SRAM Eagle 12

Dirtyhip

Now, I admit this thing looks sexy as hell.  Who wouldn't want a gold chain on their mountainbike?  The XX1 1x11 is sweet, but I really miss that extra easy gearing.  Mostly, I don't notice it, but riding in super steep terrain, my knees cry uncle now and then.  I find myself coveting the eagle a little.

Here is a sweet installation video and you get a close look at the gold goodness.  My main concern:  Isn't that derailleur arm getting drastically close to the ground?  Maybe this is job security for SRAM, so they can sell more replacement parts. I have never smacked my arm on a rock.  What I did was send a stick branch through my spokes and busted it in half.  OOF!

Anyway, the video is sexy.  Almost as sexy as <insert movie that gets you hot here>.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/sram-tech-eagle-installation-video-2016.html

• Heart 2

I have a 30 front crank ring, and the back is an 11 speed (10x42).  Running the 30 and the 42 is not as easy of a climbing feel as the double I had which was like a 22x34.  The 1x is nice for smooth shifting, ease of use and weight.  However that lack of really easy gear is sometimes noticeable on really super steep stuff.

Hope I explained this clearly.  My lingo lacks at times.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Amadeus said:

I meant since your smallest cog on the back goes down to 10, I assumed you could go smaller in the front.  With a 28 / 10 at 90 rpm you could go 20 mph.  I assume that is fast in the dirt, no?

Maybe.  ;) 

I really don't want to shrink my front ring.  That will cost me power and efficiency. 

Plus, I just really want a gold chain and cassette.  HAHA

• Heart 1

My favorite set up before I divested myself of my last MTB was a 26/38 front ring with a 9 speed 11/34 in the back.  It was SRAM X.9 as that was about the limit of the budget applied to that bike.

Now the old man hybrid is geared similar with a 50/34 front and an 11/32 rear but this one is an almost bullet proof 8 speed.  This chain may last for years.

Back in the 80's the cool kids ran the gold Regina Oro cassette and chains.  Bad ass!  I have no designs to replace my 2X10 set up and have all the gearing I need.  I get the simplicity and the clean look of a 1X set up and if my next bike has it fine but my Shimano SLX set up shifts fine.  It ramps up and down quickly with no issues whatsoever.