What's the deal with prunes?

AirwickWithCheese

17 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Colon bombs...

I am not buying it, or that any one particular fruit is going to clean everybody out.  Why not just have plums?  The moisture in plums will be much more helpful in pushing things out the back end, I feel.

Blueberries work on me if I haven't had them for a while.  I eat a pint by themselves, and they work their way through relatively quickly

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am not buying it, or that any one particular fruit is going to clean everybody out.  Why not just have plums?  The moisture in plums will be much more helpful in pushing things out the back end, I feel.

Blueberries work on me if I haven't had them for a while.  I eat a pint by themselves, and they work their way through relatively quickly

One word........... kiwi fruit

4 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That doesn't work on me, I will occasionally eat 6 - 10 in a sitting, if they are ripe.  I haven't done that in a few months, though, maybe I will try again as an experiment and report back.  It is possible that it works on me, but I just hadn't noticed.

I think Pineapple is the fruit most likely to work on most people, because of those enzymes contained within.

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Hey, all I know is I can eat regular plums all day without any issue, but two of those nasty little shriveled buggers and I'm running for dump station! :frantics:

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

Hey, all I know is I can eat regular plums all day without any issue, but two of those nasty little shriveled buggers and I'm running for dump station! :frantics:

Like a good wine or beer, it's about the fermentation......

Prunes are well known for their ability to prevent constipation. In addition to providing bulk and decreasing the transit time of fecal matter, thus decreasing the risk of colon cancer and hemorrhoids, prunes' insoluble fiber also provides food for the "friendly" bacteria in the large intestine. When these helpful bacteria ferment prunes' insoluble fiber, they produce a short-chain fatty acid called butyric acid, which serves as the primary fuel for the cells of the large intestine and helps maintain a healthy colon. These helpful bacteria also create two other short-chain fatty acids, propionic and acetic acid, which are used as fuel by the cells of the liver and muscles.

• Heart 1

18 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Colon bombs...

16 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Well, that explains the movement toward the rear.

14 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Prunes.  Official fruit of the U.S. Postal Service.

They really move the mail.

53 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

49 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

44 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That doesn't work on me, I will occasionally eat 6 - 10 in a sitting, if they are ripe.  I haven't done that in a few months, though, maybe I will try again as an experiment and report back.  It is possible that it works on me, but I just hadn't noticed.

I think Pineapple is the fruit most likely to work on most people, because of those enzymes contained within.

39 minutes ago, UglyBob said:

32 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Like a good wine or beer, it's about the fermentation......

Prunes are well known for their ability to prevent constipation. In addition to providing bulk and decreasing the transit time of fecal matter, thus decreasing the risk of colon cancer and hemorrhoids, prunes' insoluble fiber also provides food for the "friendly" bacteria in the large intestine. When these helpful bacteria ferment prunes' insoluble fiber, they produce a short-chain fatty acid called butyric acid, which serves as the primary fuel for the cells of the large intestine and helps maintain a healthy colon. These helpful bacteria also create two other short-chain fatty acids, propionic and acetic acid, which are used as fuel by the cells of the liver and muscles.

You guys want the truth?

SUGAR FREE GUMMI BEARS!

2 hours ago, UglyBob said:

That is weird.  Maybe there is some twisted natural logic at work here, perhaps the density of dehydrated fruit allows the fermenting to be more concentrated?  I can't see where a plum wouldn't just have the same fiber content as a prune, though, this is all very mysterious.

32 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

That is weird.  Maybe there is some twisted natural logic at work here, perhaps the density of dehydrated fruit allows the fermenting to be more concentrated?  I can't see where a plum wouldn't just have the same fiber content as a prune, though, this is all very mysterious.

...it's all the extra California sunshine.  You get that much sunshine in your stomach, it just has to come out somewhere.:)

4 hours ago, UglyBob said:

Sorbitol! Gotta watch out for it in all kinds of sugar free candies.

We actually have a client that specializes in making sugar free candies.  They use xylitol.  Their hard candies are one of the few sugar-free items I can't tell are sugar-free.  Everything they make is targeted at being dental-friendly.

I now despair of this forum. :(

I was brought here specifically in an attempt to raise the tone and despite my many attempts to introduce some high culture it seems I've failed dismally. I have to face it.....most of you do not want to change and delight in discussing such low topics as our natural functions...it's demoralising. I had already given up with Dotman and Page given that I realised that they were a good few furlongs beyond redemption but had hoped to raise up Max......I was wrong....as he took a perverse delight in steering me to this thread so that I could witness the evidence of my failure at first hand. Have to stop....I'm filling up here............

• Heart 1