Another pedal question (cleats)

TrentonMakes

Question

So now I've got the Shimano road cleats sticking to the bottoms of my shoes.  I know there are cleat covers out there to protect them from wear in the event I end up walking a lot in them.  Does anyone use them?

It looks like the cleat covers are about $15 and replacement cleats are less than $20 - though I guess every time you replace cleats they need to be re-adjusted and dialed in.

SW, in my other thread you said you had close to 10K miles on your pedals.  How many sets of cleats have you gone through?

23 answers to this question

55 minutes ago, TrentonStrong said:

SW, in my other thread you said you had close to 10K miles on your pedals.  How many sets of cleats have you gone through?

Probably 3 or 4 sets of cleats.  I can't be bothered to carry covers and put them on each time I stop (I stop a lot), so I just replace the cleats.  I put lots of painters tape on my shoe outlining where the old cleat is and just swap them out.  The bike shop set my position years ago and I've never had a problem and never changed it.

I hear that it's a different story with Speedplay cleats.  I think those wear out a lot easier and you can either get a cover that stays on or you should consider getting covers for them.

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Probably 3 or 4 sets of cleats.  I can't be bothered to carry covers and put them on each time I stop (I stop a lot), so I just replace the cleats.  I put lots of painters tape on my shoe outlining where the old cleat is and just swap them out.  The bike shop set my position years ago and I've never had a problem and never changed it.

OK.  Yeah, the covers don't seem to be worth it and I expect I might end up losing one (or both) anyway.  The painters tape is a good idea.  Thanks.

• Heart 1

I tried that path (cleat covers), and it just is not worth the time and effort.  I wear my cleats out on pavement, not walking around, so I never got any appreciable amount of extended wear from them. 

I use both types of Shimano cleats, SPD (SH-51) and SPD and SPD SL, depending on what bike I'm riding.  Generally the cleat covers are worthless, EXCEPT, if you're going to be stopping by someone's store, especially one with nice wood floors, either carry some cleat covers or throw some flip flops in the back of your jersey.  I'm sure you wouldn't wear them on your own brand new hardwood flooring, and a shop owner probably doesn't appreciate it either.  Many shoes that use regular SPD cleats, have recessed channels for the cleats.  These used to be most common on MTB shoes, but are becoming more common on road shoes, also.  These still don't mean you're 100% protected, but that nice antique shop owner that you had to stop at, might really appreciate your thoughts and kindness, concerning their nice shiny marble or tile floors.  Other than that, most wear comes from regular use, not covering your cleats while walking.  And if you can, just wear tennis shoes, if just running down to the local 24/7 store to get a coke or whatever.

Last, the price of cleat covers, in some stores, rival the cost of cleats themselves.  I think of it this way, if you've truly gotten to the stage in your riding skills, that you're ready for the benefits of cleats, then they are expendable, like chain lube, or other maintenance items, and you just need to factor them into the cost of your sport.

On 3/17/2016 at 2:17 PM, TrentonStrong said:

the covers don't seem to be worth it and I expect I might end up losing one (or both) anyway.

Cleat covers are great, and everybody else is wrong and I will tell you why.  

First, the popping into the store issue.  No business wants to see uncovered cleats possibly damaging their flooring.  The next part is also tied in (a little) to that.  If you clomp into a store and there is water or another slippery liquid on the flooring and you have cleats with no traction, you could slip and fall.  I don't think most stores want to be involved in that kind of liability.  If you aren't in a store, say you have to go down some stairs or it has rained or there is a little ice and you need to walk into or out of your house or apartment, you are pretty much a dumbass if you slip and fall when a very small investment in time and money could have possibly prevented an injury.  Lastly, your cleat wear will be at least half of what it was if you are walking on your cleats all the time.  Also, you are kind of a dumbass if you lose your cleat covers that fit so easily in a jersey pocket.

Btw, welcome, pavesmack!  The cafe gets way more traffic, that is where all the action is.  If TrentonStrong had asked that question there, there would probably be 40 responses instead of just a handful.

• Heart 1

These plastic cleats aren't going to damage anyone's flooring.

I did notice the lack of traction a few weeks ago, when I walked down a rocky embankment to get a photo of that covered bridge I found.  Slipped on one rock, hit my leg on another and thought I might have brushed into some poison ivy.  Would cleat covers have made that any better?  I doubt it - I just need to remember I am not wearing my old SPD's.

The fact that the cleat covers cost the same as the cleats themselves, seals the deal for now, but I'll have to see how many miles I get out of these cleats to start with.

1 hour ago, TrentonStrong said:

Would cleat covers have made that any better?

Rubber cleat covers would have made it better.  The cleat wear issue isn't the biggest issue here, it is the slip/injury issue.  I have seen of few people fall for lack of cleat covers, myself included.  Your funeral and all that, but cleat covers are cheap insurance.  Sure, you could still fall with cleat covers, but they will prevent 99% of them.

34 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Rubber cleat covers would have made it better.

For some reason I thought the cleat covers were hard plastic, which wouldn't help at all with traction.  If they are rubber then yes, that would be helpful.

99% of riders should be using SPDs, or other similar types that allow the cleat to be recessed into the shoe (if there are others), rather than those big, klunky, protruding things that most road riders use.  The .00001% performance difference is really, really not worth the hassle if you're not in the upper tiers of pro racing.

My MTB shoes are like walking around in hiking shoes, while my road shoes are like walking around on ice skates.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Actually I'm thrilled with the SPD-SLs.  The SPD shoes/pedals would predictably start giving me that "hot spot" in the ball of my foot by around mile 40.  I've been as far as 61 with these, with no sign of it.

I'm out there to ride, so if the cleats make the riding more comfortable then great.  If the little bit of walking I do is clunky, I'm OK with that.

6 minutes ago, TrentonStrong said:

Actually I'm thrilled with the SPD-SLs.  The SPD shoes/pedals would predictably start giving me that "hot spot" in the ball of my foot by around mile 40.  I've been as far as 61 with these, with no sign of it.

I'm out there to ride, so if the cleats make the riding more comfortable then great.  If the little bit of walking I do is clunky, I'm OK with that.

I think the shoes are more important than the cleats in this regard.

• Heart 1

20 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I think the shoes are more important than the cleats in this regard.

Probably - the road shoe sole is stiffer, because it's not intended for walking like the SPD/MTB shoes.  It also seems logical that the road cleat is bigger and thus helps spread the force around better than the smaller SPD cleat.

On 6/21/2016 at 11:26 AM, Randomguy said:

Cleat covers are great, and everybody else is wrong and I will tell you why......  

Btw, welcome, pavesmack!  The cafe gets way more traffic, that is where all the action is.  If TrentonStrong had asked that question there, there would probably be 40 responses instead of just a handful.

Thanks, I'll really sit down and go through all of the sub forums, and see what's up, when I get a few hours.  Also, I think your response was pretty much the same as mine.....:P

On 6/21/2016 at 2:20 PM, TrentonStrong said:

I also am a little happier with SPD-SL than I was with SPD because of the hotfoot issue.

• Heart 1

On 6/21/2016 at 1:30 PM, Reverend_Maynard said:

99% of riders should be using SPDs, or other similar types that allow the cleat to be recessed into the shoe (if there are others), rather than those big, klunky, protruding things that most road riders use.  The .00001% performance difference is really, really not worth the hassle if you're not in the upper tiers of pro racing.

My MTB shoes are like walking around in hiking shoes, while my road shoes are like walking around on ice skates.

Hmmm. I think 99% of riders would be as well served by toe clips as SPDs.  A nice stiff sole, a firm pedal platform, and a good set of toe clips.

As a 1%'er, I prefer my Speedplays (with cleat covers), but I can see how it would be useful to KISS for the "normal" folks.

