Politics and Religion

Square Wheels

2 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I personally don't agree with it but whatever.

Thank you, I respect your opinion.

Look up two posts, I made an offer that I will adhere to.  I suspect there could be a ton of traffic to a politics site, I would want a hands off approach to it.  I will transfer all of the posts, get a few good mods and check in once in awhile.

So religion, politics are not allowed.  What about the sexist posts?

There are some posts that get on here that are questionable.  

Personally, I am against censorship. It is my opinion that we can talk about things like adults, so long as there are no insults or personal attacks, name calling etc.  If you want want to censor things, why not the degrading posts as well?  To leave those and censor politics and religion seems quite hypocritical.

• Heart 2

3 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I'll make a concession, maybe this will work.

If you can suggest a viable URL that is available, I will buy it, I will but another copy of the software, and I will move all of the P&R posts to the new site.  P&R will still be prohibited here.

How does this sound?

With the internet a veritable home for political discussion of all types, why do you feel the obligation to start another site at your own expense?  :huh:

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

So religion, politics are not allowed.  What about the sexist posts?

There are some posts that get on here that are questionable.  

Personally, I am against censorship. It is my opinion that we can talk about things like adults, so long as there are no insults or personal attacks, name calling etc.  If you want want to censor things, why not the degrading posts as well?  To leave those and censor politics and religion seems quite hypocritical.

These are good points.  We've talked a few times about this, in particular the bikini thread.  I suspect that may fall victim too.

I tried to have a separate section for "sexist" posts, but was quickly told that was not too happen.  I have found more people have contact me about political / religious posts and said they are leaving than people have about sexist posts.

Just now, Road Runner said:

With the internet a veritable home for political discussion of all types, why do you feel the obligation to start another site at your own expense?  :huh:

I like to be fair.

9 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I'll make a concession, maybe this will work.

If you can suggest a viable URL that is available, I will buy it, I will but another copy of the software, and I will move all of the P&R posts to the new site.  P&R will still be prohibited here.

How does this sound?

I'm not sure that this idea would work.

Look, this is a nice place to be and is inhabited for the most part by very nice people who offer mutual support in a way that's heart-warming.

It's attractive to most people for just that reason and P&R provided a welcome break from all that niceness and the chance to involve others active in the forum in a more lively and yes...sometimes rude and insulting discussion...but screened from public view.

I think your offer is an extremely generous one and does you great credit...but I'm afraid it wouldn't work for the reason above.

5 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I have found more people have contact me about political / religious posts and said they are leaving than people have about sexist posts.

I find this astonishing. They actually go to all the trouble of asking for the password and signing in before they complain and threaten to leave....are they real?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, onbike1939 said:

I find this astonishing. They actually go to all the trouble of asking for the password and signing in before they complain and threaten to leave....are they real?

Not quite.  The password has been publicly posted for a while now, it used to be on request.  Now it's easy for anyone to get in.

It's more the posts that spill into the regular sections, and the people who ruin entire threads by turning what was previously innocent into a political rant.  I am to blame for this, instead of warning the poster and hiding the single post, I failed to warn the poster and simply moved the entire post.

I am not innocent in this.

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

You are more than fair.  You started this forum at your own expense and for the benefit of people to have a welcoming atmosphere to come out and play.  You are our benefactor.  We owe you much.  You owe us nothing.

I don't know.  I'm sure he owes me a burrito.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Not quite.  The password has been publicly posted for a while now, it used to be on request.  Now it's easy for anyone to get in.

It's more the posts that spill into the regular sections, and the people who ruin entire threads by turning what was previously innocent into a political rant.  I am to blame for this, instead of warning the poster and hiding the single post, I failed to warn the poster and simply moved the entire post.

And this is caused by having a P&R  sub-forum?

I'm now bewildered.....these people that post political posts in regular threads...are they those that post in P&R? If so I'm unaware of this.

12 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

These are good points.  We've talked a few times about this, in particular the bikini thread.  I suspect that may fall victim too.

I tried to have a separate section for "sexist" posts, but was quickly told that was not too happen.  I have found more people have contact me about political / religious posts and said they are leaving than people have about sexist posts.

I like to be fair.

Not surprising.  This forum is mostly men.  The few women that are here don't make it an issue.  The women that are on here are quite chill.

The ignore feature works quite well. Now that I figured out how to use it correctly, all is well. 

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I don't see why this forum needs to support this in any way.  Besides, as RJM stated, lots of places on Facebook for that kind of discourse.

My goodness that's a bit rich and especially coming from yourself. You do tend to post some things on a public forum that many would find offensive given their sexual content and surely you're aware of this. What's posted on P&R is at least password protected from the public gaze.

• Heart 1

My goodness that's a bit rich and especially coming from yourself. You do tend to post some things on a public forum that many would find offensive given their sexual content and surely you're aware of this. What's posted on P&R is at least password protected from the public gaze.

Hey, you bring up a good idea.  Can we get a bikini password protected area??

