Norwegian bicycles and Fauber cranks

Page Turner

...here are some photos of a recent overhaul, with custom rattlecan glitter paint.  I've had and ridden the bike for well over 20 years. It's been out in a lot of weather, and one semester I used it out at UC Davis as my campus bike, even though I mostly commuted by car.  It's pretty technologically advanced for a 70's gaspipe 3 speed.  The Sachs IGH has always been a solid performer, and the front brake is the oldest dual pivot sidepull brake I've ever seen.

DBS Golden Star 002.JPGDBS Golden Star 003.JPGDBS Golden Star 005.JPGDBS Golden Star 007.JPGDBS Golden Star 009.JPG

Here is what a Fauber crank looks like from the outside and the inside.  At first, you might think it's a straight up one piece Ashtabula.

But when you take it apart, you can't get the thing to slide out of the frame without pulling the cups, which are threaded into the BB shell.

It's kind of a PIA to work on without the special tool for the cups, which no one makes or has any more, but it is an incredibly durable mechanism, which no one will probably disassemble again until I'm long gone.:)

DBS Golden Star 006.JPGFauber Crank 001.JPGFauber Crank 002.JPGFauber Crank 004.JPG

DBS made bikes domestically in Norway for a very long time, but eventually succumbed to Asian competition, like most of the other world bike manufacturers.

• Heart 3

• 3 weeks later...