Why is it that people are so offended by the sight of the human body?

Road Runner

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

If you have ever been to a nudist resort you would see that nudists don't have a problem with size.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I think this is the key, LJ.  People who have experienced being nude in a free and open setting realize just how natural and easy it is.  Weight and body shapes are not important.  With everyone naked, you realize that no one has a perfect body and that no one has a reason to fell embarrassed or ashamed.

Fat doesn't matter anymore in a nude environment than it does in a clothed environment.  Most people who have never been somewhere where clothing is optional imagine all sorts of weird, disgusting bodies and deviant behavior.  It's understandable, but it's just wrong.  People are just people, covered up or not.   :)

cartman2.gif

21 minutes ago, Zealot said:

It's something rooted far deeper in the human psyche.

How come it's not in LJ's or my psyche?  Most likely because we've experienced it.  Try it and I guarantee your outlook will be changed.  But I'm not trying to make people do what they don't want to do.  This all started as a commentary on the usual reaction to seeing certain parts of the human body.  Everyone has a penis or a vagina and they don't go away just because of a thin piece of cloth.

That people in a modern and enlightened society are still afraid of exposing the entire body to common view is extremely curious and perplexing to me.  If mankind doesn't destroy himself and the planet in the next 100 years, I suspect that this will change, but I suppose societal progress has to take its own sweet time.

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

How come it's not in LJ's or my psyche?  Most likely because we've experienced it.  Try it and I guarantee your outlook will be changed.  But I'm not trying to make people do what they don't want to do.  This all started as a commentary on the usual reaction to seeing certain parts of the human body.  Everyone has a penis or a vagina and they don't go away just because of a thin piece of cloth.

That people in a modern and enlightened society are still afraid of exposing the entire body to common view is extremely curious and perplexing to me.  If mankind doesn't destroy himself and the planet in the next 100 years, I suspect that this will change, but I guess societal progress has to take its own good time.

But... but this would require living in a warm, hospitable environment.  Oh I get it.  You want all the Californians and Arizonans to be naked.  Good move.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

But... but this would require living in a warm, hospitable environment.  Oh I get it.  You want all the Californians and Arizonans to be naked.  Good move.

No, I'm saying we should be able to wear clothes when we want to or need to and be naked when we want to as well.  Clothing shouldn't be regulated, IMO.

I'm saying we should be able to wear clothes when we want to or need to and be naked when we want to as well.  Clothing shouldn't be regulated, IMO.

Ok.  Here's my serous answer.  That day may come but I sorta like the "what's behind the wrapping" approach.   But it's not about you or me -- it's about the kids, right?  I'm telling you that if I was in junior high or high school and a chick sat next to me naked, there is no way in hell that i would be able to focus on anything else -- certainly not the chalk board.  And honestly with my hormones running shotgun, I might've got thrown in jail for attempted rape.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Ok.  Here's my serous answer.  That day may come but I sorta like the "what's behind the wrapping" approach.   But it's not about you or me -- it's about the kids, right?  I'm telling you that if I was in junior high or high school and a chick sat next to me naked, there is no way in hell that i would be able to focus on anything else -- certainly not the chalk board.  And honestly with my hormones running shotgun, I might've got thrown in jail for attempted rape.

And I'm telling you that you are wrong (no offense intended).  I have been to family nudist resorts full of children.  The issue of people being naked goes away once everyone gets used to it.  Kids play together naked, adults interact and no one gets raped.  That's just stupid.  

• Heart 2

And I'm telling you that you are wrong.  I have been to family nudist resorts full of children.  The issue of people being naked goes away once everyone gets used to it.  Kids play together naked, adults interact and no one gets raped.  That's just stupid.  

I can handle being wrong.  It wouldn't be the first time.  And I have no doubt that my view on this would change.  I'm not stubborn.  But you do realize mankind(womankind) evolved from nakedness into clothes, right?  Ever wonder why?

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

And I'm telling you that you are wrong.  I have been to family nudist resorts full of children.  The issue of people being naked goes away once everyone gets used to it.  Kids play together naked, adults interact and no one gets raped.  That's just stupid.  

In a nudist colony, where behavior is regulated. If you don't abide by the rules, you get removed. 

Do you believe that in society, if everyone was naked the 'human condition' would go away? You don't think kids hormones would get the best of them? You don't think rape would still happen? Dude, that's a fantasy you're living in if that's what you're saying. 

People are people - with or without clothing.

1 minute ago, dotman17 said:

I can handle being wrong.  It wouldn't be the first time.  And I have no doubt that my view on this would change.  I'm not stubborn.  But you do realize mankind(womankind) evolved from nakedness into clothes, right?  Ever wonder why?

Initially because of the cold.  Then Queen Victoria came along and insisted on everyone being covered from head to toe at all times.  Then she died and people started removing the excess crap.  Now you can expose almost everything with the exception of just a few square inches.  That restriction will disappear in time as well, unless we get a new ice age.

25 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

How come it's not in LJ's or my psyche?  Most likely because we've experienced it.  Try it and I guarantee your outlook will be changed.  

What I am referencing is a part of the human psyche.  But people all the time over ride things in their minds. 

1 minute ago, dotman17 said:

I'm not so bad Cheese.  Even Paige was willing to meet a second time -- and I didn't even have to pay him money.

Yes you are. You are a perverted deviant that came to us brainwashed.  

