I had to buy peaches from my backup peach farmer this year

Ralphie

The primary lost a lot of his crop due to freezing, so he is not selling retail this year. :(

On the plus side, it is good to test your backup systems, and the peaches are goood!  Cling though. :angry:  But I guess maybe the early ones are everywhere anyway.  Juicy out the wazoo!

• Heart 3

While I was in Disney this year we had a big freeze and a couple inches of snow from what I hear.  It was in the nineties in Disney so I'm just going by what I heard.  All the new growth on my grape vines was brown when I got home.  I thought that was it for grapes this year but there are grapes on the vines, it must have just froze some new leaves.

its a little on the early side for peaches here, especially this year.  We're in between strawberries and what's left of the peach crop right now

the frost knocked out about all the local cherries, berries, plums, and apricots :(

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, Longjohn said:

While I was in Disney this year we had a big freeze and a couple inches of snow from what I hear.  It was in the nineties in Disney so I'm just going by what I heard.  All the new growth on my grape vines was brown when I got home.  I thought that was it for grapes this year but there are grapes on the vines, it must have just froze some new leaves.

It must have been right on the edge, because I did see peaches on Farmer A's trees, but I guess he has to fulfill his contracts first, and there are none left over for us retail people.

The ones I bought are just ripening now, and they are firm but delicious. :)

We're pretty far north for peaches, but my husband likes to grow Red Haven peaches. It's usually touch-and-go, but he really loves those juicy peaches! Unfortunately, we had a super cold winter two winters ago and lost our trees. We have one replacement but are having a hell of a time finding a couple more. Don't know why it's so tough to find Red Haven peach trees this year!

• 4 years later...

Well, 2020 was the same situation!  And I am happy to say that the backup peach farmer's peaches are holding up well, even the big batch.  I keep them in the fridge and pull a couple out each day to ripen.  Before they never held up nearly as well as the primary peach farmer's did.  This batch is freestone and it is spectacular. :)

• Heart 2

54 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

Well, 2020 was the same situation!  And I am happy to say that the backup peach farmer's peaches are holding up well, even the big batch.  I keep them in the fridge and pull a couple out each day to ripen.  Before they never held up nearly as well as the primary peach farmer's did.  This batch is freestone and it is spectacular. :)

What do you do with the peaches besides eating them? Cobbler, pie, brandy, preserves?