Cyclocross Question.

KrAzY

For any of you who have done cyclocross.

I'm in the middle of building a bike. What should I go with? Flat bars, Bull Horn, or Drops? 

I have ridden and own all three types of bars on the different types of bikes I do have, but I do not prefer one over the other. 

Bull Horns are more then likely not the way to go, but how much would I use the drops in riding? I really do not use them much on my road bike, but I do use the areobars like crazy. 

If I do go with the flat bars and quick shifters (thumb), should I shorten the bars to a manageable length? 

I don't really know the answer. I've got a friend who is/was (not sure which) really into Cyclocross. I can ask him if you like.

What are you building up?

building up a single track bike for trail riding. Nothing to extreme. 85% of it is going to be carbon, plus when I'm not playing in the mud or dirt… I'll swap out the tires and rims and use it as a commuter

• 3 months later...

I like the drops on my cross bike.  Though there are people who do it, I just have a hard time imagining racing with flat bars.  Bullhorns would be out of the question.  But I am really a cross noob and don't know my ass from a hole in the ground so take it for what it's worth.