I can adjust a derailleur

Dirtyhip

Good for you.  Derailleur adjusting is as much an art as it is a science.  Somewhere along the line I read (and probably memorized) an article that gave many techniques used in the adjustment.  I wish I could find it now as some of the information was gold.  Example:  Adjust the limit screws so that the chain goes on to and off of the extreme cogs at the same speed up or down.

Will you please adjust my rear derailleur on the fattie? When on my largest sprocket, I can't get my chain to go down one. I have to skip it and go two. Once I'm there, I can go back up to the second largest. What would be a good time to stop by the shop so you can adjust it for me?

• Heart 2

if you have a barrel adjust on your rear derailleur, the old trick is to turn it in the direction the chain has trouble travelling in, a quarter turn at a time, until it shifts properly

but yours might also need to have the limit screws checked. Put your chain on the largest cog and verify that the derailleur cage is lined up with that gear. If that is off, the cable tension will never really work out

• Heart 1

I don't know, I guess I never give it much thought and just adjust them.  Never seemed like that big of deal and doesn't take long for me to get them set perfectly, well unless something is bent and you really wouldn't want to see how I fix most of those.  Guess that explains why so many people are always bugging me to adjust theirs.

I should monkey with it a bit to see if I can get lucky and fix it properly. It's the Sram x7 set-up. I noticed yesterday even pushing the shifter lever is kinda tough to make that shift. All other shifts are ok.  I had my regular mechanic guy look at it a while back, and he used the barrel adjuster. He adjusted it while it was on the bike stand. I took it out on the trail, and it was no better. I should take it back to him and tell him to give me my $10 worth he charged me. That was really odd to be charged that much by him. And very odd that it wasn't right. He's pretty much my go-to guy. Ya, maybe I'll mess with it. I need to learn this stuff too.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

My b screw seems to be loosening itself.  I will tighten, and then have to re-tighten again in a few weeks. The chain likes to rub behind one of my pivot points on the frame chainstay.

Loctite Blue

don't accidently get the red. Blue can be loosened. Red is on for good

as a bonus Blue is faster too

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

My b screw seems to be loosening itself.  I will tighten, and then have to re-tighten again in a few weeks. The chain likes to rub behind one of my pivot points on the frame chainstay.

Loctite Blue

• Heart 1