What is the story of your user name?

Randomguy

RG, I love your story :)  You should had that one fair and square - a reward for being in the right place at the right time! :D  I still remember feeling like an asshole asking "is this randomguy" on the phone when we had our meetup with Phoenix. :D

BTW, my new one was just searching for a good Moose rhyme because I was sequeing out of TIB, avatar first.  I have always loved mooses (from afar of course. :D ).  

On September 26, 2013 at 11:05 AM, Ernest T. Bass said:

I use the name downhillcoaster on the LF because coasting down hills is what I do best on a bike.  I could have acted all badass and named myself "UP"hillcoaster but climbing isn't my strong point.  I started using Ernest T's picture as my avatar and people started calling me Ernest T.  New forum...new name.  

I miss Ernest T. Bass!

• Heart 1

On September 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Mr. Beanz said:

Mr. Beanz is actually Mr. Beans. My father started calling me Mr. Beanz when I was about a year old. Name has stuck and many of my family members still call me by Mr. Beans. I dunno, maybe I looked like a little beaner when I was young.  :D

I had to change the z to an s when I signed on forums back in 2002 because Beans & Mr. Beans, were taken. :blush:

So how do you feel about Mr. Bean? :D  Is he like Michael Bolton to you? :)

• Heart 1

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've noticed, over the years, that when I travel out of state and wear a "Lighthouses of the Chesapeake" tee shirt or Orioles baseball cap or etc. it sometimes serves as an icebreaker and I will often end up in conversations with people who had lived or visited Maryland.

So MickinMD was the online equivalent.

• Heart 1

I used to race radio control cars. Several families in the group who had Team names. There were 2 brothers in our group whose last name started with "Z". Called themselves Team Z. I kind of liked that. My last name starts with W. Didn't like the sound of "Team W". 

I remembered the IMSA race team named Group44 Racing. I thought to myself that maybe Group W would work. The moment I said it, I remembered "Alice's Restaurant" and then I HAD to use the name. When I first needed an internet handle on the internet, I just carried the name over. 

I also worked at a record store at the time so I always numbered my cars "33 1/3". 

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

23 minutes ago, groupw said:

I remembered the IMSA race team named Group44 Racing. I thought to myself that maybe Group W would work. The moment I said it, I remembered "Alice's Restaurant" and then I HAD to use the name. When I first needed an internet handle on the internet, I just carried the name over. 

So I’m sitting here on the group W bench with all the other father stabbers, mother rapers, father rapers.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, groupw said:

I used to race radio control cars. Several families in the group who had Team names. There were 2 brothers in our group whose last name started with "Z". Called themselves Team Z. I kind of liked that. My last name starts with W. Didn't like the sound of "Team W". 

I also worked at a record store at the time so I always numbered my cars "33 1/3". 

When I was involved in team racing with the RC cars the team name was Rteam.  :P

As an RC driver you can probably guess where maddmaxx came from.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

• 2 years later...

When I toured China, one of my tee-shirts featured "Lighthouses of Maryland" and it's amazing how much interaction resulted. Some Chinese guy in the middle of China would smile and say, "Crabs!"  Some Marylander crossed paths with me in one of the Terra Cotta Warriors pits. I met a pretty blonde from Maryland studying in China in the Hot Rock Cafe Beijing, etc.

That experience led me to use MickinMD when I began playing chess on chess.com against worldwide opponents to give people an idea of where I was from.

I now use it on several sites.

5 hours ago, MickinMD said:

When I toured China, one of my tee-shirts featured "Lighthouses of Maryland" and it's amazing how much interaction resulted. Some Chinese guy in the middle of China would smile and say, "Crabs!"  Some Marylander crossed paths with me in one of the Terra Cotta Warriors pits. I met a pretty blonde from Maryland studying in China in the Hot Rock Cafe Beijing, etc.

That experience led me to use MickinMD when I began playing chess on chess.com against worldwide opponents to give people an idea of where I was from.

I now use it on several sites.

I love the Chinese near copies of western names.  :whistle:

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m not going to reread all of these tell responses to see if I explained this before... so I once got a letter, intended for me, that explained that the writer believed I was Prophet Zacharia. I don’t recall her reasoning, but I didn’t want to let her down, so here I became.

Yes, you are correct!

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

Personally I think it’s rather strange to put your location in your forum name - @BuffJim agreed.

That is funny.  I just always took @BuffJim s  name in the way that he was saying he was 'buff' and in really good shape.  I never made the connection even though I knew he was in the Buffalo area.  Wow.

• Haha 1

I looks like I never responded to this tread back in 2013.

Back when I joined the LF, if memory serves in 2003, my original user name was OldBikeGuy.    Let's just say I was drawn and quarter because I used old in the user name.  It may have been BikerBilly, in his usual way, who explained it to me the best.  So I dropped the old from my user name.    Hey I felt old at the time... a 5 mile ride was a killer back then.

Looking back... using old was a bad choice and BikerBilly was correct.  I just wish I could remember exactly how he told me off.  I'm sure it was rather direct and blunt, and he was correct.

• Heart 2
  • Haha 1