New fatty

Dirtyhip

I'm sure it's not, but that almost looks like a Wally World frame.  :D

Serious Q: Why do people ride fat bikes? Trend, or do they have some sort of special purpose, riding on the beach, the snow, powder dirt? What do they do that an MTB can't that makes people get one?

Thicker snow and sand is why you want one.  Although, they are fun in dirt too.  It's just much more work.  

• Heart 1

I'm sure it's not, but that almost looks like a Wally World frame.  :D

Serious Q: Why do people ride fat bikes? Trend, or do they have some sort of special purpose, riding on the beach, the snow, powder dirt? What do they do that an MTB can't that makes people get one?

I ride a fatty because it has opened up a whole new scope of riding for me. Winter time! It goes where a 29er can't go. Around my area it builds a definitive community spirit.

No, I meant "How was the bike".  We need a review.

It left me feeling surprisingly inadequate.  

Not convinced that I like the flat bars.  The response is very slow.  It can be a tad bouncy at higher pressure in the tires.  Lower pressure and you feel like you are pedaling with an anchor tied to you.  Heavy bike.  It isn't going to be totally zippy.

Not convinced that I like the flat bars.  The response is very slow.  It can be a tad bouncy at higher pressure in the tires.  Lower pressure and you feel like you are pedaling with an anchor tied to you.  Heavy bike.  It isn't going to be totally zippy.

I kind of thought all that, but at the same time, it allows you to go out and do when most people stay in and don't.  Mixed bag, but I predict that you will grow into loving it.

Maybe just ride it, and nothing else, all winter?

Shouldn't you maybe raise the bars a little?  They look low to me compared to the seat.

On the other hand, after riding this for a while, when you do get on the road bike it will seem like the road bike is feather light and really fast.  :)

^^^this. I trail ride my fatty in the summer months and then ride my 29er. Whoa nelly! I feel faster.