What has happened to all the Mt Washington preparation updates and reports?

Road Runner

I have been riding a lot of hills.  Also still losing weight.  Plus lots of steps on the stair master.  Core work at the gym.  Not sure if there are hills where I'll be this week.  Then I come back for a week off at home, more hills at home, then the Mt Washington century.  Shortly after that I will get a new chainring for the front, probably a 22.  I already have a 36 in the back.

If all this does not get me to the top, I'd never be able to make it.

Figured people weren't interested, so I only joke about it now.

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I have been riding a lot of hills.  Also still losing weight.  Plus lots of steps on the stair master.  Core work at the gym.  Not sure if there are hills where I'll be this week.  Then I come back for a week off at home, more hills at home, then the Mt Washington century.  Shortly after that I will get a new chainring for the front, probably a 22.  I already have a 36 in the back.

Actually, we are all interested in this.  It was just the running that we weren't interested in, as cool as that was.

Can you find a 20 for the front and a 42 for the back?  

42 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Hey, it was a rhetorical question.

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Actually, we are all interested in this.  It was just the running that we weren't interested in, as cool as that was.

I don't think he'll need to go any lower than 22/36.  That's the lowest gear on my MTB and it's good for pretty much any grade that doesn't tip the bike over backwards.  Mt Washington is steep for a road, but I don't think it's that steep.

51 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yikes

21 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

I don't think he'll need to go any lower than 22/36.  That's the lowest gear on my MTB and it's good for pretty much any grade that doesn't tip the bike over backwards.  Mt Washington is steep for a road, but I don't think it's that steep.

What he said.  I currently have a 34 in the front and thought that the 34/36 might be enough.  I could ride 6% all day in that.  I would not even use the big cogs.  8% I might use the 3rd biggest.  Past that I'll be in the next to biggest.  I am trying to stay out of the 34 for now so I can get stronger.  I can climb 12 and 14% with the 34 / 28 (or so) combo, but these are short hills.  Mt Washington averages 12% for 7 miles.  The run almost killed me.  I agree I can't get anything more significant than a 22 / 36 otherwise I'll be flipping the bike over all up the hill.

• Heart 1

12% is steep, but it has sections of over 20%

1 in 5 and 1 in 4 in old money get your attention

your 34/36 is a pretty good gear, though. 1 to 1 on the road will get you over anything, so anything better than that is real good for road bikes

1 minute ago, Nate said:

12% is steep, but it has sections of over 20%

1 in 5 and 1 in 4 in old money get your attention

your 34/36 is a pretty good gear, though. 1 to 1 on the road will get you over anything, so anything better than that is real good for road bikes

I ran it last month.  It's pretty much 12% and steady.  There is a stretch about a mile or so long that I read is closer to 18%.  The 20+% part they save for the very end and it's brutal.

There are a couple of "flat" sections, and I suspect they are relatively flat, probably 6% or so, but they feel flat.  They are very short.

What hurts is there is really no break, it goes up for 7.6 miles.  My heart rate will hit 160, maybe 170, almost as soon as I start and it will stay there until I get to the top or die.

Here is the profile from the run I did, it felt steeper than this when you were on it.

Garmin Connect.png

the trick is to stay within yourself. Don't worry about other riders, just ride your pace. Once you go over your LT, you are toast because , as you said, there's no real beak from the double digit grades

and you ran it, so you know what's up the road

are you running a triple or a compact crank?

19 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Do you think you will ride it faster than you ran?

I am sad about the run.  I ran almost 100% of the first two miles, then it quickly tapered off to more walking than running.  I did that in 2:17.  Not too shabby for an old overweight guy.  I hope to ride in in less than 2, but I will be happy to finish it.

18 minutes ago, Nate said:

are you running a triple or a compact crank?

I currently have a 50/34.  The LBS will be putting a new crank on it, possibly from a triple or possible a mt bike crank.  Either way I will get down to a 22.

well, a 22x36 will be enough to ride up a wall

you know 5 miles and hour is 12 minute miles

you average 5 mph, and you are up in an hour 15 minutes or so

its hard to keep a bike upright at less than 5 mph

even at 4 mph, that is 15 minute miles and has you up in an hour 45 minutes and change

if you stay on the bike, you will break 2 hours

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Nate said:

you average 5 mph, and you are up in an hour 15 minutes or so

Not likely for me.

• Thomas Danielson 0:49:24 (2002)  MWARBH
  • Jeannie Longo 0:58:14 (2000) MWARBH
  • A record is a record no matter which race – Newton’s Revenge or Mt. Washington Auto Road Bicycle Hillclimb
AGE FEMALE TIME   MALE TIME
19 & < Rachel Chambers (12) MWARBH 1:20:52   Chad Young (99) NR 0:55:54
20-34 Kimberly Bruckner (99) MWARBH 1:03:50   Thomas Danielson (02) MWARBH 0:49:24
35-39 Veronique Fortin (15) MWARBH 1:05:58   Eneas Freyre (15) MWARBH 0:53:00
40-44 Jeannie Longo (00) MWARBH 0:58:14   Eric Follen (15) MWARBH 0:54:00
45-49 Marti Shea (12) MWARBH 1:03:14   David “Tinker” Juarez (10) MWARBH 0:58:08
50-54 Marti Shea (14) MWARBH 1:06:01   Ned Overend (06) MWARBH 0:54:41
55-59 Mary Hynes Johanson (12) MWARBH 1:17:35   Ned Overend (11) 55:03
60-64 Judy Caron (10) MWARBH 1:39:01   George Pawle (12) MWARBH 1:10:10
65-69 Maggie Solomon (99) MWARBH 1:55:27   Mark McCarthy (15) 1:09:26
70-74 Ruth Lazarus (96) MWARBH 2:16:23   Kenneth Cestone (08) MWARBH 1:26:17
75-79       Kenneth Cestone (13) NR 1:29:47
80 & >       Bill Hawkes (02) MWARBH 2:19:45

Tandem  John Bayley & Kristen Gohr (10) 1:06:32 NR    Unicycle/One-wheel Jonathan Sauerbrey (12) 1:39:33 NR

54 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

You're mean, no wonder no one likes you.  Even Nate is being nice to me in this thread.

:(

I'm leaving your 2bit forum. 

I gave up sugar, I can certainly give up this wasteland. 

@Kirby  you can find me on the Love Forum. ( and please find me on the Love Forum)    :wub:

2 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

@Kirby  you can find me on the Love Forum. ( and please find me on the Love Forum)    :wub:

hey,hey ,...HEY now...

easy, cheese

c'mon, the fuck, you know man?

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Are you drinking sherry already? 

how the hell do you maintain nearly a 50% like to post ratio with stuff like this?

you defy mathematics

I have my guys working the numbers on this like crazy. You ever read "MoneyBall"? My guys are developing whole systems of analytics but none of our models generate like ratios like that

I just don't get it

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I am sad about the run.  I ran almost 100% of the first two miles, then it quickly tapered off to more walking than running.  I did that in 2:17.  Not too shabby for an old overweight guy.  I hope to ride in in less than 2, but I will be happy to finish it.

I currently have a 50/34.  The LBS will be putting a new crank on it, possibly from a triple or possible a mt bike crank.  Either way I will get down to a 22.

Ya know, I backpacked up that hill 40 some years ago, it took a week and involved a few detours. I still remember that week as a high point of my life.

People still put bumper stickers on their cars bragging that the car climbed Mt Washington.  

You made it up in 2 hours and a few minutes. There is nothing to be sad about. 

• Heart 2

7 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Don't go:runcirclsmiley:

• Heart 1