You now semi fit in with all of us deviants here. You have my half-assed blessing but please remain seated at the back of the bus until I summon you forth. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Initially because of the cold.  Then Queen Victoria came along and insisted on everyone being covered from head to toe at all times.  Then she died and people started removing the excess crap.  Now you can expose almost everything with the exception of just a few square inches.  That restriction will disappear in time as well, unless we get a new ice age.

Queen Vitctoria was not the origins of society.

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Yes you are. You are a perverted deviant that came to us brainwashed.  

You now semi fit in with all of us deviants here. You have my half-assed blessing but please remain seated at the back of the bus until I summon you forth. 

Ha!  As if that'll ever happen.  I'm the guy on the bicycle.  I look like hell too.

49 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

And I'm telling you that you are wrong (no offense intended).  I have been to family nudist resorts full of children.  The issue of people being naked goes away once everyone gets used to it.  Kids play together naked, adults interact and no one gets raped.  That's just stupid.  

I agree.  Our generation has been brought up in a way that you don't see naked people, so it has become a big deal when people are seen naked.  It isn't been seen or seeing someone naked that is horrible, it is that we are brought up in a way where we don't see it that is horrible.  

In summary, it is stupid that we conceal everthing from everyone all the time, for any reason.  For the children?  That is just stupid, kids seem to handle that just fine.  The strong reaction against nudity is normally from repressive, prudish, old-maidish holdovers from the Victorian era that cannot deal with any idea that makes them uncomfortable.  "Oh, I would never be able to explain to a child what a hairy box or limp dick is, so I will make damn sure no one will EVER see those things publicly, in any way!".

Yeah, that has worked so well.  :frantics::blink::wacko:

Again, i'm pretty opened minded about this chit and I'm not caught in the dogma ethics of religion.  I'm simply saying there was/is a reason all major civilized societies have clothing as the acceptable standard.  Many of these societies were not under rule of the other.  So, does that make it right?  Of course not.  There's a lot of tradition that's wrong -- like Notre Dame football -- but it's what we work with.  I encourage you revolutionists to pick up your game.

Just now, dotman17 said:

Again, i'm pretty opened minded about this chit and I'm not caught in the dogma ethics of religion.  I'm simply saying there was is a reason all major civilized societies have clothing as the acceptable standard.  Many of these societies were not under rule of the other.  So, does that make it right?  Of course not.  There's a lot of tradition that's wrong -- like Notre Dame football -- but it's what we work with.  I encourage you revolutionists to pick up your game though.

Global warming will make being naked popular again, you wait and see.

• Heart 1

Just now, dotman17 said:

I'm down with it.  And conservatives are going to be ripping apart at their seams.  GW and nakedness.

I just cannot wait to get naked and ring doorbells!   We will forget all our training and behave like dogs immediately and without regard for anything or anyone ever again. :humping:

1 hour ago, Randomguy said:

Global warming will make being naked popular again, you wait and see.

So that's why hard-right Republicans hate and refuse to acknowledge the existence of climate change.

Enlightenment found.  And from RG, of all people. :)

• Heart 1

After a bit of reading, it seems that nudity provokes emotion, and emotion changes our physical stasis (breathing, heart rate, adrenal response).  Anything that changes us emotionally and messes with our cardiopulmonary responses becomes subject to culture...we have to control it, subdue it for our purposes.  Emotion supports reasoning; they're not opposites, but coexist in fluid proportions as the situation and one's cultural training determine.  Both clothing and the absence of clothing are culturally determined, as are accompanying feelings of modesty or shame, attractiveness or utility, respective to each culture.

So, this may speak to the original topic:  We're offended by nude bodies to the extent that our culture reinforces its norms for modesty.  

During the middle ages hundreds of women were put to death because they were "glamorous," meaning their beauty cast a spell over the local men such that they couldn't stop thinking about their bodies, their hair, their facial expressions and mannerisms.  I bring this up because these women were executed through no fault of their own.  It may be still. Nudity is under the control of those offended by their own thoughts.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, onbike1939 said:

I find nudity quite acceptable when it is voluntary.. but twice now I've caught myself at the front door leaving my home without my trousers.

It's......disturbing. :(

I have trouble remembering to zip up when done.  Damn.

• Heart 2

The State Line Streak, a Nude 5K run, a Nude Glow run, and other 'olympic' competitions, returns on July 8th to 10th. If you haven't heard about Color Runs yet, check out these links: [Health Online] [San Francisco Chronicle] [Runners World]. The color/glow run is an evening event and the whole weekend consists of multiple 'olympic' activities and competitions. Download the PDF flier, or go directly to the registration page.

I couldn't post the link to the site, one tiny little picture of the backs of a group of nude people gathered around an American flag.  The rest of the page was legal.

• Heart 1

Sorry, I'm still hanging onto my clothes.  

I still 'suffer' from good wood at the drop of a hat or a cool breeze and would find walking down main street wearing nothing but my flip flops and sunglasses while 'saluting' everyone coming my way a little awkward.  :blush:

• Heart 2

12 hours ago, Zephyr said:

Sorry, I'm still hanging onto my clothes.  

I still 'suffer' from good wood at the drop of a hat or a cool breeze and would find walking down main street wearing nothing but my flip flops and sunglasses while 'saluting' everyone coming my way a little awkward.  :blush:

For some reason I find that this post doesn't resonate with me..........and what's worse I don't seem to care. :(