Ginormous adventure thread

Chris...

15 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

My brother is making his first visit to Ireland today. If you see Paul, please give him my greetings. You'll recognize him cause he's just like me, but not as funny.

Of course he's not as funny, he's from Illinois (Champaign).

Well we live in Effingham Illinois so we're almost neighbors

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

As a non-drinker, I don't think I would fit in in Ireland.   :(

That only matters if you want to.

I seldom go to pubs here (Ireland) and my drinking is mostly confined to wine with meals. Yes there is a big culture of drink but it is possible to opt out and I personally know a few who have completely. 

The laws aren't that different to any place else it's just that when everyone else ignores them cyclists do to. Pedestrians don't wait for green lights and on busy roads with two way traffic will cross to the centre and stand  in the middle waiting for a gap in traffic. You can always spot foreign visitors because they're the ones left on the kerb when all the Irish are across the street. Cars are parked on double yellow lines, on cycle lanes and footpaths. Few cars actually stop behind the stop line at traffic lights and where lights that show green to go ahead but red for turning to allow pedestrians cross often the red light  is ignored.

In this environment even responsible cyclists will regularly break the rules just to survive, myself included.