Performance Evals

Square Wheels

I only have one direct report.  I have to do their annual review, and while they are a great employee and the review is essentially routine, I always wait until the last minute to write it.  I just hate writing these things.  I give them constant feedback throughout the year, at least several times a week.  Maybe I should record our meetings and use that for the review?

I only have one direct report.  I have to do their annual review, and while they are a great employee and the review is essentially routine, I always wait until the last minute to write it.  I just hate writing these things.  I give them constant feedback throughout the year, at least several times a week.  Maybe I should record our meetings and use that for the review?

One of my previous managers did that, it worked well.  He also had his employees evaluate him.  I liked that.

• Heart 1

Our reviews here are totally bogus. My direct supervisor has almost zero contact with me and has absolutely not way to know if I do a good job or not. Not only that, but the managers don't fill the forms out accurately regardless. If I am super proficient at something they will mark me lower just so I have some "room to grow" and in most cases, won't rate badly even when warranted so nobody's feelings get hurt.

Then, the Director of Operations who oversees the reviews further alters them to fit them into the "budget bell curve" I have pretty much maxed my pay out so regardless of my review, I am going to get the bare minimum Cost Of Living increase and my performance is irrelevant. Which means that people who don't score well get more of a raise in hopes that more money improves performance.

Last year I walked in, signed the review and walked out, never sat down or said a word. My boss said nothing in return.

I never get to evaluate my boss.  Although, I would love to, because she sucks.  She is a micro-manager and very condescending to me.

Our workplace is very draconian for people at my level.  People in other departments are allowed to wear colored jeans, yet I am not allowed to do that.  Our Dept. is the ONLY dept with a very strict dress code.  I am supposed to address people by their title.  Dr. this and Dr. that.  

I hate it here, and I should be leaving by next year.  Just trying to make some extra money, before my exit.  

The thing I truly despised about them, both giving and receiving, is that while I would rate someone excellent, their compensation would be the same for those that received a satisfactory.  Of that I had little say so, even though they were my direct reports.  It was Bell curve and budgets.  I hated it.  :unhappy:

I was quite happy when I worked for a company that totally ignored them.  Their theory was if someone wasn't happy with your work, you'd find out soon enough!  We don;t need no stinking forms!

Unfortunately, corporate bullshit is big business and here to stay.  Just look how well Dogbert's consulting comany does. :(