Jump to content

Whose bike is this?


jsharr
 Share

Recommended Posts



that stem has got to be some custom fabrication. It looks like an old school stem fitted into a new style stem that's been chopped

if they didn't weld it, I have no idea how it holds itself together

 

but no, not my bike. That has a soft tail rear suspension. My old diamond back is a hardtail

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

that stem has got to be some custom fabrication. It looks like an old school stem fitted into a new style stem that's been chopped

if they didn't weld it, I have no idea how it holds itself together

 

but no, not my bike. That has a soft tail rear suspension. My old diamond back is a hardtail

If by custom fabrication you mean taking a hacksaw to a threadless stem to hack the bar clamp off and then shoving an old quill stem in there with the wedge nut partially exposed, then yeah, that there is custom as shit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

If by custom fabrication you mean taking a hacksaw to a threadless stem to hack the bar clamp off and then shoving an old quill stem in there with the wedge nut partially exposed, then yeah, that there is custom as shit.

taking a hacksaw to a perfectly good stem and shoving some old quill down in there and leaving the wedge nut hanging out IS custom fabrication

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

taking a hacksaw to a perfectly good stem and shoving some old quill down in there and leaving the wedge nut hanging out IS custom fabrication

I can hear the banjos now.  Sorry I have to leave but we have to get to the river to go canoeing.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

b8f372e2-5a81-4845-a706-fe5781e7b983_400...the custom fabrication adhesive of choice among the cognoscenti.  

I have a question for the cognoscenti.  I've never used J-B Weld.  Is it water proof.  Not is it water resistant, but proof.  Surprisingly, most epoxies in general use aren't.  They deteriorate under constant exposure to water.  There are however special marine epoxies that are supposed to be water proof.

This is an example of a good data sheet for epoxy:  http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/594118O/3m-scotch-weld-epoxy-adhesive-ec-2216-b-a.pdf

TK would approve of that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Upon further examination, it is not water proof but only water resistant.  This from J-B themselves.

When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, try our SteelStik or WaterWeld.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...