Mr. Mooseknuckle to the Dawes phone

TrentonMakes

5 minutes ago, TrentonStrong said:

Actually I didn't expect you'd have to listen - whether I listen to XPN or The Current I probably hear it once a day.  I figured you'd already be familiar.

OK, this is embarrassing.  I did just hear it on xpn at 4:52.  But I didn't really recognize it.  Bruce Warren said xpn loves Dawes, and I due only once in a while.

I once complained to Bruce aboot xpn playing shallow cuts (remember that Johnny A song from a few years ago?).  He didn't like that.  :whistle::D

I shall now attempt to see if I can dredge up a Dawes post I might have made in the past. :)

Just now, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

OK, this is embarrassing.  I did just hear it on xpn at 4:52.  Bruce Warren said xpn loves Dawes, and I due only once in a while.

I once complained to Bruce aboot xpn playing shallow cuts (remember that Johnny A song from a few years ago?).  He didn't like that.  :whistle:

I heard it then as well - that's what made me think of it.  I thought you might be a Dawes fan.

That has long been my complaint about XPN, taking one song from an album and beating the hell out of it.  I've been listening to The Current (Minneapolis, radio home of XPN alum Jim McGuinn) long enough now to experience the same thing.

The harmonies in Dawes "When My Time Comes" were a knockout - then that "Little Bit Of Everything" was OK.  This I find bland and incredibly boring - it's a quick channel change now.

Just now, TrentonStrong said:

I heard it then as well - that's what made me think of it.  I thought you might be a Dawes fan.

That has long been my complaint about XPN, taking one song from an album and beating the hell out of it.  I've been listening to The Current (Minneapolis, radio home of XPN alum Jim McGuinn) long enough now to experience the same thing.

The harmonies in Dawes "When My Time Comes" were a knockout - then that "Little Bit Of Everything" was OK.  This I find bland and incredibly boring - it's a quick channel change now.

Yup - I remember having been very impressed by some of their earlier stuff - great harmonies like you say.  Sadly, I couldn't find any old Dawes posts from me.  Sometimes I might just post a video with no searchable text.

In other NPR news, I recently realised that WFUV is rebroadcast on WNYE at 91.5, but the native signal is on 90.7, which is much clearer for me in Central and North Jersey.  PLUS, it has the radio data which shows you the song and artist, which I was miffed was never on 91.5.  But best of all, 91.5 has talk in the afternoon, but 90.7 has music. :)

1 minute ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

In other NPR news, I recently realised that WFUV is rebroadcast on WNYE at 91.5, but the native signal is on 90.7, which is much clearer for me in Central and North Jersey.  PLUS, it has the radio data which shows you the song and artist, which I was miffed was never on 91.5.  But best of all, 91.5 has talk in the afternoon, but 90.7 has music. :)

I didn't know that.  91.5 used to broadcast KEXPs (Seattle) signal  in the mornings, and those were good times.  I also liked WFUV (including Alisa Ali) but I thought it was gone.  I will have to give 90.7 a try.  

7 minutes ago, TrentonStrong said:

I didn't know that.  91.5 used to broadcast KEXPs (Seattle) signal  in the mornings, and those were good times.  I also liked WFUV (including Alisa Ali) but I thought it was gone.  I will have to give 90.7 a try.  

AFAIK they have always had WFUV in the morning, but I think Alisa Ali changed time slots.

Here we go. 

http://www.wfuv.org/content/farewell-alternate-side

So what do you think of Kristen Kurtis?  She is not much of a talker.  I can list from 5 to 6 AM with her really only talking around 6 AM and maybe a touch at 5:30.  Not complaining aboot more music though. :)

• 2 years later...

Yeah, the guitar sounds pretty good but overall I'm still underwhelmed by this band, aside from that one song.

I kind of feel the same way about Kurt Vile  - I love "Wakin On A Pretty Day" but I haven't heard anything else of his that I'd like to hear again.  That "Pretty Pimpin" song is like nails on a chalkboard to me (something tells me you have expressed an affinity for the song so I say this at the risk of offending)

1 minute ago, TrentonMakes said:

Yeah, the guitar sounds pretty good but overall I'm still underwhelmed by this band, aside from that one song.

I kind of feel the same way about Kurt Vile  - I love "Wakin On A Pretty Day" but I haven't heard anything else of his that I'd like to hear again.  That "Pretty Pimpin" song is like nails on a chalkboard to me (something tells me you have expressed an affinity for the song so I say this at the risk of offending)

I agree the Pimpin' song doesn't age real well.  I like Kurt's stuff in general, and I really liked the KEXP Youtube of him.  I liked his stuff with Courtney Barnett too.

• Heart 1