Donor

Square Wheels

I am, although according to KT, I am older than dirt, so they might be useless to a young person.   :dontknow:

I admire live donors who donate kidneys.  It has always bothered me that I would be very cautious about giving one up even though you can get along fine with just one.  I have a nagging remembrance of my mother who had a kidney fail on her in her 60's.  Had she previously donated the other one, she would have been screwed.  Sounds selfish, I know, but it would worry me if I am ever confronted with that decision.   :(  

• Heart 1

I am, although according to KT, I am older than dirt, so they might be useless to a young person.   :dontknow:

I admire live donors who donate kidneys.  It has always bothered me that I would be very cautious about giving one up even though you can get along fine with just one.  I have a nagging remembrance of my mother who had a kidney fail on her in her 60's.  Had she previously donated the other one, she would have been screwed.  Sounds selfish, I know, but it would worry me if I am ever confronted with that decision.   :(  

I believe they hesitate to take a kidney from anyone over 50 figuring it might not be well enough.

One of the benefits of donating a kidney is that if a donor's remaining kidney should fail or get damaged (accidents and gunshots most common) then that donor goes to the top of the waiting list.