Another day, another project restoration goes on the road.

Page Turner

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

How do you keep your drive trains so clean?

...all the photos I post (and most of the bike photos I take) are right after a complete dismantling, frame alignment check, and reassembly with fresh grease and consumables like tyres , tape, brake blocks, and cables.  While the drive train components are apart, they fit nicely into one of these, from Harbor Freight.  I usually replace the chains, because the new ones from KMC shift better and are cheap.

Oh yeah, I also usually spend 2-4 hours on the wheels.  Old bike wheels almost always need considerable work, and often need to be rebuilt entirely from the hubs out.:) The wheels on that bike are more impressive than what I did to the drive train, but you can't see it in a picture. It only shows up when you ride the bike.

95563_zzz_500.jpg

• Heart 1

I got really tired of having to clean the grit and crud from my transmission (and the bikes of my friends also) so I switched from using oil to a lube which doesn't attract dirt at all. The difference has been marked and the lubing qualities have remained the same so I recommend it to you. The firm is a Scottish one with a long history of motorbike lubrication using a mechanical device but now they are promoting this lube for bikes.

http://www.scottoiler.com/us/products/ultimatebikesolution.html

Again....and I mention this merely to take everyone's attention from Page's bike....I've been forced to exchange the short-cage Shimano 105 rear der which was on my Moulton Esprit with a medium cage one . I had modified the cassette by fitting larger cogs (10-34t) but found the gear changing sloppy as the wrap-around was insufficient. With a medium cage and a 53/39 chain-set along with 17" wheels it should be within capacity while giving me low enough gears.....if not I'm going to shoot myself.