How do you make pizza dough?

Randomguy

3 - 3½ cups all purpose flour

I pack yeast

1 cup water (warm for the yeast to dissolve)

pinch salt, a dab or two of vegetable/olive oil, cornmeal

If too dry, add lil more water, if too watery add lil more flour.

I let the dough rise for 1 hour minimum before kneading it.

This will fit a Ø14" pan, or I use a 12x16.

I prefer thin crust usually, so it takes some playing around w/ the flour & water amounts until get the desired thickness. In the end it's all edible :)

it's pretty easy if you have the time.  My recipe is like the UP poster but I use bread flour, it's a more chewy dough.

4 cups bread flour

21/4 tsp instant yeast (1 packet)

1 1/2 tsp salt

2 tblsp olive oil

1 1/2 cups warm water.

You can use a food processor for mixing (a dough blade is better but the cutting blade works ok too.  Pulse the dry ingredients to mix, pour the wet thru the chute to combine.  Process until a ball forms, about 30 to 40 seconds.  If dough is too sticky and clings to the blade add a few tblsp flour.  Remove dough from bowl and knead for a few minutes on a floured surface.  Knead into a smooth round ball, place in a large, lightly greased bowl, turning dough to coat with oil.  This helps the dough expand and keeps the top from drying out.  Cover with plastic wrap and place in an unlit oven to rise, 60 to 90 minutes.

It helps to have RandomBaby in the kitchen while you do this, it's good quality time and you can tell her the steps in a corny Italian accent.  She'll like that.  

While the dough is rising, heat 2 tblsp olive oil in a 2 qt saucepan.  Add 2 cloves crushed garlic and when the garlic becomes fragrant add a 28 oz can crushed tomatoes, salt and pepper to taste and anything else you like in your sauce. (red pepper flakes, basil, oregano etc.)  Keep on low until the dough is ready.

You have asked me this several times over the years.  :huh:

I am not typing it out again.  You only get a summary.

You basically make a sponge with water, sugar, yeast and flour.  It's a two day process.  You start it in the fridge the night before as a sponge.  You mix it to dough and rest at room all day long.   :)

3 - 3½ cups all purpose flour
I pack yeast
1 cup water (warm for the yeast to dissolve)
pinch salt, a dab or two of vegetable/olive oil, cornmeal

If too dry, add lil more water, if too watery add lil more flour.

I let the dough rise for 1 hour minimum before kneading it.

This will fit a Ø14" pan, or I use a 12x16.

I prefer thin crust usually, so it takes some playing around w/ the flour & water amounts until get the desired thickness. In the end it's all edible :)

This is basically what I use, with the addition of about 2 tablespoons of honey. I will also use beer instead of water sometimes. I like a good stout if it's going to be meat toppings, a nice wheat beer for vegi toppings.

You have asked me this several times over the years.  :huh:

I am not typing it out again.  You only get a summary.

You basically make a sponge with water, sugar, yeast and flour.  It's a two day process.  You start it in the fridge the night before as a sponge.  You mix it to dough and rest at room all day long.   :)

But yours is the one I really wanted (no offense, everybody else)!  You have a way with such things, and after the jam, yours are the reference recipes.  I promise to make yours and report back.  In fact, I promise to make all of the offered recipes and report back!

But yours is the one I really wanted (no offense, everybody else)!  You have a way with such things, and after the jam, yours are the reference recipes.  I promise to make yours and report back.  In fact, I promise to make all of the offered recipes and report back!

You are sweet.  I like compliments.  haha

The night you do the premix, just mix to a consistency of cake dough and stop.  Rest overnight.

How many pies are you making?  My recipe makes 4. I usually make 2 and freeze two.  I start with 3 cups of water, 5 tbsp of sugar, 1 tsp of salt, and believe it or not, I only add about 2 tsp of yeast.  It's because of the long rise.  Just add flour about 2 cups at a time at first and then slow down.  You can tell when to stop adding flour.

You can add 1 tbsp of vital wheat gluten for every cup of WW flour.  It helps things nicely with holding things together too.  

Remember cake batter consistency, overnight rest in fridge, next morning mix to wettish dough and rest all day at room, work pizzas one hour before.  I will pull off a hunk and let it rest for an hour and then I do the dump rest for ten and shape to pizza vessel.  

For flour, I will alternate one cup of Bob's white, then 1 tsp of gluten, and one cup of WW flour. The more WW flour you use the crappier the dough will act.  I have only enjoyed it at a 1/2 ratio.