Some advice from computer people please.

SuzieQ

I have to buy a usb hub for the macbook pro at the studio.  Had to get a cc swiper and receipt printer for the software program that we use.  I also have a product scanner.... so one usb hub short.  What should I be looking for, and does it need to have power or not??  This is all too confusing for my brain right now :huh:

Generally speaking it doesn't matter if the usb hub has power, but some devices are a little finicky and work better with powered USB hubs (ones that have their own power cord to plug in). I'd suggest getting a powered one to be a little safer.

That being said....I've found nearly USB hubs I've ever used to be a bit flaky at times. I don't think you'll get around that. It's probably more dependent on whether the devices are flaky than the USB hub. Get a powered one.

• Heart 1

I suggest getting one that is powered. Some USB devices, like small external hard drives, need pretty much juice to run if they don't have their own power cord. Does the CC scanner plug into the wall or depend on the USB port.

Plus a powered port can be used to charge up things like some bicycle headlights, cell phones, and other devices charged through a USB cord.

I suggest getting one that is powered. Some USB devices, like small external hard drives, need pretty much juice to run if they don't have their own power cord. Does the CC scanner plug into the wall or depend on the USB port.

Plus a powered port can be used to charge up things like some bicycle headlights, cell phones, and other devices charged through a USB cord.

the cc swiper only uses the usb port and the receipt printer is a thermal one and also uses power