Work is stressful lately....I need break

petitepedal

1 co-worker has short-term itis...comes in 3 or 4 days a week...we never know from day to day..and he is like the "Golden Boy" so...it ain't gonna change. Management thinks the sun rises and sets on this guy.  Unfortunately, that leaves the rest of us out there hanging...because some stuff is just his project and well...now he is sick so we have his mess to deal with, as well as the regular stuff....another person in this same area (maintenance)...is doing his work but he is slow...and we are beginning to think he has memory issues....elevator not quite going to all the floors..So that leaves 1 full time guy over worked and stressed...then there is the marketing person who doesn't pass on information and just expects things done (by maintenance or me) with lttle or no thought to how long some things take...Oh and we are doing an entire building remodel..starting with the kitchen...and the "short-term" guy was in charge of the demo (left it to the other guys)...and now when the plumbing needs to be done "because we can do that in house"...I am scrambling to get a plumber and trying to coordinate it between stuff that is already running behind :wacko:    This isn't a good rant...I am too tired and stressed to even try to make it good...

Just venting..............

One effective way to reduce stress is to stop taking on the work that other people are supposed to do.  Many people simply step up and do the extra work because they are responsible and care that things go well where they work.

What happens is the person who is the slacker learns that he (she) can under-perform and the other employees will pick up the work.  They coast.

Everybody else performs extra work and doesn't get any extra pay for doing it.

It's not going to get better until you and your co-workers take action to make it better.

So my suggestion would be to let go of any work that's not yours.  I would, however, have a back-up plan for when Golden Boy fails in his tasks as you know he will.  That way you yourself are ready and prepared to keep serving your 'customers', and you minimize the impact of his failures.

And when management asks why things aren't going according to plan, you can say - honestly - "I'm sorry, I'm not sure.  That was Golden Boy's project so I think he'd be the best person to ask.'

It may take some time, but if most of the people who work with Golden Boy also take the same approach, it will become evident where the problem resides.  It will likely take a year or more for management to recognize it, and maybe longer to fix it.  But in the meantime you won't stress out because you're doing all your work and part of someone else's as well.