I need to get in better shape

Dirtyhip

I had a tough time pedaling the fat bike yesterday.  It felt strange and I felt like a weakling.

My slacking has only been for about 2-3 weeks.  Man, you lose fitness quickly, when you get older.  Bit sure if this has anything to do with having MS or not, but I got my ass kicked yesterday.

I think you are being too hard on yourself.  That fat bike will probably take some getting used to.  Like any piece of exercise equipment: different demands, more use of some muscles, etc.  

I'm sure it won't be too long before you are extolling the bike's virtues and saying how great it makes you feel.   :)  :)

+1. I couldn't agree more. I rode 6035 miles in 2007, and 6050 miles in 2009. Since then, my yearly totals don't add up to that :angry: Partly my fault for taking an "easy year" and not getting back into the groove, and secondly because I've been working a lot of overtime,which helps the bank account so that's not too terrible. But, when I do ride, even short 15 mile rides are strenuous. So this year for sure I need to ride more. My goal is 4000 miles. But it is amazing to me how not riding can be noticed. Here's to 2014 :)

I rode maybe 20 miles last year?  200 or so in 2012.

I have zero fitness.

I have slacked, but not nearly that bad!  The new long commute was the finishing touch on killing after work riding, so I am just a casual weekend warrior now.  I could be as low as 500 miles per year now.  And to top it off, my rear wheel split, so I have to ride my wife's bike.

Show us your out of shapeness.. The pictures can be posted in the Bikini thread.. 

I know the feeling you are talking about.. I need to get on the bike before it is too late and I kill myself when the weather gets better.  

• Heart 1

DH, don't say this!  I look up to you and fear I will never be as strong as you.  You need to keep strong and keep me motivated.

As for the new bike, I've never ridden one, and don't want to.  I like to go fast.  I asked quest about riding one in another post and he said they are a lot of fun, but a lot slower.  I suspect you are used to going fast.  From what I understand 5 or 6 mph is a good speed.  Don't expect too much.

I had a tough time pedaling the fat bike yesterday.  It felt strange and I felt like a weakling.

My slacking has only been for about 2-3 weeks.  Man, you lose fitness quickly, when you get older.  Bit sure if this has anything to do with having MS or not, but I got my ass kicked yesterday.

DH, fat biking is a whole different animal. We rode this morning on some groomed trails as well as some singletrack we had snowshoed. At times it felt like I was really laboring to keep up. Could have been something as simple as tire pressure. Should be running < 6 psi or you just slip and slide.