Bikesdirect

The_Karen_Cooper_Incident

I bought a Windsor Tourist touring bike for $600 from them a couple of years ago. It was a good value and I've had no trouble with it. It helps that I knew enough to assemble the bike. Even that wasn't all that difficult. 

I heard that you have to plan to entirely rebuild anything you get from there, but that they are solid other than that.

I heard that you have to plan to entirely rebuild anything you get from there, but that they are solid other than that.

Nope. I attached the handlebars, brakes, pedals, plus a few other small items and it was ready to ride. I did check for things being loose, but didn't find anything. Later on I put on clipless pedals, a different seat, and a taller quill stem so that it would fit me better.

The only problem I've had with the bike was a couple of broke spokes when a pretty solid stick jumped up into my wheel.

I've ridden the Tourist well over 1K miles including the entire KATY Trail twice. I also use it as my night bike with all the reflectors in place and a bunch of lights. I also use it when there could be ice or snow as the 700x35 tires are better than 700x25s.

The damned thing is heavy. Ready to ride without water bottles, it's just under 30 lbs. 

Nope. I attached the handlebars, brakes, pedals, plus a few other small items and it was ready to ride. I did check for things being loose, but didn't find anything. Later on I put on clipless pedals, a different seat, and a taller quill stem so that it would fit me better.

The damned thing is heavy. Ready to ride without water bottles, it's just under 30 lbs. 

Wow, that is chunk-style!

Any, my information is a few years old, sounds like they straightened up their builds since then.

I thought BD bikes were the devil and that one had to have a priest and a mechanic on hand prior to opening the box.

I keed.  I yam a keeder.

I would be tempted to try a BD bike if and when I replace my trusty old Trek 8000.  But like others, I have the tools and know how to most things on a bike.