What is the story of your user name?

Randomguy

So I was sitting at some outdoor food court San Diego when I lived there (2000-2004), and I overheard some chick complaining to a friend about her recent ex and how she should just bang the next random guy she met to get back at him somehow.  

I said "Hey, I am some random guy", but then she backtracked.  Obviously, I could see why the ex dumped a duplicitious wretch like that.  I mean, here I was, ready to service her, and she pulls that kind of thing.

Anyway, the next day I signed up for that cycling forum (the LF) and used Randomguy for my user name.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So there you have it.  How did you get to be who you are?
  • Heart 2

Every since I was stationed at Pensacola I was a Parrothead (Jimmy Buffett fan).  When I first signed up for the interwebs on AOL I tried to be parrothead but I could not do this without being parrothead51032.  So I came up with Parr8hed and that was accepted by the software.  I have been that on many forums and emails since. 

• Heart 1

The story, according to my family, was that I chewed the stuffing out of my grandmother's rocking chair cushion one day when I was about 2 years old. She immediately gave me the nickname "Termite". 

The nickname stuck and most of my family called me "Termite" growing up. I liked the nickname...it was fun and original. All my cousins had goofy nicknames, but I was the only that "earned" his nickname and I was proud of that fact.

Fast forward now to college. It was about 1995 and I was creating my first web page for a project for a club I was getting in to. The web was very new then and there did not seem to be much originality in the few web pages that did exist. I wanted my web page to be a bit different....original.

I have always enjoyed fantasy literature, so I decided to sort of make it castle themed. My plan was to have each page on the website be sort of a room in the castle. The website needed some sort of "name"...and I was struggling with that. I finally decided to call it Castle Termite since I enjoyed my nickname.

Not too long after that, I was trying to register for Yahoo. I was annoyed, you didn't used to have to register, but it seemed that lately every website was forcing you to register to do anything. Whenever I registered on any website, I tried to use "Termite" as my user name and usually had no trouble. Now, though, on a much bigger website, like Yahoo, I found that "Termite" was a taken user name. I was not happy. Who in the world would be "Termite" other than me?

Anyway, I had to come up with a more unique name it seemed. I also decided that day that I needed something VERY unique so that I could always assure it was available, I didn't like the idea of just attaching some number to the end like Termite0785697 like many other people seemed to do.

I sat and gave it long thought as it seemed this might be "my name" online for a long time to come. I started thinking about my website at school, "Castle Termite" and realized that if I was the creator of Castle Termite, I must be its king. Thus King Termite was born  that day. I only dropped the space between the words to make sure it would work on all systems.

• Heart 1

I ride strictly on paved surfaces.  Before I hurt my knee, I use to be a runner.

Roadrunner was the name of my first new car.  I owned it for 42 years (1968-2010).  Here is a pic circa 1975.

OH.  MY.  GOD....

I LOVE the Roadrunner.  My dad had three of them.  Two 69's and a 70 IIRC???  That is beautiful.

• Awesome 1

I've seen those before, I'm curious what they mean.

As for my name, it was a dig against myself.  I'm new and started cycling 50 pounds overweight.  Felt like I was riding on, well you get it.

My first name is Travis.  My freinds call me T-Bone.  They have since shortened it to just "Bone".  So my nickname for my friends (even my wife sometimes) is Bone.  There was a "nickname" thread on the LF and I told them my name was T-Bone.  If you have seen the Seinfeld episode when George tried to make up his own nickname then Koko will make sense.

Parsley???  Some n00b came onto the LF and they were giving her a hard time.  I was actually trying to be nice to her and for some reason she called me Parsely.  Not even sure why?  Anyone remember?

• Heart 1

People who really like Airedales are sometimes called Aireheads.  Prior to that, I used my real name.  Someone with way too much time took the trouble to find out where I worked and called me to say hello.  That was freaky!  I changed my name.

I think there are rules against bringing most of you to work with me.

We were coming up with names for characters when playing Dungeons and Dragons, back in '80 or '81. One of us had the idea to reverse common names, so on that tangent I reversed my own name, and also a few other names that popped into my head, one of which was Han Solo. However, since 'Olos Nah' seemed a bit off, I added in an 'a' and it became 'Olas Nah'. Had a ring to it. Viking-ish, but also not.

The character got killed before reaching 10th level (Fighter), but was revived as a mercenary type NPC (of a much higher level) that was a sortof benefactor to future dungeon parties we had. We were part of a rather large group of players in my area, and upon going to Gen-Con one year, I was directly asked if I had any good NPC characters, to which I provided Olas Nah. He was used by nearly every tournament in play that week in limited roles. It was kinda cool.

Fast forward to the Internet age, and I recalled the name and figured it would make a good username for things.

My name is John.  When I got married my wife's father is named John and my wife's little brother is also named John.  That could get confusing.  My father in law is a big man so he became "Big John", His son was still a boy so he became "John Boy" I am six foot five so I became "Longjohn".

You could have come up with a better story for how "Longjohn" became your name.

Like your doodle was way longer than your FILs and BILs.

So is that a hillclimb bike?  The rear swing arm looks to be longer than normal?

Ya that day. That bike is my work bike it gets switched from hill climb to motocross to trail to GNCC to ice racer. I have a Honda CR500 that is just used for hill climbing. I tried to motocross race the 500 and I found out that the bike will try to kill you.

I had several races that ended with my wife driving me to the hospital.

I use the name downhillcoaster on the LF because coasting down hills is what I do best on a bike.  I could have acted all badass and named myself "UP"hillcoaster but climbing isn't my strong point.  I started using Ernest T's picture as my avatar and people started calling me Ernest T.  New forum...new name.  

• Heart 2