Whose bike is this?

jsharr

that stem has got to be some custom fabrication. It looks like an old school stem fitted into a new style stem that's been chopped

if they didn't weld it, I have no idea how it holds itself together

but no, not my bike. That has a soft tail rear suspension. My old diamond back is a hardtail

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Nate said:

that stem has got to be some custom fabrication. It looks like an old school stem fitted into a new style stem that's been chopped

if they didn't weld it, I have no idea how it holds itself together

but no, not my bike. That has a soft tail rear suspension. My old diamond back is a hardtail

If by custom fabrication you mean taking a hacksaw to a threadless stem to hack the bar clamp off and then shoving an old quill stem in there with the wedge nut partially exposed, then yeah, that there is custom as shit.

11 minutes ago, jsharr said:

If by custom fabrication you mean taking a hacksaw to a threadless stem to hack the bar clamp off and then shoving an old quill stem in there with the wedge nut partially exposed, then yeah, that there is custom as shit.

taking a hacksaw to a perfectly good stem and shoving some old quill down in there and leaving the wedge nut hanging out IS custom fabrication

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Nate said:

taking a hacksaw to a perfectly good stem and shoving some old quill down in there and leaving the wedge nut hanging out IS custom fabrication

I can hear the banjos now.  Sorry I have to leave but we have to get to the river to go canoeing.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Page Turner said:

b8f372e2-5a81-4845-a706-fe5781e7b983_400...the custom fabrication adhesive of choice among the cognoscenti.  

I have a question for the cognoscenti.  I've never used J-B Weld.  Is it water proof.  Not is it water resistant, but proof.  Surprisingly, most epoxies in general use aren't.  They deteriorate under constant exposure to water.  There are however special marine epoxies that are supposed to be water proof.

This is an example of a good data sheet for epoxy:  http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/594118O/3m-scotch-weld-epoxy-adhesive-ec-2216-b-a.pdf

TK would approve of that.

Upon further examination, it is not water proof but only water resistant.  This from J-B themselves.

When fully cured, J-B Weld is completely resistant to water, gasoline, and about every other petroleum product or automotive chemical. For wet-surface or submerged water or gasoline repairs, try our SteelStik or WaterWeld.

• Heart 1