We've done this thread many times, but what do you like aboot where you live...

Ralphie

and where would you move to and why?

A recent United Van lines release said NJ is the most moved from state and South Dakota the most moved to.  The South Dakota thing has to be a temporary anomaly due to the Willistown? oil fields.  But simple science says it makes sense that people would tend to diffuse out of NJ as all we similarly charged particles repel repel each other in the most densely populated state. :D

I have gotten used to living in southern NJ and I a perfectly happy here, but who knows if I would like somewhere else better?  Of the places I have visited, western NC and eastern TN have been my favourite - just gorgeous mountains. Bumfuck, VA is pretty cool too (the western part of VA).  But I might be bored there, who knows.

Here I love the climate and the good biking roads, and the proximity to many varied areas - the ocean, tidal marshy areas, various cities.  Also, there is still some ruralness to be found amid the burgeoning suburbia, but many of the older suburbs are pretty cool too, with good restaurants and such.  The only real reason for me to leave is the high taxes, and possibly the FOMO.

So what aboot you?

I was born in raised in Kentucky just across the Ohio River from Cincinnati. I wouldn't mind living there.

I spent 1972 to 1977 in Clovis NM. There's no way in hell that I'd ever move back to that area. Well maybe fore $300K a year. Maybe.

I lived in England not very far from Oxford from 1988 to 1992 and would love to live there. However I don't think that I could afford to.

I've lived in various places just east of St. Louis over in Illinois from 1977 to 1988 then again from 1992 to the present. It's an OK place. Close enough to STL that we can enjoy things like major concerts and Cardinal baseball, but far enough away to avoid city life. As far as climate, it's in single digits now and can get over 100°F in the summer. Lots of bike paths and other things to do. Myself, the wife, and all 3 kids have had no trouble finding work. Unfortunately the city we live in now has gone downhill some. Many people who have escaped from East St. Louis have moved in the area. 99% are good people; however, we are averaging about one murder every two years within a mile of our home and other crimes are up.

There are no bugs

There is no snow

I can drive 10 minutes one way and climb a mountain

I can drive 10 minutes the other way and dive with Sea lions, wolf eels and the worlds largest breed of octopus.

I can cycle year round if I want to

There is a good selection of restaurants

There is a good selection of very good wines

The scenery is wonderful

• Heart 3

4 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

There are no bugs

There is no snow

I can drive 10 minutes the other way and dive with Sea lions, wolf eels and the worlds largest breed of octopus.

The scenery is wonderful

Mine sux because it is not where his ^^^^^ is. :angry:

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

There are no bugs

There is no snow

The scenery is wonderful

Sounds expensive. :)

carmel-by-the-sea-california-th.jpg

1 minute ago, Zephyr said:

The downsides are

Housing is expensive to buy

The place is crawling with people FROM British Columbia who think there is nothing worthwhile east of the Rockies

Wait!  There are still people from British Columbia there?  I saw none in that salt video I posted. :)  

• Heart 1

Today is not a good day to ask. I have not had base layer off in 3 weeks. The pass has had >100 inches of snow since Thanksgiving. Here in the lowlands (3500') we currently have more than a foot on the ground. It is snowing hard right now. 3" since this am. Temp is about 10 degrees

:(

Where I live is alright.  Winters are too long and cold, the body of water is too small, summers are too humid and there are way too many brain dead Maple Leafs fans.  As far as the periphery of a large city goes, it isn't horrible.  It will never be home though. 

I lived 60% of my life on the West Coast and nowhere else feels the same. 

• Heart 1

15 minutes ago, Scrapr said:

Today is not a good day to ask. I have not had base layer off in 3 weeks. The pass has had >100 inches of snow since Thanksgiving. Here in the lowlands (3500') we currently have more than a foot on the ground. It is snowing hard right now. 3" since this am. Temp is about 10 degrees

:(

Hey, it is winter in central Oregon.  What do you expect?  I essentially wear a wool base layer from late October until early spring, but we keep our house on the cool side and we are outdoors a lot of the time.

• Heart 1

I like the four seasons. Spring and Fall are both lovely and last several weeks if not months. Spring starts in March and that's a plus. We're close to the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic beaches. The Blue Ridge and Allegheny mountain ranges are not far in the other direction. The DC region has a lot of history and most of the activities are free. Good restaurants, abundant breweries and wineries are all in the area. If I moved I'd like to live in the Shenandoah Valley, between the Blue Ridge and the Alleghenies. Rural with small towns but close enough to visit DC for events and stuff.

The South Dakota population boom is also driven by retirees living in RVs and registering SD as their home state. No income tax is the primary reason.

• Heart 1

Pretty scenery,

easy to access all the city has to offer, but less crowded and easier to manage

4 seasons and usually weather isn't too extreme (although still not a fan of summer)

Family nearby

Reasons why I'd eventually move?  expensive area and high taxes, i think eventually my family may retire somewhere else

All my stuff is here. 

I never lived anywhere else but I have visited a lot of other places and even though I like some of the places that I have been I still like the small town that I live in. 

In 10 minutes from my house I can be running on the shore of Lake Michigan or trail running in the hills of the Kettle Moraine or watching top notch racing at Road America. 

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, ChrisL said:

The weather, being close to the ocean and did I say the weather?   Had lunch at the beach today and walked along the peir in a T shirt & jeans.  Did mention I like the weather?

...it's kind of a stretch to call what you get down there "weather", don't you think ?

• Heart 1

12 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I like the privacy of where I live, my Amish neighbors, the five or so lakes within cycling distance, my son and granddaughters close by, the summers are great, there is a world class fitness and aquatics canter within five miles that is never crowded.

I really like the pics you post of your area, 'specially with the snow.

• Heart 1