I don't know how you people in the Midwest do it.

Dottleshead

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

It's true the politics suck.  When I say I like the Orlando area you have to realize that I avoid the south west quarter like the plague.  If you do that and avoid most of the obvious tourist areas there are a lot of things to do.  I too like Ocala, but I couldn't tell Dots that because it's the home of the Garlits Museum.

We came very close to buying a house in or around Titusville a couple of years ago.  Remember this would be a house in red neck country where the neighbors have a car up on blocks in the back yard and a trailer in the front.  :P  My kind of people.  Too many of them are getting squeezed out by the wealthy.

It is a state clearly divided by the have and have-nots now.  The idle rich and the destitute. Lets not forget the Quebecers too!  Maybe that is why I don't like it. :)  

31 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It is a state clearly divided by the have and have-nots now.  The idle rich and the destitute. Lets not forget the Quebecers too!  Maybe that is why I don't like it. :)  

I guess most of my memories are based on the two longish times I lived in Florida.  The first was in the 60's and it was a different world back then.  Big money was confined to relatively few areas like Miami Beach east of Indian Creek or maybe up in Boca Raton.  The rich were more transient back then but they would soon begin to buy Florida.

The second time I lived there for any length of time was in the latter 90s and I avoided tourists and hung out with the factory workers and a couple of Vietnamese friends.  Of course I'm as likely to be impressed by a comic book store as a glitzy ride.

Womaxx and I once spent a good part of one day during non tourist season hanging out at Midway Airboat Rides talking to boat drivers and mechanics and playing with baby alligators.  In several hours only about 6 tourists stopped.  We found one nature trail where we could drive in on a one lane road just above the St Johns river.  The road was 7 miles long and it took us almost 2 hours to explore and take pictures.  2 car loads of tourists passed us during those 2 hours at about 30, windows closed and air on.  I don't think they saw much of anything.

• Heart 1

41 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

It is a state clearly divided by the have and have-nots now.

42 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

The idle rich and the destitute.

15 minutes ago, FX_James_7.9 said:

most people living in trailers off from social security, trying to avoid winters are hardly idle rich.

Yes, I realize I write Canadian and you read American but the commonality of language still suggests your examples would fit the "have nots" or "destitute" I also mentioned. :)  

In the late 80's work took me to Florida a few times. I was fascinated by the Everglades, but the mosquitoes were too much for me. Took an airboat ride, but the guy just roared around for awhile, way too fast to see anything. Damn are those things loud. 

1 hour ago, FX_James_7.9 said:

it's not like it's that bad down there in 55 plus communities either. seems like you're just trying find a reason to bitch

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

..or you are looking for a reason to be the same old you.  

...I'm gonna go with this one.  Historically, it has more going for it.:)

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, maddmaxx said:

I guess most of my memories are based on the two longish times I lived in Florida.  The first was in the 60's and it was a different world back then.  Big money was confined to relatively few areas like Miami Beach east of Indian Creek or maybe up in Boca Raton.  The rich were more transient back then but they would soon begin to buy Florida.

...60's Florida was nothing short of awesome.  Sanibel island, before they built that causeway bridge and all the condominiums that followed, was this great, secluded spot where everyone still drank beer at the VFW hall, the sand fleas and salt water mosquitoes ruled the beach after dark, and you could go out in the light of the full moon nights and watch the horseshoe crabs mating on the sandbars in the shallow surf.

I went back some years later in the 80's, and was totally bummed by what had happened.:(

3 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

...60's Florida was nothing short of awesome.  Sanibel island, before they built that causeway bridge and all the condominiums that followed, was this great, secluded spot where everyone still drank beer at the VFW hall, the sand fleas and salt water mosquitoes ruled the beach after dark, and you could go out in the light of the full moon nights and watch the horseshoe crabs mating on the sandbars in the shallow surf.

I went back some years later in the 80's, and was totally bummed by what had happened.:(

With yer fireman's pension would you be one of Wilbur's "haves" or "have nots"?

51 minutes ago, FX_James_7.9 said:

With yer fireman's pension would you be one of Wilbur's "haves" or "have nots"?

..if you are trolling the same guy in two forums at the same time, does that make you bisexual ? Why so hostile tonight, Archie ?  Did your dog die ?

I just returned from visiting my friend who is up visiting his mom from Sacramento.  His old man lives in Auburn and Reno.  He says he hates it there and can't wait to move back.  Even his wife -- who mainly lived in Nevada City can't wait to leave.  I'm not going to say they referred to Sacramento as the armpit of California because that'd be just wrong.  But their son says California sucks.

