Have I bit off more than I can chew?

petitepedal

Still wondering about my flooring gig...I have no clue...I hate to spend 2 to 3 grand and just make a mess of things...my non sleep had me thinking do the pro for the dining room, livingroom, kitchen hallway...and then punt...the rest of it?   :wacko:

I am confused and I still have a fricking headache...oh and have more or less tossed and turned the last 4 hours.

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Still wondering about my flooring gig...I have no clue...I hate to spend 2 to 3 grand and just make a mess of things...my non sleep had me thinking do the pro for the dining room, livingroom, kitchen hallway...and then punt...the rest of it?   :wacko:

I am confused and I still have a fricking headache...oh and have more or less tossed and turned the last 4 hours.

I agree with SW (it might be a first) but.....  The dining rooms are sometimes attached to kitchens which make for difficult cuts right off the bat.  The living room, if open to other rooms like the kitchen or dining room can make for difficult cuts as well.  Hallways are always full of difficult cuts (lots of doors and not much open run space).  Bedrooms are usually rectangle boxes and much easier that the others.  If I was stressing like you with concern about ability, I would start with the pros on the difficult rooms and them decide what part you might want to do after watching them carefully.  The thing about your flooring is that if you mess up a piece it's only a piece and you can cut another to fix it before you install it.  If it doesn't look right, fix it before you go to the next piece.  Your mistakes don't have to cost you the whole floor.  As saw a nailer and a tape measure (how tough can it be - I've never done vinyl planking.  do you use a nailer for vinyl planking).

YouTube is your friend.

...those do it yourself tongue and groove laminate plank floors don't require all that perfection in the leveling, because most of them have some sort of foam padding underlayment that you use as the base.  What will be a problem for you is pulling and reinstalling the trim, which does require some relatively simple tools to make it look good. This is especially true of the molding that you have at your doors and open passageways without doors.

In general, it makes a lot of sense to use a professional in many circumstances, because they have seen a lot of different situations (like your glue), and know what is important to the finished job, and what you can just ignore and cover over.  So this.  I now have one of the special saws that you use to cut the door molding straight flush at the bottom so it will clear your flooring.  But I didn't when I laid the stuff in our kitchen, and will eventually need to replace that molding, when it gets to the point where the crappy cuts on the bottom start to bother me.

And all those guys who do this kind of work will look at your job and give you a bid.  That's how they work.

Just nibble at it. You've got a floor, all you're doing is putting a cover on it. It's not like you have to walk on planks over joists till it's done.

If you will obsess over every little mistake, maybe you should hire a pro. You've done, mostly, the demo work. That should save some money.

Maybe hire the pro for the most visible room, pay attention to how they do things, and then do the rest yourself.

It's warm and dry and home, that's what matters. 

3 hours ago, Green Lettuce said:

I am (apparently) not good enough to work at the @Airehead estate.   :(

...I bet they would let you do certain low skilled jobs, like follow the dogs around and scoop the poop.:) I think there's something about OCD associated with the lawn mowing, though, so the landscaping is off limits.:(

• Heart 2

DAMN IT..when they painted the baseboard (from the dark stuff it was)...they stopped about an inch from the bottom..looks like a pretty good line showing...

I think this will be a two stage project...with new baseboard/molding coming next year!! :wacko: I cannot afford it this year and I have a limit to how much debit this project is gonna bring!

3 hours ago, petitepedal said:

DAMN IT..when they painted the baseboard (from the dark stuff it was)...they stopped about an inch from the bottom..looks like a pretty good line showing...

I think this will be a two stage project...with new baseboard/molding coming next year!! :wacko: I cannot afford it this year and I have a limit to how much debit this project is gonna bring!

...I've lived in houses I was working on for several years at a time without trim or molding.  What does not kill us makes us stronger.:console:

• Heart 1