NY bike path plan

jdc2000

Cuomo proposed spending $200 million over three years to pave 350 miles of gaps in the existing greenways

51 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

If it's PAVED, it's not a "trail". :angry:

If the state created the trails with stone dust instead of paving, the 350 miles in gaps would be closed for less money and in less time, and all the wonderful benefits mentioned by the Governor would accrue to the state and its citizens all that much sooner.

So, one has to ask, if that is so, why the requirement for paving and who benefits?

Keep in mind, too, that in NY most rail trail segments are maintained by the municipality or county in which the trail runs.  Once the state builds the trails, it walks away from those maintenance costs.

I think this is a wonderful announcement and I truly hope it all comes to fruition, but I hope you'll pardon my NY cynicism when I say I'll believe it when I see it.

out here in the sticks we have to make do with open country roads :P

mountainRd07.jpg

New York city slickers WISH they could ride stuff like what I got right in my backyard...except for right now while we still got the place wall papered with Trump/Pence signs

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Nate said:

mountainRd07.jpg

New York city slickers WISH they could ride stuff like what I got right in my backyard...except for right now while we still got the place wall papered with Trump/Pence signs

When I get off my trail, which I use to get from place to place, that is the sort of road riding that I have around here.  It sort of looks like where I grew up another town over.

do you have a whole network of roads like that, or just a few? sometimes the way the geography of a place is...water, mountains, hiways and whatnot there's only a couple viable roads like these in a place.

the thing I love about my area is that I have a rather large "territory" of backroads. Since our areas have been settled since the colonial days, and there were a number of grain mills around here, there are back roads all through this area. Almost everything is winding back and forth, up and down...just like that one there. most of the time you don't see other riders or many cars just because you can only see up the road for a little ways before you lose line of sight. Its great riding. Always something coming up, always new vistas

I just love the place

1 hour ago, Nate said:

mountainRd07.jpg

That right there looks like some of the coarsest chip seal I've ever seen.  That road and an aluminum frame looks to buzz the fillings right out of your molars.

7 minutes ago, Nate said:

do you have a whole network of roads like that, or just a few? sometimes the way the geography of a place is...water, mountains, hiways and whatnot there's only a couple viable roads like these in a place.

the thing I love about my area is that I have a rather large "territory" of backroads. Since our areas have been settled since the colonial days, and there were a number of grain mills around here, there are back roads all through this area. Almost everything is winding back and forth, up and down...just like that one there. most of the time you don't see other riders or many cars just because you can only see up the road for a little ways before you lose line of sight. Its great riding. Always something coming up, always new vistas

I just love the place

I live in one of those country towns on the periphery of Eastern CT farm country.  My Airline Trail runs across more than half the state as a rock dusted rails to trails complex.  I can use that trail to cross areas of heavy road traffic, ie 60 mph cars on a two lane road with drain traps on the edge for the unwary cyclist.  Once into the farm country there are roads galore just like yours.  Roads around lakes in slow speed limit cottage country.  In other directions....not so good as you approach the suburban areas closer to Hartford and New London.  I expect that Reverend Maynard has some similar roads just across the border in RI.

For all of that I still love riding on Cape Cod, not so much for the riding itself, but for the stops at small ice cream shops, beaches or Pubs for lunch.  More traffic but more destinations as well.

19 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

That right there looks like some of the coarsest chip seal I've ever seen.  That road and an aluminum frame looks to buzz the fillings right out of your molars.

toughen up, buttercup

Pennsylvania is an Indian word meaning "Shitty roads"

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Nate said:

toughen up, buttercup

Pennsylvania is an Indian word meaning "Shitty roads"

Well that explains why 81 is always under construction.

5 minutes ago, Zackny said:

Well that explains why 81 is always under construction.

no, 81 and the turnpike are always under construction so we can funnel federal hiway funds into the ass pocket of one of our elected representative's' cousins

5 hours ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

If the state created the trails with stone dust instead of paving,

.....then the snowmobiles they let use the trails in the winter wouldn't chew the shit out of the asphalt they let them use....

Still wondering who the genius is that paved portions of the canal that they let snowmobiles on. Undoubtedly someone who has never heard the words "carbide studs". Either don't pave it or don't allow snowmobiles.

13 hours ago, Kzoo said:

That chip seal is smooooth compared to what they put down in my area.  We refer to it as "boulders and Cheez Whiz".  Right now, two U.S. highways in my area have 50 mile long sections where the speed limit is 45 mph due to seal coating that was done with gravel that was too large and low quality "tar", so that the rock did not stick to the road surface.

17 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

.....then the snowmobiles they let use the trails in the winter wouldn't chew the shit out of the asphalt they let them use....

Still wondering who the genius is that paved portions of the canal that they let snowmobiles on. Undoubtedly someone who has never heard the words "carbide studs". Either don't pave it or don't allow snowmobiles.

We do not allow motorized vehicles on our rails to trails.  That of course doesn't stop anyone so we just report them and point the authorities at the fools who park their trucks with quad ramps lowered near the trail head.

7 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

We do not allow motorized vehicles on our rails to trails.

NY does, in some places. In the nearby state park, there's a section where the XC skiers and snowmobiles share a trail. Last time I skied there, I got to that spot and the sleds had ripped it right to bare dirt. I went from skiing to hiking. :angry: