I loved Jimmy Stewart

AirwickWithCheese

I always admired Stewart for his military service during WWII, which was exemplary and compared to other Hollywood types, was downright amazing.  He was the first major Hollywood star to join the military (March 1941, 9 months before Pearl Harbor) and he sought to be in actual combat and not be just a behind-the-lines entertainer in a uniform as most other movie stars were treated.

His military story in brief, if you are interested.   http://www.danielsww2.com/JimmyStewart.html

From the link:

"Stewart’s war record included 20 combat missions as command pilot over enemy territory, including raids deep into Germany to Berlin.  He didn't fly the milk runs, and his missions included bombing raids to Berlin, Brunswick, Bremen, Frankfurt, and Schweinfurt.  His most memorable mission, Stewart served as the flight leader of a 1000 plane raid to Berlin.  He was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross with two Oak Leaf Clusters, the Air Medal with three Oak Leaf Clusters, and the French Croix de Guerre with Palm."

• Heart 1

• 4 years later...
2 hours ago, Randomguy said:

There is a famous quote that I always get mostly wrong, but it goes something like this:

"If I was 10% as great as my dog thought that I was, I would be the greatest person that ever lived".   Jimmy Stewart is the guy my dog thought I was.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

eebf91cd730803917ca2e3b1882ce897.thumb.jpg.22040afabebeef290c157f4268897564.jpg

Here's my Whitman Sampler story. When I was in first or second grade, my mother and I were in a drugstore.  When she was checking out at the cash register, I looked at all the tempting stuff they always have surrounding the checkout lane.  I looked at one small box that said "Whitman Sampler."  It was 1/3 to 1/4 the size of the big box Jimmy Stewart's holding.  I knew what samples were, so I thought that meant I could just take it.  I did and no one noticed.

We rode a bus back home and I opened the box and there were, perhaps, a dozen small chocolates inside. My mother noticed I was chewing something, looked down and asked,"Where did you get that?"

I replied, "It's a sample. It was right next to the checkout counter."

She got upset and set me straight.  Then she ate a chocolate!

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1