Happy Little Christmas to all the women

Caretaker

Today is 'Little Christmas', 'the Feast of the Epiphany' aka Nollaig na Mban (women's Christmas) in Ireland when traditionally women put their feet up and are waited on hand and foot by the men.

One of the Irish writer Jamer Joyce's short stories from the book 'Dubliners' called 'the Dead' has in recent years become the focus for cultural gatherings usually involving a dinner and showings of the director John Huston's screen adaption.

The film and story centres round a family gathering in Edwardian Dublin to celebrate the Feast of the Epiphany and you can view it in seven parts (skip part 6 it's a repeat of an earlier one) on YouTube starting here.

• Heart 1

Why thank you!!  I use to hold a holiday party on the Saturday closest to the 6th..because pre Christmas was just too busy... and as a single person I did nothing Christmas Eve or Christmas Day..my celebration was "12th night" (more or less) But even that has gotten to be a hard draw...either in competition with another friend who has an open house...or people are just not into celebrating by January 6....

I like to keep the tradion...this year I did not because of the flooring and wall paper chaos...but next year...the tree will remain until the weekend after 12th night.