Silent Heart Attack

BuffJim

4 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I thought it was a Queen song from the '70's, but I guess not.

My doctor thinks I had one. At some point over the last few years.

I go in for a stress echo test tomorrow. That's the one on a treadmill.

Hoping and praying its no big deal.

Good luck with that Jim.  Better to have caught it this way than let it go unknown though.  

• Heart 1

don't tell him that shit, man! Tell him something to ease his mind like "the Queen song was Sheer Heart Attack, so they obviously have their heart attacks mixed up"

or "remember to sandbag when you're on the treadmill"

something like that

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

An EKG at my annual physical. I was thrilled that my A1C was down into the 6-7 range, until I heard this news.

Well whatever it is, make sure you get the low down on everything you can do to repair any damage.

Will the stress test reveal any blockage?

All the best, Jim.

• Heart 1

Many years ago when I was a young lad, maybe mid-30s, I was having occasional chest pain.  My primary care doc just happened to be a cardiologist.  I failed my stress test.  There was a part of the heart that didn't show on the scan, presumed prior attack and dead tissue.  Had a cardiac cath, said my heart was in perfect condition.

The cath was really cool.  I got to watch the whole thing on the monitor.  At one point they gave me an injection, I think a dye.  They said it will make you feel like you are peeing.  It was really weird.

I hope things go well for you too.  I believe you said you wanted to lose weight?  Use this as a wake up call, regardless of the outcome.

• Heart 1

43 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Many years ago when I was a young lad, maybe mid-30s, I was having occasional chest pain.  My primary care doc just happened to be a cardiologist.  I failed my stress test.  There was a part of the heart that didn't show on the scan, presumed prior attack and dead tissue.  Had a cardiac cath, said my heart was in perfect condition.

The cath was really cool.  I got to watch the whole thing on the monitor.  At one point they gave me an injection, I think a dye.  They said it will make you feel like you are peeing.  It was really weird.

I hope things go well for you too.  I believe you said you wanted to lose weight?  Use this as a wake up call, regardless of the outcome.

Yep - lost 20 or 25, would like to lose another 40.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Yep - lost 20 or 25, would like to lose another 40.

That is wicked pissa (where I come from that's a pretty high compliment).

I'm about 70 down from my heaviest.  If you asked me when I was that heavy I'd say it would have been impossible to lose.  It's taken me a long to get here, but it was definitely worth it.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

I thought it was a Queen song from the '70's, but I guess not.

My doctor thinks I had one. At some point over the last few years.

I go in for a stress echo test tomorrow. That's the one on a treadmill.

Hoping and praying its no big deal.

It's why they call it "practicing medicine"

in order to get my hip done, I had to get a clearance from my cardiologist. EKG was first. Frown. Re-take EKG. More frowns.

What's up? It says you've had a heart attack. 

Wouldn't I know? Probably. But you need a stress echo. Right away  

At the end of the stress part, I had to push against the rail to get my HR over 135. 

Doc didn't like the echo either ,  somethings happening at high bpm. Need a heart cath. 

2 weeks later had the heart cath. One branch is 40% blocked.  One sub branch is 70% blocked. If I was a smoker or diabetic it would be an issue.   Just stay on the meds & keep exercising.   

I'm not sure that me wishing you luck is going to help the situation, but good luck anyway.

What are they going to do if they find out you have had a heart attack?  They may want to do a catheter thingy to go in and see the actual damage or look for any possible blockages.  Stents are a wonderful thing, if you need one.   :)

• Heart 1

Test went well. EKG didn't change during exercise. LPN doesn't think I had a heart attack, but my doctor will review and help with next steps if any. Thanks for your support!!  You'll have to try harder to get rid of me. Maybe get me addicted to Pokemongo so I amble into six lanes of traffic. 

• Heart 4

30 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Test went well. EKG didn't change during exercise. LPN doesn't think I had a heart attack, but my doctor will review and help with next steps if any. Thanks for your support!!  You'll have to try harder to get rid of me. Maybe get me addicted to Pokemongo so I amble into six lanes of traffic. 

Re. my practicing medicine comment above. Yep.

Glad your good-to-go. After my heart cath, doc asks "Do you have any questions?"

2Far: Will I be able to play piano tomorrow?

Doc: No

2Far: Am I healthy enough for sex?

Doc: Yes

2Far: See ya.

• Heart 2

53 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

Good to hear.  That's a load off the mind.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I was going to do a parody, "Silent fart attack" yesterday, but it seemed like it might not be the kind of high-class post that you are used to seeing from me, given the circumstances.  If I would have known you were just fine, I would have posted it and I am sure it would have received at least a 2.01.

• Heart 2