So whatcha reading?

Ralphie

619N4AiVqvL.jpg

It's a novel set in 1977 in a town when I lived. I moved out in 1972 but know of a lot of the places mentioned. My father is buried in the grave yard that is part of the story and my aunt lives on one of the streets mentioned. I just started reading it last night so I'm sure there's more places of interest in it.

• Heart 1

On 1/7/2017 at 8:31 PM, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

51yMcr-PWcL._SX319_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I read this in college (I think a professor mentioned the book and/or Mr. Petroski in a class).  I loaned my copy to someone years ago but can't remember who... Looks like the library has a copy.  I also read his The Pencil which was pretty interesting (well, with a title like that, how could it not be?! ;) )

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Just finished this morning:

All-the-Gallant-Men-225x300.jpg

And your rating from 1 to 10?  I've done a ton of reading about the European/N African theater but for some reason I have done much less regarding the Pacific theater.  I am working on correcting that.  Is this recommended reading?

3 hours ago, Kzoo said:

And your rating from 1 to 10?

I'd give it 9, based on several reasons:

-I enjoy reading experiences written in the first person; people talking about what happened to them and how they dealt with situations

-The story read quickly, not embellished with disorganized flashbacks or semi-irrelevant, fill-the-pages-up sidebars

-When he gives his opinions, Mr. Stratton states them clearly, decisively, and without reservation, and does the same for supporting and justifying those opinions.

Another book very similar to this I'd recommend for the Pacific Theater is

51VPi19RGnL._SX330_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Remember MonkeyRider?  This was written by his uncle.  I've read the book Unbroken, and I would say No Uncle Sam was the better of the two.

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, Kzoo said:

And your rating from 1 to 10?  I've done a ton of reading about the European/N African theater but for some reason I have done much less regarding the Pacific theater.  I am working on correcting that.  Is this recommended reading?

Have you read Voices of the Pacific? My grandfather fought there and reading this was absolutely brutal. I cannot imagine going through what they went through.

• Heart 2

• 3 weeks later...

Recently finished:

Red Platoon

Missoula by Jon Krakauer

Boys in the Boat

Last year I read the Century Trilogy by Ken Follett, among other things.

Today I started Whistler by John Grisham  I was on an airplane for several hours.

On deck is The Man with the Red Bandana

And I think I'm going to read a book by Bill O'Reilly.  I'm told they are pretty good.