Bicycle Travel Bags - any suggestions

SpeedDemon

I'm going to visit my daughter in Portland, OR for 10 days. 10 days of a bike rental will cost a ton. I would MUCH rather have my bike with my saddle, my power meter, etc. SO, that means I need to bring the bike with me. The bike was rather expensive (don't ask). So the question: what is the best and safest bike transport bag out there? I found this and it seems good? Any thoughts? 

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/us/en/evoc-bike-travel-bag-280l-2016/rp-prod64766

Actually, I used a cardboard box when I went to NYC for two weeks. And it worked great!

Well, the box was kinda big for my Specialized Sirrus. The box was used to ship my fattie to me. I now have a smaller box from my favorite LBS. I will have to take off the front wheel (same as the bigger box), remove the handle bars from the stem and zip-tie them to the frame, remove the pedals, and remove the seatpost and zip-tie it to the frame. Of course you'll need swim noodles or hot water pipe insulators for padding, but it's still a good way to go.

You can use shipbikes.com to ship it. They use Fed-Ex, but you don't pay the horrible Fed-Ex fees. It's especially nice if you can ship from one business (work address?) to another business. 

This really worked well for me. Sounds like Scrapr might have another option for you. But if you want your own bike (totally understandable!), this worked well for me.

• Heart 1

...I've used Bikeflights.com (or something like that) and it works well for much less money than the airlines usually charge.  But you still have to box it up  both ways.

If you're gonna spend that kind of money on a case, I would consider just going with a hardshell molded one, like the Thule (there are many).  Which if you are like me, will get less use than you thought it would.

54 minutes ago, smudge said:

Actually, I used a cardboard box when I went to NYC for two weeks. And it worked great!

How do you peddle a box?? 

I never flew with my bike yet... I have however driven over 3000 miles with it attached to my vehicle to get to my destination for a good ride with friends :)

5 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

Be careful with that bike in Portland.  That is like the bike theft capital of the U.S.  Bring damn good locks.

I've never flown with a bike before, so I am not much help there.

I thought it was all idealistic and shit?  Sheesh!  Bike thieves?  Aboot the modern day equivalent of horse thieves. :angry:

3 hours ago, Abstruse Moose said:

I thought it was all idealistic and shit?  Sheesh!  Bike thieves?  Aboot the modern day equivalent of horse thieves. :angry:

A MTB mag article likened a cyclist's bike to a cowboy's horse. I think that was spot on.

Wow, thanks for all of the great suggestions.

After some investigation it seems that shipping the bike may be the best bet. Cheapest, but also the safest. I've also decided NOT to bring my expensive bike. I'm going to a bike shop this weekend and will ask around while I'm there to see if they have any other ideas.

1 hour ago, SpeedDemon said:

Wow, thanks for all of the great suggestions.

After some investigation it seems that shipping the bike may be the best bet. Cheapest, but also the safest. I've also decided NOT to bring my expensive bike. I'm going to a bike shop this weekend and will ask around while I'm there to see if they have any other ideas.

Whew!  We'll rest easier with your expensive bike safely at home.

What sort of plans do you have for riding out there? If it's appropriate for that bike, ship it. If you are using it for a commuter, then a different type of bike may be a better idea.

I left my Roubaix home when I went to NYC cuz I wasn't going to do a lot of long rides. I needed a commuter/explorer, so I shipped the Sirrus.