What is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for you?

Square Wheels

I don't like people paying attention to me, but I agreed to a big 50th birthday party.  Lot's of people came.  I asked that no one give me a gift, but if they felt compelled to donate instead to Angel Flight.  Everyone who gave me anything honored that request.  This included several people from this site.

I was really touched by that.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't like people paying attention to me, but I agreed to a big 50th birthday party.  Lot's of people came.  I asked that no one give me a gift, but if they felt compelled to donate instead to Angel Flight.  Everyone who gave me anything honored that request.  This included several people from this site.

I was really touched by that.

Mine was better.

1 hour ago, Page Turner said:

...a communist, a Muslim, and Couch walk into a bar.

So they sit down at the bar, and the bartender sez, "What'll you have, gents ?"

The Muslim pipes up, " Thank you, my good fellow, but alcohol is not permitted to one of my faith. Asalaam Alaykum"

He looks at Couch, who sez, "Thank you for asking, my brother, but I have given up drinking, with the help of god and of my friends and loved ones. Love, man."

The Commie listens to all of this, thinks about it for a minute, looks at Couch and the Muslim, and says, " OK, the first round's on me. One of you guys can get the next one."

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Mine is similar.  We moved to Virginia in 1957.  It was the beginning of the school year and I was nine years old with no friends or acquaintances in a new school and a new neighborhood.  I had been riding my brother's bike but had never had one of my own.  On our second or third day in these new strange surroundings, my Dad surprised me with a brand new red, 3-speed, adult sized "English" bike from Sears and Roebuck.  If I remember correctly, those things cost $35-$40 in those days.  That was a lot of money, since my Dad was only bringing home about $100 a week total and that was the entire support of our family of four.

That was almost 60 years ago, but I remember that moment like it was yesterday.   

That was the greatest gift I ever received or ever would receive (to paraphrase a certain movie).   :)

...I think I was a couple of years older when I got mine, a Dunelt in flamboyant red.  I had gone a year without a bike, 'cause I let my last one get stolen.:( I still remember the olde bike shop it came from , Southeast Cycles, over across the Anacostia, closer to Capitol Hill.  The Dunelt got stolen, too, but not until 1971 when I was in the navy, and my old man was gone to his eternal reward.:)

• 1 year later...

The judge saved me a LOT of trouble, so he is number one.

I was bike commuting 12 miles, working at a glass plant. It had been a hard day in a very hot area (120 or so ) I was tired and dehydrated and ran out of poop on a slight uphill about half way home. 

I was hanging over the bike, a guy in a pickup stopped and asked if I was OK. I told him yes. He asked where I lived, I told him.

He said something about 'too damn far, toss the bike in the truck' and gave me a ride home. 

• Heart 3

Besides my dearie selecting me.. is someone who cares for you when you aren't even conscious of it.  When I was knocked unconscious off my bike by another cyclist. My partner recounted how I was ..eyes wide open but lost my short term memory and no memory of next 4 hrs.  He cooked all meals, errands, shopping and  did housework for 3 months because I was in bed, too dizzy/unable to do tasks safely.

My parents who are responsible for my birth and all those 2 decades..raising me. My mother gave birth to me with no one else knowing Chinese at the hospital and she not understanding English. This is in a small city.. outside of Toronto.  When fathers were not allowed in delivery rm. 

And several other giving unselfish highlights from others..

• Heart 1

My wife saying yes when I proposed to her. It was actually a question when I asked her, not a given, I had no idea if she would say yes but I had to ask. She didn't answer right away, in fact she made me wait about 11 hours from the time I asked her before she finally gave me an answer. She has been a blessing to me for over 42 years and we work as a team. I can't even imagine my life with anyone else.

• Heart 1

58 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

My wife saying yes when I proposed to her. It was actually a question when I asked her, not a given, I had no idea if she would say yes but I had to ask. She didn't answer right away, in fact she made me wait about 11 hours from the time I asked her before she finally gave me an answer. She has been a blessing to me for over 42 years and we work as a team. I can't even imagine my life with anyone else.

LOL. WoScrapr made me hang a bit too. I was so very nervous i could hardly eat dinner. We went to a nice joint then spend a night at a small hotel. I had gone to a jewelry store earlier and got a generic ring. So i could return it for something nice. The salespeople were all happy and asking me she's going to say yes right? I had to answer i have absolutely no idea. 

I was going to ask at dinner but i was too nervous. Finally we finished and went to the hotel lobby. Pretty much just looking at one another. I finally asked. She said yes an hour or two later. 

Lots of people have been incredibly nice to me!  Just when you know that the whole world sucks, people are shit, and life is the biggest bitch imaginable, nice people will show up and prove you wrong time and again.

I remember a quote that I am sure I don't have exactly right, but it pretty much went like this:  "If I was 10% as cool as my dog thought I was, I would be the coolest person to ever walk the planet".  I often think that about the nice people I know (that they are as cool as my dog thought I was).  I don't often say it, as I always think they already know it, but there are some really awesome folks around and I really appreciate them.  I should tell them more.

14 hours ago, Scrapr said:

I was going to ask at dinner but i was too nervous. Finally we finished and went to the hotel lobby. Pretty much just looking at one another. I finally asked. She said yes an hour or two later. 

Hmmm. Did anyone else take away from this story that Scrapr is apparently good in the sack??? IN-teresting!

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, smudge said:

Hmmm. Did anyone else take away from this story that Scrapr is apparently good in the sack??? IN-teresting!

Lolol....no. Iirc she was interrogating me. I was plying her w champagne and chocolate covered strawberries. We had a room that had a big glass roof that you could see the stars out. It was spectacular. 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.youtube.com/watch%3Fv%3DBL2PicT9Kng&ved=0ahUKEwjCgof-_NzYAhVY_WMKHY-KAa0QwqsBCC8wAg&usg=AOvVaw2lR7kJLQ6wyElukCI3nHbT

• Heart 1

Make me dinner.

I'm the person that always does things for people, people rarely do things for me, even when they say they will.  And it's amazing how fast people disappear when I do need something.  Found that out quickly while be unemployed, where numerous people I've either helped or tried to help get jobs in the past said if I was ever in the same situation let them know.  Amazing how fast they back track and come up with excuses when you try to take them up on the offer.  Yeah, people in general.