Our offer was accepted on our new house

Dottleshead

5 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Now you can begin to find out what the repairs really cost.  :whistle:  I can hardly wait to find out what today is going to cost me.  I have the original estimate (that almost stopped my heart) and I expect other "things" to be found during the job and inspection.

Yeah, I'm mentally prepared to become a house bound waste-oid and a pauper.  Since all my disposable income will be going into the house now, I suspect I'll be dropping weight -- just trying to stay on top of the yard and going out to dinner less -- by riding my bike more because that's about all I will be able to afford for recreation.  As a positive, I'm moving into a great area for some incredible hikes too.  There are a lot of things house poor folk can do.

• Heart 1

On 1/15/2017 at 5:12 PM, Wilbur said:

Either screwing with you or waiting on other offers.  More likely the latter. 

They can't entertain new offers while the house is under contract.

I agree with Scrapr, they wanted to sell. If they were to relist, they'd have to disclose all of the items found on the inspection, they don't want to do that.

When I bought my house this time last year, we got $7000 for concrete work found on inspection (the rear patio slab has sunk since construction). When we went to spend the money for repairs, the concrete company said the concrete pad was sooo thick they couldn't do any thing to move it, but it wasn't going anywhere. So we pocketed about $6000 from that repair to re-appropriate elsewhere.

When I sold my house last year, the buyer waived an inspection as part of the negotiation. I'm sure that saved me some $ in the end.

Congratulations, dotman!

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

No... Moving is the hardest part!

I'm now officially at that point in my life were I no longer move things.  I've moved so many times and have helped others move so many times that I've officially retired from moving things.  I save that for the professionals now.  It's one of my secrets to a healthy back.  :P

• Heart 1

We're down to like 10 days or sooner before close.  I can hardly stand it.  My wife and I met with an agent last night who let us in so we could measure the fireplace insert.  Plan is to replace the wood stove with a pellet one.  I never thought I'd be so excited about moving to a house nor just as excited about the prospect of heating my house with a new stove.

• Heart 3

Congrats.  Are you excited, or freaked out at the big numbers?

Usually, I get excited first.  Then, I would sign the stack of docs at the title agency and my palms would sweat as I looked over the docs and signed. As I left it was a mixture of excitement and then a little buyers remorse.  Those huge numbers always screw with my head.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Congrats.  Are you excited, or freaked out at the big numbers?

Usually, I get excited first.  Then, I would sign the stack of docs at the title agency and my palms would sweat as I looked over the docs and signed. As I left it was a mixture of excitement and then a little buyers remorse.  Those huge numbers always screw with my head.

I'm really, really excited.  But we've been making due w/ what we have for years and consequently I've had a lot of disposable income.  Not anymore.  My mortgage payment is going up about $800.  And now my wife is having complications from her neck surgery and I'm not sure if/when she'll be able to return.  Having her income takes the pressure off.  Still, I have no remorse.  But if this move turns out to be stifling down the road -- then I will.  Also, my commute just got longer by 20 minutes each way so undoubtedly that will wear on me to.

DH, now that's it's all over, do you still feel the same way?  Or do you look back and say, "We made the right move"?  Literally.

• Heart 1

Just now, dotman17 said:

I'm really, really excited.  But we've been making due w/ what we have for years and consequently I've had a lot of disposable income.  Not anymore.  My mortgage payment is going up about $800.  And now my wife is having complications from her neck surgery and I'm not sure if/when she'll be able to return.  Having her income takes the pressure off.  Still, I have no remorse.  But if this move turns out to be stifling down the road -- then I will.  Also, my commute just got longer by 20 minutes each way so undoubtedly that will wear on me to.

DH, now that's it's all over, do you still feel the same way?  Or do you look back and say, "We made the right move"?  Literally.

We bought in a bubble and proceeded to dump tens of thousands into a home as the market for home crashed.  Bad timing.  It's almost paid off now, and I like living where we are.  

Bad timing on that one though, so yeah...regrets.    

Our rental home it was all excitement.  We were preparing to leave the big city and change our life.  I was super excited and not scared at all.  

My first home that I bought as a single woman, I was so scared after I signed.  It was all up to me, with a high interest rate and my first home purchase.  It really scared the crap out of me.  

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

We bought in a bubble and proceeded to dump tens of thousands into a home as the market for home crashed.  Bad timing.  It's almost paid off now, and I like living where we are.  

Bad timing on that one though, so yeah...regrets.    

Our rental home it was all excitement.  We were preparing to leave the big city and change our life.  I was super excited and not scared at all.  

My first home that I bought as a single woman, I was so scared after I signed.  It was all up to me, with a high interest rate and my first home purchase.  It really scared the crap out of me.  

I turn 50 in June and I work in a field that is a young person's game.  I'm not as quick as I used to be and I'm not talented as some of the younger ones so I do have concerns -- especially as I move forward -- that I could be without a job (well that will happen -- just a matter of how long I can stave it off) and my mortgage payment would be much more difficult to pay off during 'unemployment' times.  Still, I believe the market we are buying in will continue to grow until new ones hit the market and even then, I think we're in a good spot.  My credit has been really, really good and my loan officer made me feel good about it.  Yet, all it takes is for me to lose a job and miss a couple payments to go down the crapper.  But right now, I'm just looking forward to everything.  I believe I have made the right decision.  The honeymoon will wear off though and that's when I feel like I can truly answer this question.

• Heart 1

Good luck.  I bought my first house during the boom times and used the proceeds from that one to buy this one.  The market has not been as kind these last 30 years and I doubt that I would want to suffer a sale and move as I've invested much more than I will ever get back.

Youngest son is now fully moved back in and he will undoubtedly lose his condo, probably to a foreclosure as jobs in this area are hard to get.  I'm trying to convince him to test the waters as a temp even if it involves travel.  He is however not as flexible as I was at his age.  

8 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Youngest son is now fully moved back in and he will undoubtedly lose his condo, probably to a foreclosure as jobs in this area are hard to get.  I'm trying to convince him to test the waters as a temp even if it involves travel.  He is however not as flexible as I was at his age.  

By choice?