I went camping this weekend, and I have some photos

Randomguy

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

You could have bought a new pair of shoes.  They have a ton of shops there.

I can not imagine being there and not riding.  Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Not really.  The shops all ask MSRP for everything, plus I require specifically narrow Sidi shoes in an actual narrow size; I don't have wide boat-feet like lots of people do, apparently.  Nobody is going to have those in Moab, and I don't have $400 to spend on shoes that don't fit at all.

I thought about buying some platform pedals just to get a ride in, and thought I would end up killing myself by bouncing off the bike, so I didn't.  Plus, I didn't know if I would be able to ride at all anyway.

8 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Not really.  The shops all ask MSRP for everything, plus I require specifically narrow Sidi shoes in an actual narrow size; I don't have wide boat-feet like lots of people do, apparently.  Nobody is going to have those in Moab, and I don't have $400 to spend on shoes that don't fit at all.

I thought about buying some platform pedals just to get a ride in, and thought I would end up killing myself by bouncing off the bike, so I didn't.  Plus, I didn't know if I would be able to ride at all anyway.

Understood.  

Did you hike Arches?  Where was your camp?  

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Understood.  

Did you hike Arches?  Where was your camp?  

Off of Gemini Bridges Road, up some seriously steep and rocky stuff.  The road continued to form a loop off of the gentle 313 dirt road.  That is really built-up, trail-wise, so many trails that just didn't exist when I went there frequently.

Anyway, simply beautiful site.  The only problem with that was that is was a bitch to get into town because of the rocky descent or the longer loop to 191.  Perfect if you don't need to bounce to City Market for anything, though.  This picture is from the road up to the site:

IMG_2106.JPG

• Heart 2

10 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Fabulous pictures!  How do the camping arrangements work?  Did you have to register or did you just set up the tent where you liked?

It was BLM land, just pull in and it is yours.  We were lucky to score it on a Friday around 6pm, but not many folks know that that area exists, people usually just think of the mainstream camping areas.  Like I said, it is also someplace you aren't getting to unless you have a 4 wheel drive vehicle, so that will dissuade the less hardy from getting to the site even if they know about it.

Nice shots, I'm glad you had fun any way!   Before I replaced my Mtn shoes I had silver/black Shimano road and mtn shoes.  I had packed up to go on a ride on more than one occasion with the wrong shoes.... .  Yeah you have a saddle sore for sure. They are like a little zit but can get quiet large and are very painful.  I've had them before too and back in my racing days I actually had to lance one and drain it as it got so big...  Frankie Andreu once cut a chunk out of his saddle so he could continue to ride the TDF with a saddle sore.    The little buggers can put a hurt on ya. 

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Before I replaced my Mtn shoes I had silver/black Shimano road and mtn shoes.  I had packed up to go on a ride on more than one occasion with the wrong shoes....

Same here, Sidi Dominator and Genius (how ironic that I brought my genius shoes) in 43.5 narrow, both look identical except for the soles.  

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Same here, Sidi Dominator and Genius (how ironic that I brought my genius shoes) in 43.5 narrow, both look identical except for the soles.  

And if you are like me you have them on a shelf and from the back they are identical.  I have white/black Giro mtn shoes so it's easier to tell them apart now... 

2 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

And if you are like me you have them on a shelf and from the back they are identical.  I have white/black Giro mtn shoes so it's easier to tell them apart now... 

They are on a shelf indeed.  If Sidi would see fit to produce the narrow version in any damn color other than black, I would find a way to get them.  I am sick of black cycling shoes, which I have had exclusively for 20+ years.

Screw you, Sidi!

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

They are on a shelf indeed.  If Sidi would see fit to produce the narrow version in any damn color other than black, I would find a way to get them.  I am sick of black cycling shoes, which I have had exclusively for 20+ years.

Screw you, Sidi!

Maybe paint a white dot or such on one pair so you can more easily discern which is which.  Not only did I grab the wrong shoes several times I often picked up the wrong shoe, felt the heft or lack of heft and said dayum wrong shoes...  The Mtn shoes were considerably heavier due to the lugs which I often noticed before ever really looking at them closely.