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Not surprising.  This forum is mostly men.  The few women that are here don't make it an issue.  The women that are on here are quite chill.

The ignore feature works quite well. Now that I figured out how to use it correctly, all is well. 

You women are chill.  And awesome.  But not awesome because you are chill... though that doesn't hurt.  You're awesome because you tolerate me -- and well and onbike.  And RG. And Paige.  Paige needs lovin' too.

10 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Just about any post can be offensive to someone, if they are so inclined.  My posts are meant to be fun and not hateful or malicious.  Much of P & R is the latter.  I see no obligation of any cycling/social forum to support a place where political vitriol is the norm.   

• Heart 4

2 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Innocence lost, innocence reborn, innocence lost again...it is the way of life.

Nobody is totally innocent, none totally guilty.

15 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I like how he offends me, it makes me feel all tingly and dirty.

12 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

And RG. And Paige.  Paige needs lovin' too.

I don't need lovin'???  I assure you, sir, that I am not a robot!

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Just about any post can be offensive to someone, if they are so inclined.  My posts are meant to be fun and not hateful or malicious.  Much of P & R is the latter.  I see no obligation of any cycling/social forum to support a place where political vitriol is the norm.   

I suppose they would seem so to one unused to these posters who have known each other for years and are accustomed to this type of exchange. However if it offends then why enter the sub-forum?

I'm sure that your posts are meant to be fun and I'm not easily offended at all....that said I'm astounded at the amount of leeway you're given...perhaps a password screened section would be appropriate. :flirtyeyess:

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Just about everything IS offensive to some people who like to be offended.  Every Tom, Dick, and Harry has some bug up their ass about really nothing, and those are the people to ban.  BAN, I TELL YOU, BAN!  BURN THE WITCH, BURN HER!

This is election season, and political buttclowns are up in arms, and making everyone else sick of it.  It will calm down after some n'er do well is elected.

• Heart 1

I suppose they would seem so to one unused to these posters who have known each other for years and are unaccustomed to this type of exchange. However if it offends then why enter the sub-forum?

I'm sure that your posts are meant to be fun and I'm not easily offended at all....that said I'm astounded at the amount of leeway you're given...perhaps a password screened section would be appropriate. :flirtyeyess:

But that's just it, not everyone is from BF P&R where apparently belittling people for disagreeing with you must be the norm.  I used to not mind the P&R section here, but anymore, it wasn't worth even looking at as I knew I was just going to get called names for disagreeing with someone as apposed to trying to have a reasonable discussion.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

But that's just it, not everyone is from BF P&R where apparently belittling people for disagreeing with you must be the norm.  I used to not mind the P&R section here, but anymore, it wasn't worth even looking at as I knew I was just going to get called names for disagreeing with someone as apposed to trying to have a reasonable discussion.

It does tend to happen in every P&R forum I'm aware of but is certainly discouraged and it would be great if "reasonable discussion" was the norm. However things can become heated and especially at this time of the US election cycle where these forums mirror the mood of the country.

Personally I pride myself upon being the perfect gentleman even when being provoked....and I am often provoked. :)

It does tend to happen in every P&R forum I'm aware of but is certainly discouraged and it would be great if "reasonable discussion" was the norm. However things can become heated and especially at this time of the US election cycle where these forums mirror the mood of the country.

Personally I pride myself upon being the perfect gentleman even when being provoked....and I am often provoked. :)

Screw you!

2 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

...I can only assume what pushed it over the edge was me, when I posted that video recording of Robert Service reciting "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" in his heavily Scots accented voice.:(

Just now, Randomguy said:

Screw you!

I remain calm and collected and am radiating goodness while in

Just now, Page Turner said:

...I can only assume what pushed it over the edge was me, when I posted that video recording of Robert Service reciting "The Shooting of Dan McGrew" in his heavily Scots accented voice.:(

You bastard......I could feel in my water it was you.

• Heart 1

Rubbish. 

You were given the keys to your own P & R forum with basically no rules, no obligations, no restrictions. 

Because most of the time you couldn't keep yourself entertained there, you insisted in bringing your P & R crap into the Cafe. We couldn't open an Inspiration Quote of the Day without having to be subjected to your political views. 

Leave the Cafe alone. Wheels has been too kind if anything. Talk him into reopening P & R with your promises of actually following the rules this time but leave your politics there. 

When you inevitably violate your promises again, maybe accept your suspension and inevitable bannishment this time without your fake cries of surprise. 

• Heart 1

47 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Like this gem:

I didn't flip out over this.  Actually, I took it with a grain of salt.  It annoyed me mostly because of the context of me being too thin, because that is my hot button. 

34 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I would like some candy for DH.

I am over the candy now.  I don't want to eat it ever again.  OY!

Last night, huge headache and my body felt achy too.  Gross. 

We will see how I am next Oct 31st.  I have no willpower in social situations with candy and cake..

• Heart 2