So do any of you bastards know how to fix a cheap Shimano front derailler?

Ralphie

Question

It is on a Trek 800 Sport, GripShift MRX, a bottom of the line type that you shift with your thumb.  It won;t stay put, so the front stays on the smallest chain ring.  The cable looks a tad loose and the limit screws look backed out.  I don;t know who fucked with it - not me!  My daughter's bike.

OK, sounds like a broken shifter.  It is plastic but I would hope the pawls are metal.  It might be hard to find an replacement for an ancient bike, but I guess a functional replacement shouldn't be too hard to find.  It is probably aboot a mid-90s bike.

https://www.reddit.com/r/bikewrench/comments/1qc85y/my_front_derailleur_wont_stay_in_place_when_i/

This looks like the answer, but it is long. :D

https://kurtbredeson.wordpress.com/2014/01/25/replacing-grip-shifters-on-a-mountain-bike/

11 answers to this question

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

You say gripshift but then you say shift with thumb???

Gripshifters are rotary like the throttle on a motorcycle.

How many rings in front, 2 or 3.  If you order the right one you can buy a new one with cable already installed in the shifter for about $20.

Oops!  I got in confuzled with the other MTB - it is a grip shifter for 3 gears.  Yeah, I saw those on the interwebz, guess I need to buy one.  None looked Ed Zachary like it, but I guess they should fit.

I believe that any 3 speed MRX will work for you and it will have the advantage of already having a cable in the shifter.  Beyond that I'm going to have to plead ignorance of that level of shifter.  I use higher level SRAM X.9 and X.0 shifters and their trick is to use the same 9 speed mech on the front as well as the rear.  That way I just set it up for 4 detents per ring, or in case of my doubles just roll it till your in the other ring.

9 hours ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Thanks, maxx!

And thanks for nuthin, lj! :nyanya: *

* - Actually thanks for bumping this so I could see maxx's answer. :D

If you do decide to replace it, you might want to look at these.  At a similar price, the quality will be a bit higher.  I believe that (but I can't claim experience at this level, perhaps someone else can jump in) these will do what I described in the post above.  That would be several clicks per ring for a front derailleur.  You should be able to buy them reasonably cheap and they usually come with a cable already installed.  Slip one on the bar and run the cable.  Just buy the front shifter.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/products/30-twist-shifters