The saga continues

maddmaxx

Ebay informed me today that someone tried to access my account again.

"OK, if you can't protect it and if you won't limit the destination address to mine and mine only close the account"  Bye  There goes a 15 year old account with over 250 good purchases on it.  I may not return.

I fear that in the future we will find that this type of problem becomes more common.

Just now, Reverend_Maynard said:

Ebay is a little too "wild west" for my tastes.  For most anything, I'd rather pay the extra to buy through amazon or something.

They were great for a number of years.  I could find things that were no longer made, bicycle parts from many different sources.  Lately their business model has started to bother me.  I see some of those same practices creeping into Amazon as well.  The latest one is the number of things being sold "prime" that are announced as taking 1 or more weeks to arrive even though I have free 2 day shipping "prime".  Companies need to police their vendors.

For certain items (used, collectibles, etc.) they are probably still the best (only) source, but for new items I'll pay at least 20% more to a reputable storefront, I think.

I don't have prime, so I'm not sure on the details of what you've said, but it's not surprising that some items, especially if they are not good candidates for air freight, would be exceptions to the 2 day policy.  If it's up front before you click the "add to cart", I don't see too big of a deal.  If we're talking about regular items that are not eligible just because the company doesn't want to honor the Prime agreement, that sounds like an issue.

8 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

They were great for a number of years.  I could find things that were no longer made, bicycle parts from many different sources.  Lately their business model has started to bother me.  I see some of those same practices creeping into Amazon as well.  The latest one is the number of things being sold "prime" that are announced as taking 1 or more weeks to arrive even though I have free 2 day shipping "prime".  Companies need to police their vendors.

The only time I've seen this is when the items purchased were not from Amazon but from one of their associated venders and sold through Amazon.  I don't have Prime but I still make several purchases a year.  Every time I buy direct from Amazon I have it within 2 or 3 days.  If it comes from one of the other Amazon sources there is always a shipment delay.

On the Prime thing......if an item is advertised as prime and you have a membership you should be guaranteed to get what you pay for.  If a vendor can't deliver then it shouldn't be marked prime. Very simple.

I also buy a lot of stuff that comes by container from Japan or China that can take up to 5 weeks to arrive.  I don't mind because it is not advertised as Prime.

one thing about EBay...I never bid on anything outside the USA. Not because I'm a racist xenophobic deplorable Trump voter...but because outside the US I have little recourse if the vendor screws me. Things get held up in customs all the time. How do I know that they shipped anything at all? by the time I've figured out I've been screwed, the money will be long gone

so on EBay and Amazon I only buy from sellers in the continental US

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Nate said:

one thing about EBay...I never bid on anything outside the USA. Not because I'm a racist xenophobic deplorable Trump voter...but because outside the US I have little recourse if the vendor screws me. Things get held up in customs all the time. How do I know that they shipped anything at all? by the time I've figured out I've been screwed, the money will be long gone

so on EBay and Amazon I only buy from sellers in the continental US

In my hobby, the finest producers of plastic models are outside the USA.  Not all of their products are available in this country and Ebay and Amazon are the only practical way to obtain them.  I have never been stiffed by a company outside the US.  I do pick carefully, chosing companies with lots of sales and an overall good review however.

Bicycle brifters from Ireland (new old stock since europe is more into touring bikes than we are.  Chain Reaction Cycles).

Kato Structures for N scale railroads not otherwise available in the US purchased direct from Japan.  (my favorite is The Japan Toy Store in Amazon).

IMO the risk of getting hacked like I did is not at the vendor because they don't get all the numbers but is much higher at Ebay and Paypal themselves.

14 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

In my hobby, the finest producers of plastic models are outside the USA.  Not all of their products are available in this country and Ebay and Amazon are the only practical way to obtain them.  I have never been stiffed by a company outside the US.  I do pick carefully, chosing companies with lots of sales and an overall good review however.

Bicycle brifters from Ireland (new old stock since europe is more into touring bikes than we are.  Chain Reaction Cycles).

Kato Structures for N scale railroads not otherwise available in the US purchased direct from Japan.  (my favorite is The Japan Toy Store in Amazon).

IMO the risk of getting hacked like I did is not at the vendor because they don't get all the numbers but is much higher at Ebay and Paypal themselves.

I didn't know you built plastic models. One thing I did buy on EBay 4 or 5 years ago when I was laid up over the winter was one of those Tamiya 12:1 scale big models of the 1968 Lotus 49. The kit itself was backstock from just before the 1968 Grand Prix season. I paid a real premium to get a kit from a seller in the USA, though. around $200 USD for just the kit. But you have a point there...some things are only available overseas.

I buy mostly music equipment and old records so there's enough retailers in the US for me.

Which kit did you get, the John Player Special with Andretti and Peterson as drivers?  One additional source is Tamiya itself via their online store.  Try Tamiya.com and select Tamiya USA from the map tabs.  They should be reopening the store today or tomorrow following the annual inventory.

The answer is yes, as a Tamiyaophile that's one of the reasons I shop in Japan.  The middlemen do not always chose to import everything into this country all the time but most of it is available direct from hobby shops in Japan.  Similar situations exist for Academy out of Korea, Bandai from Japan, the previously mentioned Kato of Japan and Trix.  

Having worked in a hobby shop I found that there were many things I simply couldn't get through American Channels.

4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Which kit did you get, the John Player Special with Andretti and Peterson as drivers?  One additional source is Tamiya itself via their online store.  Try Tamiya.com and select Tamiya USA from the map tabs.  They should be reopening the store today or tomorrow following the annual inventory.

The answer is yes, as a Tamiyaophile that's one of the reasons I shop in Japan.  The middlemen do not always chose to import everything into this country all the time but most of it is available direct from hobby shops in Japan.  Similar situations exist for Academy out of Korea, Bandai from Japan, the previously mentioned Kato of Japan and Trix.  

Having worked in a hobby shop I found that there were many things I simply couldn't get through American Channels.

no, the old 1968 open wheeled kit. The last year they were national colors, so it was British Racing Green with yellow highlights. I actually painted every single piece except the chrome parts.

I took pictures of the build and sent them to my dad. I'll see if I can dig them up and if I can, I'll post a thread tonight for you with the pics. You'll get a kick out of them

I used to build models when I was a kid. 5 years old playing with glue, paint, sharp knives...I don't know how we survived. Nobody had to tell us not to drink the paint or try and eat the glue, either

but when I had that series of 5 winters where I was injured and laid up, I built a couple models. The first was the HMS Victory and then the next year I did the Lotus 49

if I do another, I'd like to build that large scale USS Constitution, but do it right and make a trip up to see the ship and take pictures and all that.