Casa Grande Century

az_cyclist

Sunday was the Casa Grande Century, by the Phoenix Metro Bike Club.  I rode this a couple of times solo, and the last 3 times with the Bull Shifters.  It was 38-40 when we started, and the Bulls had 3 groups:  6 or so A riders, 6 B riders (the group I was riding with) and a group of 7 CowShifters, a recently formed group of female Bull Shifters. 

Since I was recovering from the 3 week cold (and 3 week recovery of it) I was not sure how I would be on this ride.  About 15 miles into the ride a headwind kind of came up while I was in the pull.  I had to drop off quicker than I wanted, and could not keep up with the line.  They held up at the next light for me and another guy.  At the first sag, 20 miles in, I took off my glove liners and knee warmers.  It was a bit chilly after that but not bad.   About 5 miles after the sag our paceline had grown to 10-12 riders with  a few riders joining.  The speed got up to 22-23 mph, and I let a gap form.  One of the guys rode up and asked the 1 and 2 riders to drop back to 20.  A mile or 2 of that, plus the fact I think the bagel with peanut butter and jam kicked in.  The pace stayed at 20-21, and I was fine up to the lunch break at 70 miles.  I took my thermal vest off at the 46 mile sag stop.

Pulling into the lunch break I saw our riding average was 18.8.. probably the fastest 70 mile average I ever had.  For lunch we had a choice subway, bbq chicken or pork.  I also took off my wool arm warmers at lunch.

After lunch we had 30 or so miles left.  I had the bad timing to be in the pull when we were going up the only real hill on the route then into a headwind.  I dropped off the paceline again, but caught up to them at the last sag about 5 miles later. 

The last 15 miles were not too bad, except for the rumble strips on the highway.  I am reasonably sure they caused a flat I had with about 5 miles to go.  We all finished together, then adjourned to the McD's in the parking lot for a coke.

We finished with an 18.8 rolling average, and the overall time was not bad (6:25)  I am reasonably sure it is the fastest century I have ever ridden, but it certainly helped to be in a paceline with strong riders.  It was also good experience as I had to work through some times in a ride where I was not feeling the strongest. 

http://www.strava.com/activities/105983570

• Heart 1