Are you prouder of the elevation you've climbed. Or

Further

I'm most proud of the elevation I've avoided.

Since the area I live in looks like an egg crate foam pad it's good to learn ways around the hills.  Even at that, many of my exercise routes have returns that take half the time that the out run did.  A lot of my former after work exercise rides look a lot like 12 miles/1500 ft.

After a really brutal climb last month I could hear sirens somewhere back behind me.  I thought oh no, somebody had a heart attack on that climb I just did.  Wrong answer, over dinner I found out it was a girl that lost it on the downhill and did a face plant into a guardrail. I used my brakes on that downhill a little bit.  I was not familiar with the road and it had some sharp curves I'm proud of the fact I made a good call even though I wanted to let it all hang out on that downhill.

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It's all about the climb.  That is where you find your level of determination. :)  

I agree with this. I'm a sucky climber but there's not a hill I won't try.

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

After a really brutal climb last month I could hear sirens somewhere back behind me.  I thought oh no, somebody had a heart attack on that climb I just did.  Wrong answer, over dinner I found out it was a girl that lost it on the downhill and did a face plant into a guardrail. I used my brakes on that downhill a little bit.  I was not familiar with the road and it had some sharp curves I'm proud of the fact I made a good call even though I wanted to let it all hang out on that downhill.

Yikes! I hope she's ok.  Was that on the GOBA ride?  

I prefer the feeling when you reach the crest of the hill and you've put that one in the books.  Going downhill is fun but I am more cautious at 57 than I was at 30.

1 minute ago, Old#7 said:

Was that on the GOBA ride?  

Yes, it was on those hills around that park (my CRS is kicking in and I can't remember the name of the park and I'm too lazy to go dig out GOBA information).  I held my speed under 40 mph on that particular hill.

neither one...steep grades are the only real currency around here

and most of the heavy grades I haven't been able to ride the last 4 or 5 years

even this year with my knee doing reasonable ok (its started getting sore lately :() , I haven't attempted any of the serious action around here this year.

I am definitely more proud of the work I've put in to improve my climbing skills.

That doesn't mean much though - as I get older I am more and more tentative when the road goes downhill.  Which is too bad, because with all the hills I ride, there are plenty of opportunities for Ludicrous Speed.

I like climbing the hills that we have around here.  The descent is fun but the burn is in the climb.  I don't keep track of elevation (my Cateye doesn't do that :)).  I do keep track of max speed on my rides since Cateye does do that.  It really doesn't mean anything - just a number on my chart.

15 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It's all about the climb.  That is where you find your level of determination. :)  

I agree, the effort getting up requires much more determination and resolve than going down quickly.  

I am scared on curvy descents these days.  My top speed going downhill is 58.5 mph, but I don't push it like that very much.

• Heart 1

Certainly stories of high speed descents are more impressive to Joe Noncyclist.  "I made it up Long Hill without stopping and set a new PR" isn't as well received as "I hit 46mph coming down the mountain and overtook a vehicle in the process". 

13 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I like to get it up and I also like going down.  I'm pretty good at both.

That's not what Speed demon says......:whistle:

When cycling, I pay absolutely no attention to the amount I've climbed, but I really do enjoy going down.  I sometimes get grumpy when the winds cause me to work harder going up and then prevent a fast trip down.

I had to pay attention to data when working, but I ride for health and enjoyment without a concern for all of these numbers people quote.