I've been trying to tell you that Paige.

2 hours ago, dotman17 said:

I just returned from visiting my friend who is up visiting his mom from Sacramento.  His old man lives in Auburn and Reno.  He says he hates it there and can't wait to move back.  Even his wife -- who mainly lived in Nevada City can't wait to leave.  I'm not going to say they referred to Sacramento as the armpit of California because that'd be just wrong.  But their son says California sucks.

I've been trying to tell you that Paige.

...Auburn, Reno, and Nevada City are all militia country.  Full of gunz, rednecks, PU trucks, and illegal pot grows.  If I lived there I'd probably think California sucked too.

6 hours ago, dotman17 said:

Dude, those stabbings at your state capitol were pretty sweet.

...and all those white power guys drove down from the foothills.

6 hours ago, dotman17 said:

...Auburn is like 20 minutes from you.

...more like 30 minutes.  And it turns out that's about all the distance you need on a daily living basis. :) It's not like they commute down here regularly for work, or to eat in the Vietnamese restaurants.. OUIr various ethnic gangs here in the Big Tomato keep everything on the up and up.

A quick selection of 11s (elevens, the second of 6 meals a day) in Kuala Lumpur.  Not my pics as I was there to eat, not take pictures. Tables are outside or under a steel roof with tarps for walls.  Some of the best food I ever had but not exactly ok by FDA code and hard to find in either the midwest or costal regions of this country.

dsc09192.jpgdsc09203.jpgdsc09194.jpg

19 minutes ago, smudge said:

I have no qualms with that being difficult to find in the Midwest.

You have to taste it to realize that beauty is not always what you see. Besides, millions (billions?) of people live like this and don't die.  

The food was really good, as good as some of the high dollar restaurants we ate in, just not presented with the same visual appeal.  Oh, they are civilized enough to give you a fork if you ask.  :P

Just now, FX_James_7.9 said:

you brought up this person as an example of someone who is healthy and eats well. I suppose you're a big fan of man Vs Food also.

...I think I said it was a good read.....it is, Mabel.

By closing ourselves off from the bounties of nature, we become failed omnivores. We let down the omnivore team. God tells us in the Book of Genesis, right after Noah's flood, to eat everything under the sun. Those who ignore his instructions are no better than godless heathens.

The more I contemplated food phobias, the more I became convinced that people who habitually avoid certifiably delicious foods are at least as troubled as people who avoid sex, or take no pleasure from it, except that the latter will probably seek psychiatric help, while food phobics rationalize their problem in the name of genetic inheritance, allergy, vegetarianism, matters of taste, nutrition, food safety, obesity, or a sensitive nature. The varieties of neurotic food avoidance would fill several volumes, but milk is a good place to start.

Overnight, everybody you meet has become lactose intolerant. It is the chic food fear of the moment. But the truth is that very, very few of us are so seriously afflicted that we cannot drink even a whole glass of milk a day without ill effects. I know several people who have given up cheese to avoid lactose. But fermented cheeses contain no lactose! Lactose is the sugar found in milk; 98 percent of it is drained off with the whey (cheese is made from the curds), and the other 2 percent is quickly consumed by lactic-acid bacteria in the act of fermentation.

Three more examples: People rid their diet of salt (and their food of flavor) to avoid high blood pressure and countless imagined ills. But no more than 8 percent of the population is sensitive to salt. Only saturated fat, mainly from animals, has ever been shown to cause heart disease or cancer, yet nutrition writers and Nabisco get rich pandering to the fear of eating any fat at all. The hyperactivity syndrome supposedly caused by white sugar has never, ever, been verified--and not for lack of trying. In the famous New Haven study, it was the presence of the parents, not the presence of white sugar, that was causing the problem; most of the kids calmed down when their parents left the room.*

I cannot figure out why, but the atmosphere in America today rewards this sort of self-deception. Fear and suspicion of food have become the norm. Convivial dinners have nearly disappeared and with them the sense of festivity and exchange, of community and sacrament. People should be deeply ashamed of the irrational food phobias that keep them from sharing food with each other. Instead, they have become proud and isolated, arrogant and aggressively misinformed.

...and you look like Archie from the comic books.  Each of us has an appearance.  Many of us are interested in more. For you to flash one photo of the guy here that you pulled off the web and claim to know his health history is an excellent example of why nobody takes you seriously.  nttawwt