Freakin' Car Maintenance

Mr. Beanz

So what is this? Women wait till your sick then tell you they need car service. Barely able to get out of bed this morning I crawl over to Gina to ask how she is doing. She's still alive so I crawl back to my side of the bed and barley make it up. We need clothes washed so I decide I better crawl over to the laundry room and get started cause I need work clothes for Monday. So I get the laundry started then crawl back into bed. Just then Gina says, I need my headlight replaced. Oh Man! Can't you wait till I am able to get out of bed without crawling? So her I go looking for answers on the net how to replace the bulb. They make everything so tricky now. Need to remove the fender well cover and some bolts. Then rubber covers, clips and all kinds of stuff jut to get to the bulb. Can't just do one or I know what will happen a few days later. Bulbs are $15 each so I did it for $30. Gina wanted to take it in to the shop, yeah, another $70 for labor, that would be $100! :o  .....Tricky job and not much room to see what you're doing so a lot of it is feeling things hoping you pull the right part. I don't mind fixing things but can't you pick times when I'm not sick? Last time she had me out there sick pumping up her tire with a bicycle pump so we could get it to the tire shop. This time, saved about $70 on labor and being sick, I figure she owes me BIG this time! :whistle:  I mean really, I was so sick the auto parts guy couldn't make out what I was mumbling at the parts store and he had to help me back to the car but I did it for her! :wub: 

• Heart 1

What you should do is buy the new light, place the light on her front seat of the vehicle until you feel better to replace it. If she happens to be pulled over by the cops, the new bulb will be there and she can tell them she just got it to replace.  The cops will leave her alone until you feel better! 

• Heart 1

Tricky job and not much room to see what you're doing so a lot of it is feeling things hoping you pull the right part.

I would suggest doing as nature guides you, but if you're still baffled then you can read up on what to do as there are many, many books, magazines, and internet sites devoted entirely to this topic.

I would suggest doing as nature guides you, but if you're still baffled then you can read up on what to do as there are many, many books, magazines, and internet sites devoted entirely to this topic.

I got it done. Just a bit tricky. The bulb fixture is locked into position with a spring wire. you can't see which end unlocks because of tight quarters. I did view some internet stuff first, as noted. It's dark and tight, not much room for a flashlight either. And that was after taking off the fender well panel. 

Old days, just go from the top and pull the plug.  B) Sam when I did the radiator on her previous car, remove panels, bumpers blah blah blah, so complicated now. Thank goodness or the net! 

When I fixed my truck a couple months back, it took me about an hour to locate the switch and 5 minutes to do the job. I did not find a video that stated the exact model and year of my truck so I made one because the location is different on similar engines.

Also other vids did not mention the "shim" factor. I got over 900 views, much more than bike videos ha ha!

• Heart 1

Are you sure you weren't hallucinating?  Flashbacks?  :whistle:  :P

Just kidding.  I think they build cars now-a-days trying to defeat the DIYers of the world.  Even the dealership mechanics only get a certain number of hours to do warranty maintenance on cars.  If they go over then it's on their dime.  Regular maintenance can be any number of hours, which the customer pays out of the nose for. 

Hope you feel better and it's not the flu.     

• Heart 1

Did you put in something like Sylvania SilverStar Ultra bulbs? Much better lighting; however, more costly and the bulbs last about half as long as normal bulbs.

Now quite crawling around and start feeling better! That's an order!!!

I can't think of the name now but the halogens were $13 each. They asked about another bulb, DI's (?) but they were $100 each! :o

Are you sure you weren't hallucinating?  Flashbacks?  :whistle:  :P

Just kidding.  I think they build cars now-a-days trying to defeat the DIYers of the world.  Even the dealership mechanics only get a certain number of hours to do warranty maintenance on cars.  If they go over then it's on their dime.  Regular maintenance can be any number of hours, which the customer pays out of the nose for. 

Hope you feel better and it's not the flu.     

Yeah, little things are made complicated for that reason, and special tools. First side took me 30 minutes to figure out. Second side took about 10 to finish the job. If I took it to the dealer, they would charge me 2 hours labor and probably do the job in 15. :blush: