle (separated and dislocated the shoulder at the same time), both feet, right hand, dislocated right thumb and tore just about every ligament and tendon requiring surgery, and I fractured my spine (lumbar). I've torn, pulled, sprained just about everything possible. Been stabbed twice, shot once, nearly cut off a finger twice, been stitched up more times than I would like.

Hope the recovery continues to go well! 

You sound more like an action hero than a mere mortal.  Maybe you should find a better neighborhood?

When I busted my right foot I decided to disregard doctor’s orders drove with my left foot.  There were a couple terrifying moments but after a week or so, I was driving as well as a drunk 16 year old.

How on Earth did you do that? I sat in the driver's seat yesterday and did not have enough room to move my left foot over to the accelerator.

You sound more like an action hero than a mere mortal.  Maybe you should find a better neighborhood?

It's not the neighborhood. My parents always focused on academics. I was not allowed to play any sports other than baseball (little league only). When I hit my teens I rebelled against being a nerd and got into skiing and cycling. Since then no matter what I did, I always felt that I needed to prove myself physically so I go at things... hard... always. There is no halfway with me, I am all in 100% of the time. As a result I've got injured a lot. The Army was more of the same plus it's a high risk job with lots of high risk activities.

How on Earth did you do that? I sat in the driver's seat yesterday and did not have enough room to move my left foot over to the accelerator.

My cast went half way up my shin.  I was able to cross my right leg under my left.  I was driving a Neon and the seats were pretty low. 

Like I said... I had some terrifying moments.  A couple times I thought I turned my left foot to move it to the break and hit the accelerator instead.  The opposite happened a couple times too, I'd move my foot to the accelerator and miss then hit the break.  I stayed off the express way.