Jump to content

Can you ever throw out too much stuff?


petitepedal
 Share

Recommended Posts

Unlike RR I do not have a big garage and carport...I am not a hoarder but damn..when ya grow up poor you hang on to stuff...in  case you need it...or some crazy reason...like to make something cool..or whatever...

I just cleaned out the floors of my two bedroom closets..WOW dust...anyway...I need to get rid of more stuff...

That is all

Link to comment
Share on other sites



I am planning to die, slowly.  I don't want to leave a disaster for those that come in behind me to clear the place out.  We give away so much of our stuff.  We try to buy less.  The basement is the next area to tackle, that's just a mess, but I'm sure we'll give away lots of stuff from down there too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well...the benefit of a 2 bedroom condo with shared underground parking...2 storage units mostly hold bicycles or the box for the Christmas tree.. No attic no basement...so not as much as one would anticipate..I do like books and right now I have boxes of books everywhere...working on cutting some of those back too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

I do like books and right now I have boxes of books everywhere...working on cutting some of those back too.

I like books too, but they take up a lot of room, are heavy, and deteriorate rather quickly if not stored properly. I try to only buy electronic copies now. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

There are very, very few things I regret having gotten rid of.

Everything I throw out, I usually regret one week later when I stumble upon a great use or need for said item.  It's like one of them Murphy's Laws things.  Keep it and you'll never need it.  Throw it out, and it becomes the holy grail.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

Everything I throw out, I usually regret one week later when I stumble upon a great use or need for said item.  It's like one of them Murphy's Laws things.  Keep it and you'll never need it.  Throw it out, and it becomes the holy grail.

Nah, I figure "If I've had it all this time and haven't used it, I don't really need it". I am also fairly good at deciding "Do I really need this/am I really going to use it?" before buying stuff. It's easier (and cheaper) to not buy something in the first place.

Never could convince the ex of that, though. Last time I was there, I had a box of stuff and couldn't find a place to set it down.... <twitch, twitch>

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I try to keep useful things, but to a limit.  We toss out things and give things away all the time.  More importantly, we are more careful of what we bring into the house these days.  It needs to be necessary, useful, and made of good quality parts for longevity.  We try not to bring home a bunch of junk anymore.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

i don't think it's possible to throw out too much stuff.  Of course I don't actually follow this advice myself, but doing a big clean up is definitely one of my goals. Cleaning out my aunts apt and now having to clean out my parents old house really shows how much all your "treasures" can weigh you down.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, petitepedal said:

Well...the benefit of a 2 bedroom condo with shared underground parking...2 storage units mostly hold bicycles or the box for the Christmas tree.. No attic no basement...so not as much as one would anticipate..I do like books and right now I have boxes of books everywhere...working on cutting some of those back too.

I don't usually keep books.  Maybe some reference books or a nice historical book but most stuff I read I'm done with when I'm done.  I don't need stacks of books I will not read twice.  If I'm done with a book I will usually donate it.  If it's a new release I ask the library or I donate it to a senior center that has a library.  I understand the pleasure of a nice library but I don't understand book hoarders.  We have a couple people at work that love their books and d have rooms full of them - no thank you

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It would be nice to have a slightly larger home.  We have about 1000 square feet.  There are limited closets.  Two small closets in the bedrooms, one linen closet in a bathroom, and one pantry for food items in the kitchen and that is it.  Funky little house, but very affordable.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I don't usually keep books.  Maybe some reference books or a nice historical book but most stuff I read I'm done with when I'm done.  I don't need stacks of books I will not read twice.  If I'm done with a book I will usually donate it.  If it's a new release I ask the library or I donate it to a senior center that has a library.  I understand the pleasure of a nice library but I don't understand book hoarders.  We have a couple people at work that love their books and d have rooms full of them - no thank you

I have an entire shelf of cookbooks and culinary text books.  Some are really old.  I'm never getting rid of these, unless we move into a van.  Van life you can't have much.  Only a few pairs of shoes can fit..  :mellow:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...