Tom

I find clips and straps immensely useful. I only bought the spd type of pedal for things like rain covers. Longer rides benefit from spd pedals and shoes but a decent pair of 'old school' shoes with clips and straps would be fine. I guess that you lose maybe 10% of your stroke without cleats.

On 10/2/2017 at 3:44 PM, Razors Edge said:

Hmmm. I think 99% of riders would be as well served by toe clips as SPDs.  A nice stiff sole, a firm pedal platform, and a good set of toe clips.

As a 1%'er, I prefer my Speedplays (with cleat covers), but I can see how it would be useful to KISS for the "normal" folks.

Tom

Not MTBers.  Those old toe clips are a death trap for MTBing.

12 hours ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Not MTBers.  Those old toe clips are a death trap for MTBing.

Yeah, we 1%ers get to use SPD, Speedplays, Frogs, Look, whatever. Let the "normal" folks stick to non-technical pedals, and the "abnormal" folks who actually ride often choose the pedal system that makes most sense to them.

From a road perspective, I would say I walk about 20' per ride. So, a 1-4hr ride would result in me needing recessed cleats or cleat covers for under a minute (the walk to/from my chair in the garage to/from my bike).  I'm gonna stick with the Speedplays on my road bike, the flat pedals on my commuter, and the SPDs for the MTB.

Tom

2 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Yeah, we 1%ers get to use SPD, Speedplays, Frogs, Look, whatever. Let the "normal" folks stick to non-technical pedals, and the "abnormal" folks who actually ride often choose the pedal system that makes most sense to them.

From a road perspective, I would say I walk about 20' per ride. So, a 1-4hr ride would result in me needing recessed cleats or cleat covers for under a minute (the walk to/from my chair in the garage to/from my bike).  I'm gonna stick with the Speedplays on my road bike, the flat pedals on my commuter, and the SPDs for the MTB.

Tom

You seem offended by my comments.  I'm not sure why, but if you're looking for a fight, you're not getting it here.

1 hour ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

You seem offended by my comments.  I'm not sure why, but if you're looking for a fight, you're not getting it here.

Definitely not offended. Just putting some spin on it. I strongly feel SPD are a smart choice for MTB riding. I disagree that they are are best or most logical choice for any folks outside of MTB or cross or rides where folks are doing lots of walking/running. I'd say the "average" cyclist is someone on a sub-$500 bike, and they would be best served with a platform pedal - with or without toes clips.  Then, the less average cyclist - the enthusiast - would be best to evaluate their type of riding - road, MTB, BMX, TT, whatever - and to then choose the system(s) that work best for them.  I can think of no reason for me to ever use SPD with recessed cleats when doing the vast majority of my riding (road & commuting). Speedplays and platforms work wonderfully with those two categories. 

But if we want to agree with each other, I'm fine supporting your SPDs with recessed cleats on a good pair of shoes for mountain biking is the BEST option. If we drag it out to the rest of the world of cycling, like the OPs original question from 2016(!), I would disagree as noted in my past comments.

Tom

4 hours ago, Razors Edge said:

Definitely not offended. Just putting some spin on it. I strongly feel SPD are a smart choice for MTB riding. I disagree that they are are best or most logical choice for any folks outside of MTB or cross or rides where folks are doing lots of walking/running. I'd say the "average" cyclist is someone on a sub-$500 bike, and they would be best served with a platform pedal - with or without toes clips.  Then, the less average cyclist - the enthusiast - would be best to evaluate their type of riding - road, MTB, BMX, TT, whatever - and to then choose the system(s) that work best for them.  I can think of no reason for me to ever use SPD with recessed cleats when doing the vast majority of my riding (road & commuting). Speedplays and platforms work wonderfully with those two categories. 

But if we want to agree with each other, I'm fine supporting your SPDs with recessed cleats on a good pair of shoes for mountain biking is the BEST option. If we drag it out to the rest of the world of cycling, like the OPs original question from 2016(!), I would disagree as noted in my past comments.

Tom

I must have misread your tone.  Carry on.